HCs who will be Fired

RUGmen

4 hours ago, D82 said:

I don’t know why he took that job to begin with 

Not like people were beating down his door to begin with - his hiring as a DC two years ago was even met with a "really? Ok... I guess..." response. This effectively ends Lovie's football career - which was REALLY over two years ago, when Illinois fired him. 

I have always theorized Lovie himself was in on this eventuality - last year, David Culley was a one-and-done and that netted him a $3mm base salary and a $20mm contract buyout. In essence, David Culley made more money than both Bill Belicheck and Pete Carroll did for coaching during the 2021 season, not bad for somebody who shouldn’t have landed the job to begin with. Now, Lovie can join that list following whatever his buyout will be. If he wasn't retired before 2021, he can now with a nice little windfall.

4 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Can't imagine anybody else worth a damn takes it at this point.

Outside of the recent reaction on not securing Bryce Young at 1.1 (I think?) the Texans still have two top 15 picks in this draft along with two more 1st round picks in next seasons' draft; The dead cap from the Deshaun Watson trade will no longer be an issue this off-season, so the Texans will have upwards of $65mm in free cap space, along with no pressing free agents on roster that must be signed (maybe Tytus Howard, and that's debatable). Laremy Tunsil is really the only non-rookie you're committed to at this point (and despite the sticker price originally paid, he's a borderline elite LT). 

The last two years notwithstanding (see above on my buyout theory with Lovie - I can't really tell you if that is by design or not) the Texans HC gig used to be one with a long leash; both Bill O'Brien and Gary Kubiak were given about three seasons too long to turn the Texans into a contender - and both O'Brien and Kubiak were given too much power over personnel in that pursuit. Plus, there's the benefit of no state income tax in Texas, so that seven figure salary is going to be more money to be paid out (that matters).

Maybe this is a function of Nick Caserio and THAT is the downside of this job, but there are much worse situations in the NFL to be associated with. The Colts or Panthers don't have the same resources in the draft, the Broncos are saddled with a hyper-expensive QB and no picks or cap space (and an FO guy who will never be fired in John Elway) the Cardinals are tied to Kyler Murray (who is rehabbing his knee and might not be ready next season). Maybe either LA job is more interesting if they become available, but that's a pretty short list overall.

Teams that fire their HC are bad situations by design - firing a coach after a 13-4 season never happens. But, if you're going to be in a situation, best it be a rebuild where the majority of the teardown is complete.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not like people were beating down his door to begin with - his hiring as a DC two years ago was even met with a "really? Ok... I guess..." response. This effectively ends Lovie's football career - which was REALLY over two years ago, when Illinois fired him. 

I have always theorized Lovie himself was in on this eventuality - last year, David Culley was a one-and-done and that netted him a $3mm base salary and a $20mm contract buyout. In essence, David Culley made more money than both Bill Belicheck and Pete Carroll did for coaching during the 2021 season, not bad for somebody who shouldn’t have landed the job to begin with. Now, Lovie can join that list following whatever his buyout will be. If he wasn't retired before 2021, he can now with a nice little windfall.

Outside of the recent reaction on not securing Bryce Young at 1.1 (I think?) the Texans still have two top 15 picks in this draft along with two more 1st round picks in next seasons' draft; The dead cap from the Deshaun Watson trade will no longer be an issue this off-season, so the Texans will have upwards of $65mm in free cap space, along with no pressing free agents on roster that must be signed (maybe Tytus Howard, and that's debatable). Laremy Tunsil is really the only non-rookie you're committed to at this point (and despite the sticker price originally paid, he's a borderline elite LT). 

The last two years notwithstanding (see above on my buyout theory with Lovie - I can't really tell you if that is by design or not) the Texans HC gig used to be one with a long leash; both Bill O'Brien and Gary Kubiak were given about three seasons too long to turn the Texans into a contender - and both O'Brien and Kubiak were given too much power over personnel in that pursuit. Plus, there's the benefit of no state income tax in Texas, so that seven figure salary is going to be more money to be paid out (that matters).

Maybe this is a function of Nick Caserio and THAT is the downside of this job, but there are much worse situations in the NFL to be associated with. The Colts or Panthers don't have the same resources in the draft, the Broncos are saddled with a hyper-expensive QB and no picks or cap space (and an FO guy who will never be fired in John Elway) the Cardinals are tied to Kyler Murray (who is rehabbing his knee and might not be ready next season). Maybe either LA job is more interesting if they become available, but that's a pretty short list overall.

Teams that fire their HC are bad situations by design - firing a coach after a 13-4 season never happens. But, if you're going to be in a situation, best it be a rebuild where the majority of the teardown is complete.

Marty Schottenheimer says, "How dare you forget about me, you young whippersnapper. I went 14-2 and got fired." 

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Panthers

Colts

Broncos

Texans

Who’s next?

Commanders, Buccaneers(Bowles sucks), Cardinals(Kliff has reached his peak in this league), Titans(just fired the GM but I think Vrabel becomes their “Belichick”), Browns(maybe?), Cowboys(depends on playoffs)

Kliff is definitely done.

• Like 1

What GM's are at risk of being let go? There was some talk about Nick Caserio & Chris Ballard, but both seem to be staying and overseeing their teams new HC hire

Jon Robinson was already fired. Keim is on a "leave of absence". Not sure any other GM's are on the hotseat

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

This would make sense if Lovie Smith hadn't been given a bunch of chances to prove he's a good coach in other stops and basically sucked everywhere he went with the exception of a few years with Chicago. 

True, but why fired their HC after their 2021 season only to hire Lovie Smith after that.... Their GM should know that this job was not very attractive right now

1 minute ago, Steelersfan43 said:

True, but why fired their HC after their 2021 season only to hire Lovie Smith after that.... Their GM should know that this job was not very attractive right now

My guess is they had someone else in mind who decided not to take the job and then settled on Lovie Smith. It was a hard sell for any coach. BOB had made a total mess of the roster and they didn't have any picks because of it. So its hard to fault the Texans for trying to improve but most likely being rebuffed by preferred candidates. When Joe Gibbs retired we ended up with Zorn because nobody else would take the job. It happens some times. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This would make sense if Lovie Smith hadn't been given a bunch of chances to prove he's a good coach in other stops and basically sucked everywhere he went with the exception of a few years with Chicago. 

So they fired him because the Bears, Buccaneers and University of Illinois fired him?

• Like 1

Just now, lavar703 said:

My guess is they had someone else in mind who decided not to take the job and then settled on Lovie Smith. It was a hard sell for any coach. BOB had made a total mess of the roster and they didn't have any picks because of it. So its hard to fault the Texans for trying to improve but most likely being rebuffed by preferred candidates. When Joe Gibbs retired we ended up with Zorn because nobody else would take the job. It happens some times. 

I had no problem with Bill O'Brien's firing, he was awful especially as GM!

But David Culley, after only one year to be replaced just by Lovie Smith, I didn't understand that especially when the GM must have known that the job was not attractive!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

They fired a coach based on his prior positions that had nothing to do with the current job? Now imagine that in the real world

Getting graded in a class based on your work in a course completed two years ago

• Like 1