Bye Week Hypothetical

mikebpackfan

Just because it’s the bye week and I’m tired of bickering about what constitutes a throwaway (because that would somehow drastically change my opinion of #12)

What would we think of this team if these two things were true:

A) we had pulled out both the Washington and Detroit games. For the sake of argument, say we played exactly the same—but a phantom penalty had nullified a TD for the opponent.

B) Gary’s injury wasn’t as significant, and he could return after the bye. 

I’d be pretty excited:  the season would have unfolded almost exactly as I envisioned.  Struggles on offense early because of the youngsters, but things coming together now and we still have enough on defense where they have the ability to at least occasionally come up with key stops.  Our playoffs chances would look good and even if I don’t think we’d be a “Super Bowl team”, I’d think we could at least do some real damage in the playoffs. 

If if's and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas! 

What if we didn't pull out the Tampa or NE games? Would everybody be on board with getting rid of Rodgers?    

We sucked with very few injuries to our roster compared to the balance of the NFL. 

Blow this thing up and start over with Love at QB. 

Edited by Old Guy

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What if we didn't pull out the Tampa or NE games? Would everybody be on board with getting rid of Rodgers?    

We sucks with very few injuries to our roster compared to the balance of the NFL. 

Great Introspection.   

A lot of us were hoping for a 2010 like ride from this team, accepting that the offense might be a little rocky to start, but hoping by December it caught it's form. 

Honestly I can say we got that from the offense, 27 PPG the last 4 weeks, 7th in the NFL over that span. Difference between that team and this is our defense sucked, and didn't carry us at all.

Your "hope" for the next year if Rodgers comes back is entirely on the defense. Think the O has shown it could be significantly better next year if Rodgers, Watson and Doubs stay healthy. Can the defense drastically improve with next coaches??

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

A lot of us were hoping for a 2010 like ride from this team, accepting that the offense might be a little rocky to start, but hoping by December it caught it's form. 

Honestly I can say we got that from the offense, 27 PPG the last 4 weeks, 7th in the NFL over that span. Difference between that team and this is our defense sucked, and didn't carry us at all.

Your "hope" for the next year if Rodgers comes back is entirely on the defense. Think the O has shown it could be significantly better next year if Rodgers, Watson and Doubs stay healthy. Can the defense drastically improve with next coaches??

Yep.  Outside of the Rodgers/Love debate, the big question for this team is whether the defense can get its act together.  Offense is showing signs that they are figuring some things out on that side.

18 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Any excitement I might have would be severely reduced by the fact that the Packers needed an 18-0 4th quarter run to beat a bad and depleted Bears team last week. 

Yeah, and needed OT to beat a Bailey Zappe Patriots team. And barely beat a Bucs team with no recievers. 

I understand the point of the exercise, but whenever I play the "what if" game I actually end up with more losses, not fewer

41 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I understand the point of the exercise, but whenever I play the "what if" game I actually end up with more losses, not fewer

This only proves you’re a half-glass empty Packer fan. 

I guess it’s probably true of most of us on who post about the Packers on the internets.  People are referencing bad games from earlier in the season or the bad parts of the Bear game, but in the last 4 we’ve both beat the 3 seed in NFC and lost an away game by a TD to the 1 seed.  Both those teams have been trouncing people outside our games. 

Edited by mikebpackfan

Gosh, what a bunch of Debbie Downers...

I would be pretty excited about this playoff run.  Christian Watson is starting to come on, Doubs will be back after the bye, and AJ Dillon is playing better of late.  The OL has also been steadily improving.  I would be concerned with the defense, it isn't as good as 2010's.  With the remaining schedule, I would predict winning at least 3 of the remaining 4 games, and make a good wildcard push.  

The defensive coordinator has given me no hope that he could stop a real NFL offense.  I'd rather miss the playoffs than see him try to gameplan a defense for a playoff game.

And offensively, I'd be excited if Rodgers didn't have a broken thumb.  He's been, uh, not so great in the playoffs enough already with a health throwing hand.  

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

We sucked with very few injuries to our roster compared to the balance of the NFL. 

One year where nothing went right and you want to blow it up ... LOL.  A couple coaching changes, everybody getting healthy plus a decent draft and this team isn't that far off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Any excitement I might have would be severely reduced by the fact that the Packers needed an 18-0 4th quarter run to beat a bad and depleted Bears team last week. 

The Cowboys needed a 33-0 4th quarter run to end the Colts. I wouldn't be worried by that single game vs. a bad team. 

...it's the performance in the other games and the 300+ yards rushing given up to the Eagles that would be 🚩

17 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

This only proves you’re a half-glass empty Packer fan. 

I guess it’s probably true of most of us on who post about the Packers on the internets.  People are referencing bad games from earlier in the season or the bad parts of the Bear game, but in the last 4 we’ve both beat the 3 seed in NFC and lost an away game by a TD to the 1 seed.  Both those teams have been trouncing people outside our games. 

I'll fully cop to be being half empty this season. Going into the season I thought this was the best roster in the league on paper, save for the TE/WR room. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm still rooting for an improbable playoff push. But whenever I look at this season I'm still puzzled how it all went awry.