Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

41 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's fun to speculate, but what's everyone's confidence level with Aaron Rodgers actually getting traded?  I'm guessing 10% traded, 90 % he's back with the Packers.  

I'm with you.  I have a strong feeling he'll be back too if he desires to continue playing.  I'll be more surprised if he retires tbh.

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

I think the concern about moving on from a RB earlier than later is well-taken.   However, I think Aaron Jones is unique as he hasn't been a heavy usage back and will still be 28 until Dec 2023.    Over his 6 seasons and 86 gms he's only carried the ball 1035 times (+receptions).   During the last 4 years as the primary back he's only had 5 gms with 20+ carries.  He had 6 gms alone this year with fewer than double digit carries.   

22-23  22nd most carries in NFL  (AJ Dillon #39)

21-22  #33  (AJ Dillon #39)

20-21  #12

19-20  #17

Caveat being carries aren't the only concern - you still need to account for unofficial carries, hits after receptions and wear-and-tear for a small back in pass protection.   He's just not heavily utilized as a runner (like a Henry or Chubb) and I think his value is that he's so effective as a receiver that he can still be a big part of any offense even if his insane YPC starts to decline and he continues to cede carries to a 2nd back.    

I agree, the work load on Aaron Jones is not high.  And does anyone not like him? The issue I have is 20 million cap hit on a RB.  I don't like that for any RB.  We can kick the can down the road, or extend him even, but then he is creeping closer to the 30 year and increasing his touches. 

To me, if we are moving on from Rodgers, I want to dump all expensive cap numbers that we can in that year for a big reload in 24 and 25.  At that point, we will have probably two seasons with decent draft picks, and more cap room.  But that means saying good bye to Bakhtiari, Preston Smith, and Aaron Jones with Aaron Rodgers.

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He ain't retiring.  Not a chance in hell he wants to play second fiddle to Brady at the HoF induction.

People keep saying that. But is the HOF induction ceremony that big of a deal? Does he think his HOF speech will add or subtract from his legacy as a player?   

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree, the work load on Aaron Jones is not high.  And does anyone not like him? The issue I have is 20 million cap hit on a RB.  I don't like that for any RB.  We can kick the can down the road, or extend him even, but then he is creeping closer to the 30 year and increasing his touches. 

To me, if we are moving on from Rodgers, I want to dump all expensive cap numbers that we can in that year for a big reload in 24 and 25.  At that point, we will have probably two seasons with decent draft picks, and more cap room.  But that means saying good bye to Bakhtiari, Preston Smith, and Aaron Jones with Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah I see that point - ripping the bandaid off and saving $11 mil cap space on a RB this yr has to be a big consideration.    Kicking the can more than 2 yrs down the rd is ..... unpalatable.... and the current cap hit is more than exhorbitant.   Not sure Jones won't have more in his tank at age 29-31 than a typical back with a higher workload but that goes back to the earlier concern about leaving earlier vs later on a RB.   Tough call

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's fun to speculate, but what's everyone's confidence level with Aaron Rodgers actually getting traded?  I'm guessing 10% traded, 90 % he's back with the Packers.  

Agree, I'm more curious as to if he'll restructure his deal and commit for a couple of years, or is it one year and it's Love's time.  

Edited by NFLGURU

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

And I kinda want us to draft Bijan… having a top 5 back for 5-8 years will really help Love succeed.

6 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm about 75% traded, 25% here. 

I think they did tell him that they want him back, but they also told him, Cobb is gone, Lazard is probably pricing himself out of our range, Tonyan is gone, and we can bring back Big Dog and obviously Bakh is back.

I don't think that's good enough for Aaron. However, I also think he will consider what another season in the home and locker room he's known his whole career with year 2 Doubs and Watson will be like. That's why I'm only 75%.

If he leaves, I think you can safely assume if SB is #1 on his mind, he's going to go to the Jets. If playing ball with his buds and putting up stats is how he wants to end his career, LV is the choice. Tennessee is the only dark horse. All other options are pretty close to 0% and aren't worth discussing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

...and I want Jordan to have players around him that will help him succeed.  Jones is also one of them.

I admire many things about Jones.  But this year, he showed no evidence of slowing down, at all.  He was as quick and fast as ever.

Which is why I said...for an older RB he's the one that I could see getting a good third contract.  From us, or someone else.  Kid still has wheels on him

This is why I want Jonesey back. Based on his limited usage and finesse style, he could be an effective part of an offense into his 30s.  But right now I want Love to have as many playmakerz as possible. Surround him with talent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm about 75% traded, 25% here. 

I think they did tell him that they want him back, but they also told him, Cobb is gone, Lazard is probably pricing himself out of our range, Tonyan is gone, and we can bring back Big Dog and obviously Bakh is back.

I don't think that's good enough for Aaron. However, I also think he will consider what another season in the home and locker room he's known his whole career with year 2 Doubs and Watson will be like. That's why I'm only 75%.

If he leaves, I think you can safely assume if SB is #1 on his mind, he's going to go to the Jets. If playing ball with his buds and putting up stats is how he wants to end his career, LV is the choice. Tennessee is the only dark horse. All other options are pretty close to 0% and aren't worth discussing.

This.  I'd actually put it closer to 85% chance he's traded.