Lions trade TE T.J. Hockenson to Vikings for 2nd, swap of picks

TheKillerNacho

On 11/3/2022 at 4:05 PM, LeotheLion said:

Assuming SRP is 2nd round pick then I'd definitely rather have the straight 3rd. Especially as the Lions that need have holes a plenty. 

That's just an insane concept.  Let's assume you're going to get a mid-to-late (18-24 range) SRP for Hockenson.  Moving down from that pick to a similar pick in the 3rd round is worth an additional mid-3rd round pick worth of value.  Even if you trade into the early parts of the 3rd round (1-5), you're getting an early 4th round pick worth of value on top of that.   There's literally no variation that you should ever prefer a 3rd round pick instead of sending a 4th round pick to get back a SRP.  You take that opportunity to get the higher pick everytime.  If you need more picks, you can always trade down but you can't afford to miss out on superior prospects.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really get why Detroit would move a top, young offensive weapon for so little.  But i guess that's none of my business.

TJ Hockenson's best season was 2020 when he had 67 receptions, 723 yards, and 6 TDs.

Those numbers don't qualify him as a top offensive weapon imo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's just an insane concept.  Let's assume you're going to get a mid-to-late (18-24 range) SRP for Hockenson.  Moving down from that pick to a similar pick in the 3rd round is worth an additional mid-3rd round pick worth of value.  Even if you trade into the early parts of the 3rd round (1-5), you're getting an early 4th round pick worth of value on top of that.   There's literally no variation that you should ever prefer a 3rd round pick instead of sending a 4th round pick to get back a SRP.  You take that opportunity to get the higher pick everytime.  If you need more picks, you can always trade down but you can't afford to miss out on superior prospects.

It's amazing that folks can see this any other way--pretty objective stuff.

5 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

TJ Hockenson's best season was 2020 when he had 67 receptions, 723 yards, and 6 TDs.

Those numbers don't qualify him as a top offensive weapon imo. 

Behind JJ and Cook, he'll probably be our 3rd best option. Thielen is still good in a limited role and Osborn is fine in the slot, but neither are really anything special this year.

Really bizarre for Detroit. Their offense has been awesome when all skill players are active. And they don’t even have Jameson Williams yet. Sure they need a defense but Cincy showed everyone last year you can build an entire competent defense in one offseason.

I really don’t get why bad teams keep just giving their good players away for the suspense of the draft pick.

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

Some bizarre behind-LoS screens towards him they kept trying to do, but he looked like a very reliable downfield receiver.

they have been trying those TE screens even in previous games this season with Mundt but they are just not working. Screen game has been trash so far this season