2022 GDT 3-7 Steelers Visit 4-6-1 Colts on MNF

Steeler Hitman

9 minutes ago, AFF said:

Missed the 2nd half of the game… I see They won.

Did DJ drop a TD pass?

It wasn't a cupcake drop, as he had a corner in pretty tight coverage, but it did hit him in both hands with space for his feet to land pretty easily. It just doinked off his wrists. It was a catch a NFL #1 WR has to make. 

The most awkward moment of the night for me was when Troy Aikman was praising some Colts defender for making a stop on Najee in space. He was like what a tackle there, and I'm like...when was the last time Najee made anyone miss catching a ball in the flat and actually gained positive yards? When was the last time he even managed to bull people over and gain extra yards that way? The guy is living off whatever meager reputation he has left from Alabama.

McFarland has looked good when given a chance going back to last year, but the coaches seem hell bent on *not* giving him any chances. Snell is a JAG, but he ran hard and smart. Took what was there, which the first round RB can't and won't do much of the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Snell looked like he was running with fresh legs last night, it was nice to see. Still wish they would give McFarland some more carries, especially when they want to run in long down and distance. 

It was more of his vision and hitting the hole.  I really do not want to get Richardson flashbacks from Najee.

13 minutes ago, Livewire said:

Not the first time he has done that.

The guy is so frustrating because he has all the tools to be more than he is, but can never put it together, and thus, is only slightly better than JAG players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Not the first time he has done that.

The guy is so frustrating because he has all the tools to be more than he is, but can never put it together, and thus, is only slightly better than JAG players.

He just looks so afraid to take a hit. Like…dude is so quick he turns it upfield there it’s a chance he picks up 10 more yards. It’s sad to be excited that a WR got positive YAC. I think being able to blame it on Canada for comebacks and curls is fading fast. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The most awkward moment of the night for me was when Troy Aikman was praising some Colts defender for making a stop on Najee in space. He was like what a tackle there, and I'm like...when was the last time Najee made anyone miss catching a ball in the flat and actually gained positive yards? When was the last time he even managed to bull people over and gain extra yards that way? The guy is living off whatever meager reputation he has left from Alabama.

McFarland has looked good when given a chance going back to last year, but the coaches seem hell bent on *not* giving him any chances. Snell is a JAG, but he ran hard and smart. Took what was there, which the first round RB can't and won't do much of the time.

this is where 'fans' know more than announcers. They only have so much time to open on watching a team, while some  fans scrutinize every breath it seems. I found this moment  in a similar way you did. Wtf is he talking about, but he is human , has other teams to study and thankfully for him he hasn't watch najee that much this year. His injuries have ruined his 22' campaign .  Everyone else is better , and no way he lost his talent over night  or in one season. They should let him get healthy and see how the other players do.

I thought McFarlane was an excellent change of pace player.  For this OL, the quicker RB will be better off.

and still, johnson was a terrible signing, trade him and canada somewhere, even if it's to the CFL 

Not gonna lie. Wanted us to lose this game and draft in the top 5. But the offense looked better than average at times in the 1st half. Running back by committee was nice even if it wasn’t intentional. Pickett, the oline( minus Moore at times) Pickens, and the Rbs looked…gulp…kinda dangerous/competent 

• Like 1

Korza not getting friendly feedback for this

And I get what Korza is trying to say, but I'll add some extra elements to this:

~ This defensive alignment and bail is not something that's new or this line has never seen.  Heck I'm sure if we go back 2-3 weeks we can see the exact same defensive alignment that they did fine with blocking.

~ We don't know the on field communication.  After seeing Monday's game, I believe the reason McFarland was on the PS and not the active roster is because his pass protection....sucks.  Did Kenny tell him to stay in and he went anyways?  Maybe Kenny or the OL communicated to the TE's and they both released due to lack of communication.

~ Yes at the moment of the freeze frame it's easy to say throw it away or get it to McFarland.  In the process and speed of the game I can understand why Kenny held it.

In the end - I don't like picking on this play.  Teams regularly get caught with their 'pants down' in a free rusher situation regularly and the QB takes a sack.  I've found through the season Korza has continually taken the "contrary to popular opinion" take from what most felt on the game in regards to Pickett.

IMO the proper "adjustment" here would be to make one of the TE's the hot route - forget the first, you just need to stay in FG range.  Have Moore take Ngakoue on the outside, have the "free rusher" come up the gut, and the RB take the "free rusher".  By sliding protection like that, if the LB's never some your RB can help chip the wide rusher or release and become an extra pass catcher.

Now, in the end what matters is what the Steelers coach.  I doubt they coach, with a rookie QB, to allow a free rusher.  Something in that communication broke down.  Heck I'll even say the play called was not a great play call.  It's 3rd and long, you need to anticipate blitz, and call a play with 6 man protection.  From a play calling perspective, keeping the ball in FG range is paramount, and you call max routes with little option for extra protection?  Yikes.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I took that play as experience for KP.  With more experience, he will know where the hot receiver is and dump.  I just accept that as some possible miscommunication.

Very much agree on the experience part.  My main thought is this isn't as easy as OL gets a pass and KP shoulders blame.