Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

5 minutes ago, Striker said:

The Colts with Ehlinger might give them a win. And maybe the Jaguars/Commanders/Titans slip up? Luckily all four of these teams have shaky QB play, so they could stumble into 3 wins total. Carolina has a worse schedule ahead of them than the Texans.

However, to your point, the Packers will probably stumble into a few wins even though losing out would be better. 

If I were a betting man, I'd put them at 6 wins.  And their SOS isn't going to do them any favors, so they'll be picking towards the end of the 6 win teams.  Green Bay has the highest SOS of any team in the NFL.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think they've got two very winnable games (at Chicago, vs Detroit) plus I think the home game coming off a bye against the Rams could also be another win.

Weve had at least 3 winnable games out of the 5 we just lost. Being winnable and actually expecting to win are very different things.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

If I were a betting man, I'd put them at 6 wins.  And their SOS isn't going to do them any favors, so they'll be picking towards the end of the 6 win teams.  Green Bay has the highest SOS of any team in the NFL.

Agree

3-5 feels right at this point

Just now, chefj85 said:

Weve had at least 3 winnable games out of the 5 we just lost. Being winnable and actually expecting to win are very different things.

You act like we were blown out in those 5 losses.  The average margin of victory in those 5 losses were 8 including 3 that were by a TD or less.  The Packers are a better team than their record indicates.  I'm not saying they're good, but they're not a 3-6 team.  Probably 4-5 or 5-4.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

You act like we were blown out in those 5 losses.  The average margin of victory in those 5 losses were 8 including 3 that were by a TD or less.  The Packers are a better team than their record indicates.  I'm not saying they're good, but they're not a 3-6 team.  Probably 4-5 or 5-4.

Its the fact that they keep finding ways to lose, though. At some point, you are what your record says you are. We’re a ****ty football team. Period.

Just now, Malfatron said:

I bet we pick 11th

Which isnt too bad or good

I don't have any reason to believe that we're going to see substantial change in SOS over the second half of the season, so it'd be interesting to see where 6 win teams end up picking over the last few years.  Last year, only one team finished with 6 wins and they picked 7th.  The 7 win teams picked 8-11.  In 2021 (16 game season), 6 win teams picked 10-12.  So that seems about right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't have any reason to believe that we're going to see substantial change in SOS over the second half of the season, so it'd be interesting to see where 6 win teams end up picking over the last few years.  Last year, only one team finished with 6 wins and they picked 7th.  The 7 win teams picked 8-11.  In 2021 (16 game season), 6 win teams picked 10-12.  So that seems about right.

Theres a lot of crappy teams this year, so i bet theres several 6 win teams and packers get worst pick of them all

Edited by Malfatron

Just now, chefj85 said:

Its the fact that they keep finding ways to lose, though. At some point, you are what your record says you are. We’re a ****ty football team. Period.

I'm not saying we're a good football team by any means, but Rodgers threw 3 INTs and the Packers went 0-4 in the red zone.  I believe Rodgers hasn't thrown 3 INTs in a game since 2017 and I believe we're 13th in RZ% at 59%.  Detroit didn't win that game, the Packers lost it.

Just now, Malfatron said:

Theres a lot of crappy teams this year, so i bet theres several 6 win teams and packers get worst pick of them all

Just looking at the current draft order, I think Houston and Carolina are picking 1 and 2.  Aside from divisional games (which are a toss-up), they have winnable games against Denver, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.  They could easily squeak out more than one win, but their SOS is nowhere near as strong as Green Bay's.  Pittsburhg is fifty shades of lost, and they're not going to win very many games.  They've got Indianapolis, Carolina, and Las Vegas as winnable games.  I think they'd be lucky if they won one more.  Detroit looked absolutely lost going into today's game.  In their first three losses, they lost by an average of 3 points.  In their next 3 losses, they lost by an average of 17.  Detroit has Jacksonville, Carolina, and Chiago.  Unless this team starts to develop towards the end of the season, there's probably one or two more wins here.  Jacksonville has Detroit and Houston on the schedule, so there's likely 1 or 2 more wins there.  And this is assuming that the Packers manage not to win another game, which I think is unlikely at best.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just looking at the current draft order, I think Houston and Carolina are picking 1 and 2.  Aside from divisional games (which are a toss-up), they have winnable games against Denver, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.  They could easily squeak out more than one win, but their SOS is nowhere near as strong as Green Bay's.  Pittsburhg is fifty shades of lost, and they're not going to win very many games.  They've got Indianapolis, Carolina, and Las Vegas as winnable games.  I think they'd be lucky if they won one more.  Detroit looked absolutely lost going into today's game.  In their first three losses, they lost by an average of 3 points.  In their next 3 losses, they lost by an average of 17.  Detroit has Jacksonville, Carolina, and Chiago.  Unless this team starts to develop towards the end of the season, there's probably one or two more wins here.  Jacksonville has Detroit and Houston on the schedule, so there's likely 1 or 2 more wins there.  And this is assuming that the Packers manage not to win another game, which I think is unlikely at best.

How many more shots does Tomlin get in Pitt? 

9 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Somewhere in there was Brockington and Lane at running backs.....John Jefferson never became the complementary receiver to Lofton that the Packers expected and needed, so his stay and influence in GB was short lived...

If JJ were playing in this era, he would likely rival AB on the crazy scale.

This team might not be as bad as their record, but they play some of the worst complimentary football I've witnessed in a long time.  One or more (offense, defense, special teams) is usually crapping the bed.  Now Gary is feared to have a torn ACL, we had 3 or 4 other players walking around in a boot yesterday after the game.  I see 3 potentially winnable games for us.  The Bears, the Vikings, and the Lions.  That's it.  The Bears are playing hard and slowly improving on offense.  Plus the game is in Chicago and they have to be licking their chops to get at us and put a thumping on us.  We only have a chance of beating the Vikings as they will be resting plenty of starters as they would have wrapped up the NFC North by then.  And of course the Lions.  So our ceiling is 6 wins.  If we keep crapping the bed like yesterday, we might even be way down at 4 wins.  Then at what point does Love play so the Packers can get a better look at what they may or may not have.  A number of folks on here think he absolutely stinks, so if that's the case, whose to say we win either the last two games against the Vikings or Lions.  Depending on these injuries yesterday, I'm pegging us as either 4-13 or 5-12.  4-13 just might get us a top 5 pick, 5-12 will be between picks 6-10.  I hope Love shows something that we can say we can build upon and Rodgers just plain retires (after June 1st).

• Like 1