Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's a weight threshold now? 

Might just be a coincidence, but it seems like since Pettine was hired as DC they've preferred their EDGE on the heavier (255+) side.

Kinglsey Enagbare: 258 lbs
Jonathan Garvin: 264 lbs
Rashan Gary: 277 lbs

And you look at the roster, there's no sub-255 lb EDGE on the board.  Compare that to pre-Pettine (2018), and the Packers drafted:

Vince Biegel: 246 lbs
Kyler Fackrell: 245 lbs
Nick Perry: 271 lbs
Clay Matthews: 240 lbs

To me, there was a clear philosophical shift sometime around when Mike Pettine got to the Packers.  They seem to prefer their EDGE with a bit more sand in their pants.

These are the things that I like to look at, CWood.  But I think that it only applies to draft picks.  We have had Justin Hollins, Tipa Galeai, Randy Ramsey, *Kyler Fackrell, and James Crawford, at the position since Pettine became DC, all under 255.  Only Fackrell was a draft pick, but he was drafted with Capers in house.  

We have also had other guys that didn't spend time on the roster, as far as I can find, but were on the preseason team, that were also sub 255.  

I think you are on to something, but I don't know if it is 100% hammered out yet.  It seems like there is room for one edge guy per season to throw a bit of a change-up to the pass rush.  And it also seems like they won't take them in the draft.  With out doing a super deep dive, could it be that sub 260ish edge guys that can hold up against 310 pound tackles are just very rare? 

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

These are the things that I like to look at, CWood.  But I think that it only applies to draft picks.  We have had Justin Hollins, Tipa Galeai, Randy Ramsey, *Kyler Fackrell, and James Crawford, at the position since Pettine became DC, all under 255.  Only Fackrell was a draft pick, but he was drafted with Capers in house.  

We have also had other guys that didn't spend time on the roster, as far as I can find, but were on the preseason team, that were also sub 255.  

I think you are on to something, but I don't know if it is 100% hammered out yet.  It seems like there is room for one edge guy per season to throw a bit of a change-up to the pass rush.  And it also seems like they won't take them in the draft.  With out doing a super deep dive, could it be that sub 260ish edge guys that can hold up against 310 pound tackles are just very rare? 

Sub-260 Edge Guys stout enough to defend against the run would probably be more accurate. That's usually where they fail- as evidenced by those times we suffered injuries to our starting Edges and had to rely on those sub-260 backups for stretches of time and watched them get manhandled by the O-Liners.

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I believe with the exception of Kyler Fackrell (and to a much lesser extent Justin Hollins), they were all primarily ST guys.  James Crawford has 0 defensive snaps with Green Bay, Kyler Fackrell went from 623 snaps (10.5 sack season) to 415 snaps (1 sack season), Randy Ramsey played in 75 snaps, Tipa Galeai played in 161 defensive snaps over 3 seasons, and Justin Hollins played in 128 snaps over 6 games.

And I think it's a stark difference between what was invested in those players and the "bigger" guys they've actually drafted.  With the exception of Fackrell, none of those guys were drafted by Green Bay.  But you're not putting 265+ guys out on ST that aren't blockers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Might just be a coincidence, but it seems like since Pettine was hired as DC they've preferred their EDGE on the heavier (255+) side.

Kinglsey Enagbare: 258 lbs
Jonathan Garvin: 264 lbs
Rashan Gary: 277 lbs

And you look at the roster, there's no sub-255 lb EDGE on the board.  Compare that to pre-Pettine (2018), and the Packers drafted:

Vince Biegel: 246 lbs
Kyler Fackrell: 245 lbs
Nick Perry: 271 lbs
Clay Matthews: 240 lbs

To me, there was a clear philosophical shift sometime around when Mike Pettine got to the Packers.  They seem to prefer their EDGE with a bit more sand in their pants.

The heavy edge was a thing with Pettine, but Barry just inherited them in GB. He was asked that question in his first press conference and said his system worked with either. Clay Matthews was a square peg for a round hole with Pettine, but he left and killed it in LA with Barry. Players like Nolan Smith and McDonald very well could be in play for the Packers where as in past years, Pettine's years, there was no chance. 

• Like 1

Any defensive coordinator who would draft a guy like Will Anderson because he's 10 pounds too light should be fired. He weighted 253 at the combine but was listed at 245 at Alabama. I'll bet he'll play closer to the 245 than 253. Speed and quickness are two of his best traits but he's a pass rushing beast. 

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pro-day-news-and-rumors-will-mcdonald-xavier-hutchinson-and-andrei-iosivas-star-at-iowa-state-and-princeton-pro-days/

As expected, the star of the show was Will McDonald IV. His 40 times came in at 4.62 to 4.65 seconds. McDonald ran the 40 wearing a short sleeve hoody. NFL personnel people joked he would’ve run under 4.60 seconds without the extra draft.

His three-cone times were as fast as 6.60 seconds, and his short shuttle was 4.21 seconds. He looked terrific in drills, and there were many compliments about McDonald’s agility and ability to bend. The only criticism I heard was McDonald looked off balance because he’s “Too fast for his body.”

He's the one who listed Pewaukee as his home town!  Totally a guy that I'm going to follow in the draft and in his career.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

That's a fine time for him. Happy he hit 4.5. 

Fast enough, like him, but the biggest hurdle is the Packers WR in the first round history, and will the need to get Love weapons change it. 

Edited by NFLGURU