Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

I thought it interesting listening to Aaron talk about the previous front office execs that have been through GB in his time and sort of alluded to things being different now.   I was listening and wondering about the choices Wolf and TT and Schneider and the rest have had to make affecting countless veterans across all their organizations- trades, contracts, cuts.   All the coaches involved in those decisions as well.   The only variable now with Gute and Ball and Murphy is he's directly being affected

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The wildcard is OBJ.  If he all of a sudden signs with the Jets, then I'll believe that Wilson is in play.

Part of me wants this....

Lazard and Cobb go there with Lewis.

Somehow the Jets trade Wilson to the Raiders for 'Vante.

Rodgers gets his gang together with a defensive minded HC and goes on a rampage.

GB gets some draft picks, drafts offense early and often for Love.  Love goes on a rampage.

GB fans win because we have a good team and we can talk about how Barry ruined our chances.

...only slightly kidding on that rant.  But also...yeah....

Packers Jets super bowl gonna be nutty 👀

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I would say so is not including any frp in a deal for a HOF QB who can still do things that few can. If I’m the Pack, any silly offers get countered with silly offers until we are talking reality. 

Making a point by countering silly offers with silly offers is one thing.   People expecting or even hoping for those offers to be accepted is another.   

Sincerely hope I'm made to eat my words here - just think Wilson is a non-starter for a QB on his last year (or two)

You have vet any player coming back to Green Bay (if there are any) in a Jets trade.  Do they want to come to Green Bay?  What's it going to take for a particular player to come to Green Bay?  Trading for them isn't just picking a player and they come.  

You don't want a trouble child coming into your lockerroom.  You don't want a guy like Martellus Bennett coming in, being unhappy and working on getting his way out.

The Packers will vet any players before they are included in a trade.  

Ellijah Moore wanted out this past fall, does he still want out??   He's under contract and if traded he must go, but you gotta talk to him before the trade to see where he's at in this, is he comfortable playing in Green Bay or are you bringing a nightmare into your lockeroom?

Edited by NFLGURU

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

I thought it interesting listening to Aaron talk about the previous front office execs that have been through GB in his time and sort of alluded to things being different now.   I was listening and wondering about the choices Wolf and TT and Schneider and the rest have had to make affecting countless veterans across all their organizations- trades, contracts, cuts.   All the coaches involved in those decisions as well.   The only variable now with Gute and Ball and Murphy is he's directly being affected

Maybe just maybe GB is an awesome organization… and they all hear horror stories from everyone in the league.

And when they age out and get moved by the packers it’s a terrible experience that leaves hard feelings because they never wanted to leave.

Cobb talked about this… GB is unique. I think most players that come here see that and get upset when it’s taken from them.

It sucks and not surprising…

Additionally, for as much as we all hate the contract Rodgers signed last offseason—it’s structured so that we don’t care what time we get rid of it—as long as it’s prior to week 1. The savings are the emergency fund for the year. We can essentially spend up to the cap now and know we will have space for the season once the trades completed.

6 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Thought he sounded like a weak teet on that front. Boo hoo we don’t roll out a red carpet for players whom are still active in the NFL. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Additionally, for as much as we all hate the contract Rodgers signed last offseason—it’s structured so that we don’t care what time we get rid of it—as long as it’s prior to week 1. The savings are the emergency fund for the year. We can essentially spend up to the cap now and know we will have space for the season once the trades completed.

I don't follow.

I thought once traded, we take an extra $9M hit to our cap?  So we likely need that $9M buffer for when he does get traded.

Once you factor in that, along with rookies and injury players, we have like $4-$5M under the cap to work with in FA.

Unless we have more moves to make to get under.

Am I wrong?  Because I'm wrong often. 

Edited by vegas492

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I really think the Packers should have had this compensation hammered out well in advance, but maybe they had some 4D chess going on and new that the Jets and Rodgers would fall in love with one another and get into too deep to get out.

Why would either side go beyond the basics until they knew Rodgers was good with the idea of being traded?

I'm sure GB did already know what their asking price would be, and likely shared that with the Jets prior to the visit with Rodgers.