Week 15: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

That was such a fun game.. There is no sweeter regular season victory than @ Seattle, and the defense especially made exciting plays all night long. Charv Ward is CLAMPS, Bosa is a bear but on steroids, and Dre may have deserved even more money than he got in the extension

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Jennings for sure looks like he might develop into something if given more chances. 

I hope they can lock him up long term, he is just money on 3rd down and a massive contributor for the small amount of targets he gets. The broadcast highlighted him getting beat on a block by Nwosu, but that isn't the norm for him as a blocker

9 minutes ago, adamq said:

I hope they can lock him up long term, he is just money on 3rd down and a massive contributor for the small amount of targets he gets. The broadcast highlighted him getting beat on a block by Nwosu, but that isn't the norm for him as a blocker

The biggest problem with locking him up long term is that he probably knows he won't have any bigger of a role than he has right now. That's really tough for a player who may want to prove themselves. Deebo, aiyuk, CMC, kittle.... They aren't going anywhere for at least a couple of years. Even if you lose one, he's still looking at being just the 4th option

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think that they can trade him. Just had this conversation with @adamq too. Agree with you there. I think if a team like Indy came calling with the #11 pick, they'd listen, but I think it has to be a pretty big overpay to get SF to move him. Otherwise you have a very cheap QB room locked up. No reason to make a permanent decision already just because

Atlanta was the team I had in mind.. I think Ridder will show he isn't a guy to believe in, and there were rumors of them wanting Lance in the draft. But yeah, I would want their FRP this year plus some, personally. Otherwise just keep him as you said 

23 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

CMC now leads the team in touches (156) and yards from scrimmage (880), but played half the games of our other starters. This is pretty insane usage. 

Jordan Mason deserves 1st half carries.

If it were me, I'd rest CMC of the second half of each of our next rwo games and sit him for the finale of the regular season. He's too valuable of a peice to lose right now with Deebo on the mend. It would change the entire complexity of the offense if he were to miss anytime in the playoffs. I'm good with the 3rd seed. We were not going to get the bye and Philly will probably win their remaining slate. Have to look at the bigger picture.

Same with Mooney Ward, Bosa, Armsread, and Warner. I'd actually fo as far as to say they should all sit until the post-season. We lose another CB and this defense is in real trouble. And AA is the only real difference maker along the interior. We're just so much better as unit, rushing the passer when AA is healthy. Same with Mooney. His ability in press-man is invaluable to how Ryans can switch and maneuver coverages. Let guys like Womack & Thomas gain some experience these remaining three games.

Warner hasn't been prone to injuries but again, fluke **** happens all the time and I'd hate to lose him in some meaningless game. He's irreplaceable for this defense. Al Shaair could be a serviceable replacement but wouldn't come close to replicating what Fred provides. 

All those starters nursing injuries or with a history of injury should be managed the rest of the way. Very carefully, I would add.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I can't imagine this team without him, honestly. His toughness, his attitude, his sure handedness on 3rd downs, he's just a perfect compliment to the rest of the skill guys. 

I thought that he was going to be a perfect 49er throughout that draft process. You know how you lead the NFL in YAC every year? Get every guy that leads the NCAA in YAC/catch on your team, lol. Had Jennings in the 5th round in just about every mock and couldn't be happier with how he's performed.  

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If it were me, I'd rest CMC of the second half of each of our next rwo games and sit him for the finale of the regular season. He's too valuable of a peice to lose right now with Deebo on the mend. It would change the entire complexity of the offense if he were to miss anytime in the playoffs. I'm good with the 3rd seed. We were not going to get the bye and Philly will probably win their remaining slate. Have to look at the bigger picture.

Same with Mooney Ward, Bosa, Armsread, and Warner. I'd actually fo as far as to say they should all sit until the post-season. We lose another CB and this defense is in real trouble. And AA is the only real difference maker along the interior. We're just so much better as unit, rushing the passer when AA is healthy. Same with Mooney. His ability in press-man is invaluable to how Ryans can switch and maneuver coverages. Let guys like Womack & Thomas gain some experience these remaining three games.

Warner hasn't been prone to injuries but again, fluke **** happens all the time and I'd hate to lose him in some meaningless game. He's irreplaceable for this defense. Al Shaair could be a serviceable replacement but wouldn't come close to replicating what Fred provides. 

All those starters nursing injuries or with a history of injury should be managed the rest of the way. Very carefully, I would add.

