If Patrick Mahomes retired today, would he be a Hall of Famer?

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Mahomes took the starting job and essentially established himself as the best QB in the league. Went to two SBs, won one,  won an MVP, and is probably going to win another one. Has accumulated more bulk stats than anyone ever has this deep into their career. 

Career stats/longevity aside, he’s got a higher peak and better accolades than most of the QBs that’ll make the HOF in the next 10 years. 

Agreed. 

Also

He changed the game.

Yes.... but due to short length he probably wait a long time and eventually get in the way Terrell Davis did. He'd have an insane 4 plus year peak, a ring (TD had 2) an MVP, and been one of the most dominant ever. But he would also have the short career held against him heavily. Eventually he'd get in, but they aren't going to just let him in. If he regressed to above average and played 8-10 more years he'd probably be first ballot or close.

• Like 1

If he just straight up retires mid season? Hahahaha no. Media would be like "quitter!!!!!!" and would be cursed from entering the HOF. If he wins the 2nd MVP and then gets another Super Bowl ring, and decides to retire right after the Super Bowl due to CTE concerns, then yeah he has a slight chance then, but if and only if he gets both the extra ring and mvp. If he somehow goes down say to a tragic event and he dies then yeah I would say he would very likely get in at some point even without the extra ring/mvp (death kind of helps that sort of thing). A career ending injury would also probably get him in at some point, although that would take longer than the first situation imo. Lastly, if he gets imprisoned or something then certainly not. 

Only death would probably get him in somewhat early I'm guessing. Only reason I personally feel he gets in at least at some point, is the fact that a few decades from now at the latest, people will start to be like "you know if Mahomes was in today's league he would do 7000+ yards and 70+ TDs today!" Plus one ring and one mvp is more than what some hall of famers have, though most of those guys had record breaking bulk stats and/or a similar peak to Mahomes. 

Edited by NeptunePenguins

I think the better question is “If Patrick Mahomes retires today, is he first ballot HoF?

(Edit: Before people argue the better question, the answer is NO - he’s not first ballot right now).

His resume says he gets in - the question is WHEN he gets in. The only way he wouldn’t get in is if he went Nathan Peterman/Ryan Leaf over the next 3-6 seasons. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think the better question is “If Patrick Mahomes retires today, is he first ballot HoF?

(Edit: Before people argue the “better” question, the answer is NO - he’s not first ballot right now).

His resume says he gets in - the question is WHEN he gets in. The only way he wouldn’t get in is if he went Nathan Peterman/Ryan Leaf over the next 3-6 seasons. 

If Davis Mills retires today, where does he rank among Texans QBs all-time?

Mahomes already has the hallmarks of upper echelon HoFers. MVP, Ring, Super Bowl MVP. There are top 10 QBs of all-time who don't have all 3 of those. He's been the best QB in the league for the entirety of his starting tenure, and definitively changed the game. If you think he's not a 1st ballot HoFer at this point, you're kidding yourself.

I can't believe there's people even questioning this. He's undoubtedly one of the greatest QBs ever and as compared to everyone else throughout their first 5 years he's like first in every single passing category. He's won an MVP and a Super Bowl and made it to another. He could retire right now and he'd be a first ballot Hall of Famer. 

On 11/29/2022 at 6:23 PM, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Honest question, has there ever been a QB who won MVP, Super Bowl MVP, and a Super Bowl that didn’t make the the Hall? 

With all of that, his numbers, and his additional Super Bowl appearance and multiple AFC championship game appearances. I don’t see a way you keep him out.

Did Theismann or Morrall win SB MVP? They're the two popping into my head.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Did Theismann or Morral win SB MVP? They're the two popping into my head.  

I know Theismann just won the regular season MVP that year they went to the Super Bowl

Edited by Malik