Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

First?  It is principle, not principal. 

Second?  Read the Brandt article, he lays it all out there.

He talks about cash and how the Packers have plenty.

He talks about how GB would love to have him retire a Packer.

He talks about leverage and how GB has it, while the Jets have very little.

Please forgive my mistake.

Personally if it comes down to it I would honour his request to be traded to continue playing rather than force him to retire. Some of you guys are so bitter over the last couple years.

Also, the whole leverage argument is a joke. You can make convincing arguments both ways as to who has the leverage but it comes down to both teams want the trade to happen, so both teams will have to budge.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

So just to confirm, you guys would take nothing over two 3rds?

At that rate I swallow my pride as LaFleur and Gute and call Lynch/Shanny.

Guarantee you'll get a future 1st and some mid round picks and Rodgers would jump at the opportunity to play at home.

Then call Joe Douglas and tell him to go f^&* himself. 

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What NFL General Manager is talking to reporters, now, about Aaron Rodgers and his trade value?

We are in the throws of free agency, cap management, oh and a little thing called the draft.

It's made up.  GM's have other things to do.  And if they are talking to reporters?  It's off the cuff and not thought out.  

They have a lot more to worry about right now than a trade between GB and the Jets.

I don't think it's GM's they are polling .. scouts, pro personnel types .. people along those lines.  It could be made up .. who knows?

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Guarantee you'll get a future 1st and some mid round picks and Rodgers would jump at the opportunity to play at home.

That's where I'm at .. I'm wanting the Jets to get nothing and not like it very much.  Pompous bunch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:
34 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

So just to confirm, you guys would take nothing over two 3rds?

I don't have an issue sending him to SF. The picks will suck because that is a good program but if he only plays 1-2 years who cares, we aren't winning a SB in the next 2 years.

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Personally if it comes down to it I would honour his request to be traded to continue playing rather than force him to retire. Some of you guys are so bitter over the last couple years.

Also, the whole leverage argument is a joke. You can make convincing arguments both ways as to who has the leverage but it comes down to both teams want the trade to happen, so both teams will have to budge.

Packers will honor it as soon as the Jets quit lowballing.  If they continue that then Aaron can rot along with the Jets.

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

No problem, you are forgiven.

If you are labeling me as "you guys" as in being bitter?  Nope.  Not at all.

The leverage argument is no joke.  It is very real.  Again, read the Brandt article, he teaches about leverage, for a living.  He knows more than the rest of us.  He outlines it pretty clearly.

From Brandt, so you don't have to find the article... "Here is my definition of where it rests: Leverage lies with the negotiating party that is most satisfied with the status quo."

"The Jets desperately need a quarterback. New York has waited out this trade as all the other options—Jimmy Garoppolo, Derek Carr, Baker Mayfield—signed elsewhere. The Packers have had their quarterback in the building for three years.  

The Jets flew their owner, head coach, general manager and assistant coach out to California to beg Rodgers to be their next quarterback.

The Jets just signed Rodgers’s preferred receiver, Allen Lazard, who at his press conference said that he looked forward to playing with Rodgers (despite the quarterback being, at the moment, a Packer). The Jets have stoked the fires of their fan base with Rodgers’s pending trade.

The Packers have no cap or cash issues with Rodgers’s contract. There is no money due to him until September. Indeed, it will cost them more in cap space ($40 million) with him off of the roster than on it ($31 million).

Based on the above, it certainly appears the Packers have the leverage in this negotiation."

"

I have not heard any realistic arguments about the Jets’ leverage. I’ve heard theories that Rodgers could show up to the Packers’ offseason workouts or even training camp. (Please.) Or that Rodgers could retire and Green Bay would get nothing. (The Packers would love for him to retire having played for only them, while also relieving them of $60 million he’d be due.) Or that he would sit on the roster all season so that the Packers would have to pay him. (Again, please.)

The problem with Rodgers’s contract, especially for the Jets, is that there is no decision point early in the offseason, no big roster bonus or anything like that. Thus the Packers can wait. I am not talking about waiting for months—this will be resolved long before it gets to the point of Rodgers’s showing up at Packers camp. If it were to get to that point, there is not enough blood pressure medication out there to sustain Jets fans."

• Like 2

Interesting 'faux' negotiations here.  I would take this deal in a second. 

The final result of our back-and-forth:

Aaron Rodgers to the Jets in exchange for a 2023 second-round pick (No. 43), wide receiver Elijah Moore and a conditional 2024 pick (starts as a third-round pick but would turn into a first-round pick if Rodgers is on the roster on the fifth day of the 2024 league year). Also, the Packers pay no part of his nearly $60 million roster bonus.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/21/mock-trade-negotiation-for-aaron-rodgers-with-jets-wire/?taid=6419f0aee27f250001936b62&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Interesting 'faux' negotiations here.  I would take this deal in a second. 

The final result of our back-and-forth:

Aaron Rodgers to the Jets in exchange for a 2023 second-round pick (No. 43), wide receiver Elijah Moore and a conditional 2024 pick (starts as a third-round pick but would turn into a first-round pick if Rodgers is on the roster on the fifth day of the 2024 league year). Also, the Packers pay no part of his nearly $60 million roster bonus.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/21/mock-trade-negotiation-for-aaron-rodgers-with-jets-wire/?taid=6419f0aee27f250001936b62&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

I'd take that in a heartbeat. The only condition is that he's on the roster and then it's a 1st? sign me up. I think they'll fight for team/individual performance ties to the conditional choice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd take that in a heartbeat. The only condition is that he's on the roster and then it's a 1st? sign me up. I think they'll fight for team/individual performance ties to the conditional choice. 

I'm hoping the Packers aren't dumb enough to do that again like they did with the Favre deal.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This I could get on board with. We'd probably have to take Trey Lance back as part of the deal and eat some of his dead money. 

I don't really want Trey Lance, but he'd be worth a flyer as a backup for a year then trade him. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm hoping the Packers aren't dumb enough to do that again like they did with the Favre deal.  

Depends, if the Jets offer good 2023 compensation, you aren't getting a conditional pick that's not heavily tied to performance in 2024. If they don't pay out in 2023 then I'm obviously not going to accept a heavily conditioned pick in 2024, it's going to have to be pretty easy for it to become a 1st. 

• Like 1