I don't think we rest anyone next week. They have 8 days between last night and the Commanders game. They're playing everyone and we get Kinlaw back. 

Then we have a winnable game in Vegas and a winnable game to close out the season. The 2 seed is very much in play right now. If you win the next two games and the Vikings lose one of the next three games, we get the 2 seed and can rest everyone for the Cardinals game. 

It's too early to rest anyone. But, giving Mason more carries in the first half and utilizing Kittle more will help to soften the load for CMC, which would be nice to see. 

Last week, CMC was an apex predator. Last night, I thought he made some bad decisions on a few of his runs and missed out on more yardage. Not sure if that was just an off night or he was tired, but regardless, Mason deserves more carries. 

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Absolutely not should they sit out until the postseason lol. I get you want to keep them happy but we can still get the #2 seed and this is a rhythm based offense that needs to stay in rhythm. Every time we have games where the practice schedule is jacked up, the performance is pretty bad. 

And as mentioned already, players have incentives in their contracts for certain accolades and playing time so that's a big no no right there.

We just need to be smart in how we manage certain players' playing time. 

6 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I thought that he was going to be a perfect 49er throughout that draft process. You know how you lead the NFL in YAC every year? Get every guy that leads the NCAA in YAC/catch on your team, lol. Had Jennings in the 5th round in just about every mock and couldn't be happier with how he's performed.  

Jennings embodies the 49ers' mentality to a tee. Another 7th round steal by the 49ers. 

This is off topic, but the way they hit on mid to late round picks, as well as UDFAs, made me feel a lot better about the Lance and CMC trades. Yes, we gave away premium picks, but we have a bunch of mid to late round picks and there is a high percentage that another quality contributor or two come from that, and an OK chance that a star comes from it, too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Jennings embodies the 49ers' mentality to a tee. Another 7th round steal by the 49ers. 

This is off topic, but the way they hit on mid to late round picks, as well as UDFAs, made me feel a lot better about the Lance and CMC trades. Yes, we gave away premium picks, but we have a bunch of mid to late round picks and there is a high percentage that another quality contributor or two come from that, and an OK chance that a star comes from it, too. 

And the way that we kind of screw up higher round picks at a larger rate (possibly due to the coaching staff getting more influence on those picks) means that they've had less value for us than other teams over the course of the Shanahan tenure. We've made up for that ineffeciency with our later picks somehow, in spite of some really high picks cratering - I think we are still meeting the average expected value given our draft position. But it's taken an avalanche of Kittles and Warners and Greenlaws.

He's probably not going to make the Pro Bowl, but like how does Ward NOT make it?? Dude has been so good all season and has been following #1 WRs as of late and doing a very well job. You put him up against someone physical and he will more than hold his own. Guys like Hopkins, if he plays off coverage will be a little difficult for him. He needs to be in press man when he is in single coverage. 

11 minutes ago, JIllg said:

And the way that we kind of screw up higher round picks at a larger rate (possibly due to the coaching staff getting more influence on those picks) means that they've had less value for us than other teams over the course of the Shanahan tenure. We've made up for that ineffeciency with our later picks somehow, in spite of some really high picks cratering - I think we are still meeting the average expected value given our draft position. But it's taken an avalanche of Kittles and Warners and Greenlaws.

But it's no longer an outlier - it's the norm now. The value we get out of mid to late round picks year after year is why we're a top dog in the NFC. 

We don't know who has more influence in what rounds and picks, but whatever is going on in the war room, it's working. Yes, it would be nice to consistantly hit on 1st and 2nd round picks and to stop drafting RBs in the 3rd, but if you look at the complete body of work, we're doing really well in the draft process.

And, we seem to find gems in the UDFA ranks, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@ForgeWe did finally hit on the leak but that was a little different. Purdy rolled out a bit to the right side and his throw was easier than the ones we have missed on in the past. Not excusing those misses or saying Brock would miss those throws that our multiple QBs have over the past few years, but his throw that he hit on Kroft was easier than most of those, if not ALL of those.

You will not take this from me!!!!!!! 

Live look at me holding on to this leak completion...

Best Ill Never Let You Go GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 2

As the game started last night, I noted that the refs seemed to be balanced...then the 2nd half happened. That was not balance. That smacked of an under the table offer from Petey. I thought it was hilarious when he threw that challenge flag. We all knew Purdy had done the smartest thing a QB could do to get that 1st down AND stay in bounds. I have so much confidence in this kid and it just feels kind of odd...but awesome!