HoF Semifinalists Announced

bucsfan333

2 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

The HOF should only be about performance, not whether or not that player is from a team which is liked or not. Ward wasn't a nice player, but a valuable cog in a two time SB champ, and one of the NFL's top organizations during the 2000s. It's going to happen, and whether it's next year, or 2027, the case is a strong one.

His case is stronger than some, weaker than others, and just as strong as a few. He may get in, may not. That's for the voters to decide, though I don't love his chances overall...if it happens, it's going to happen much further down the line, because it's going to get worse when Fitz, Megatron and other are up.  I wouldn't put him in. He was a nice player. Very good, not hall of fame. 

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:

How did Hines Ward change the NFL with his blocking?

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Gave me a laugh too.

If you followed the NFL during the 2000s, yes, Hines Ward changed or impacted the league with his blocking excellence. This has been so well chronicled, I'm floored anyone could deny this reality. During this decade, blocking by the WR position became more noticed, and Ward was the top guy singled out in this area. If you don't mind me asking, were you two teenagers during any point in the 2000s? I watched thousands of hours of football from the sidelines and TV during that era, along with speaking to NFL scouts. Do you also think NFL Films is in the business of fabricating stories?

9 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

If you followed the NFL during the 2000s, yes, Hines Ward changed or impacted the league with his blocking excellence. This has been so well chronicled, I'm floored anyone could deny this reality. During this decade, blocking by the WR position became more noticed, and Ward was the top guy singled out in this area. If you don't mind me asking, were you two teenagers during any point in the 2000s? I watched thousands of hours of football from the sidelines and TV during that era, along with speaking to NFL scouts. Do you also think NFL Films is in the business of fabricating stories?

Every time you say it, people ask that same question. Nobody denies he was a great blocker, the idea or notion that he changed the game in some manner with it  reeks of hyperbole, which is why everyone is so incredulous every time you say it. 

18 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Crackback blocks on unsuspecting players were what he was known for as much as "blocking excellence." He would crush people who had no idea where he was. That was why his peers chose him as the dirtiest player at one point, being picked over Fat Haynesworth, Finegan, and Porter (another time he was singled out as a top guy in an area). He was well known for getting fined for blocks that were missed, but I'm sure with your thousands of hours of knowledge you would remember that.

Was he a great player? of course. A great blocker? Duh. Did he make half that reputation with blind-side blocks? Obviously. Unless you're talking about the NFL changing the rules due to the blatant cheap shots though (my view personally), he didn't change the game one damn bit.

47 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

The HOF should only be about performance, not whether or not that player is from a team which is liked or not. Ward wasn't a nice player, but a valuable cog in a two time SB champ, and one of the NFL's top organizations during the 2000s. It's going to happen, and whether it's next year, or 2027, the case is a strong one.

What's the case? How many receivers are there playing right now that are better than Ward in his prime? 

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Crackback blocks on unsuspecting players were what he was known for as much as "blocking excellence." He would crush people who had no idea where he was. That was why his peers chose him as the dirtiest player at one point, being picked over Fat Haynesworth, Finegan, and Porter (another time he was singled out as a top guy in an area). He was well known for getting fined for blocks that were missed, but I'm sure with your thousands of hours of knowledge you would remember that.

Was he a great player? of course. A great blocker? Duh. Did he make half that reputation with blind-side blocks? Obviously. Unless you're talking about the NFL changing the rules due to the blatant cheap shots though (my view personally), he didn't change the game one damn bit.

Ergo, the Hines Ward rule changed the NFL. And the emphasis on blocking by the WR position increased during the decade of the 2000s with Ward credited as the top guy. If that's not impacting the game, I can't help you.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What's the case? How many receivers are there playing right now that are better than Ward in his prime? 

How many receivers right now are a key cog of a two time SB champion? How many receivers right now are the career receiving leader of a storied franchise? How many receivers right now are strong postseason players and a SB MVP? How many receivers right now impacted the game to the point the NFL had to institute a rules change?

4 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Ergo, the Hines Ward rule changed the NFL. And the emphasis on blocking by the WR position increased during the decade of the 2000s with Ward credited as the top guy. If that's not impacting the game, I can't help you.

But because of something that reflects poorly on Ward....I'm thinking that isn't a feather in Ward's cap...

Just now, LaserFocus said:

How many receivers right now are a key cog of a two time SB champion? How many receivers right now are the career receiving leader of a storied franchise? How many receivers right now are strong postseason players and a SB MVP? How many receivers right now impacted the game to the point the NFL had to institute a rules change?

1. Being on a title team shouldn't be a huge part of a player's legacy. On field performance should be what's determined. 

2. Being the leading receiver of a "storied" franchise shouldn't mean much. Is his career less impressive if he's on a different team? He's 25th in total yardage and will probably only hold the distinction of leading the Steelers in yards for three more seasons anyway. The next retired career Steeler on the list is John Stallworth who is currently 71st in yardage. A team not having any good receivers in the current era shouldn't be a reason to put someone in the HOF.

3. Hines Ward isn't that great of a post season player. His per game averages are: 5 catches for 66 yards and .56 TDs. For a season that's 80/1056/9. That's a good season, but that's not an elite player by any means. He's basically Davante Adams in the playoffs.

4. Superbowl MVP is legit.

5. Being a dirty player and taking advantage of a horrible rule isn't a reason for HOF induction. You act like earholing players is some heroic action. It's freaking horrible and dirty and unsafe. This shouldn't be an addition to his legacy, in fact I'd argue the opposite. Should we be giving Bernard Pollard HOF consideration for the league instituting a rule for him?

45 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

PREVIOUSLY

Ward changed the NFL with his blocking excellence, no one ever suggested he invented WR blocking, but it's a reality

NOW

Ah, blindsiding people is his claim to fame and something that should aid him to the Hall of Fame, by your account.

While you're stroking it to your own nonsense, I'll let Brandon Meriweather and James Harrison know that their headshots (or as you would say, tackling excellence)  help change the rulebook, so they have something to help their case for entrance to the Hall. Maybe we should start crediting and nominating those who caused the rules to be enforced against facemasking, high/low blocks, being suspended for PEDs, and such, as they clearly "changed the NFL."

With your thousands of hours of focus, how have you missed the fact that WR blocking has ALWAYS been emphasized? You know, when the NFL was run-first for so many years? Him blasting players who were unaware was what he was initially noticed for, not because he was the Larry Allen of WRs. Keep going though, I'm sure you can continue talking yourself into anything. You seem to find yourself very convincing.

My view on Hines Ward is that he was a terrific WR, but he's not a Hall-of-Fame talent.  I just took a look at this stats and it appears he has accumulated enough to be considered.  I watched Ward his entire career and I never thought of him as a Hall-of-Famer.  I always thought he was a really good receiver and great overall team player.

Archived