HCs who will be Fired

RUGmen

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

They fired a coach based on his prior positions that had nothing to do with the current job? Now imagine that in the real world

Getting graded in a class based on your work in a course completed two years ago

You mean, like a résumé? Literally how pretty much everyone applies for a job. Yeah, places hiring you look at your past when doing so. The Texans settled on a coach they didn’t want and it ended up pretty much how the rest of Lovie’s stops ended up. 

It would be as dumb as the Raiders continuing on with Josh McDaniels or my team continuing to employ Ron Rivera even though he’s had 3 winning seasons in 12 years. Making a mistake is one thing. Doubling down on it so you don’t hurt peoples feelings is even worse. The Texans made the right move. 

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So exactly what did I say that you’re having an issue with? The part where I said he was given a ton of chances and sucked everywhere he coached? Because he just coached a team to 3 wins and he brought in Pep Hamilton who was god awful. He’s not a good coach. 

Saying he deserves to get fired because of how he was in previous stops. That was already known so why hire him in the first place especially to a team with little to no talent. Why not fire Caserio too?

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Saying he deserves to get fired because of how he was in previous stops. That was already known so why hire him in the first place especially to a team with little to no talent. Why not fire Caserio too?

He’s 28-76 as a head coach since leaving Chicago. That includes Tampa, Illinois and Houston. Do you want that guy coaching your team? Caserio didn’t pick them. Easterby did and he was fired already. 

3 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I had no problem with Bill O'Brien's firing, he was awful especially as GM!

But David Culley, after only one year to be replaced just by Lovie Smith, I didn't understand that especially when the GM must have known that the job was not attractive!

Here’s some information on the David Culley era that’s not apparent unless you followed the Texans closely (which I do):

On 1/13/2022 at 2:53 PM, ET80 said:

Here's a really deep dive into the David Culley era in Houston:

https://theathletic.com/3067310/2022/01/12/fact-checking-arguments-for-and-against-the-texans-firing-david-culley?source=user-shared-article

Some fun nuggets:

- The Texans’ matched Las Vegas’ preseason expected win total, but when they weren’t competitive, they were really not competitive. They lost on average by 17.2 points.

- The 2020 Texans had a minus-80 point differential through 16 games, while Culley’s Texans were minus-169 through 16 games. In 2020, the Texans were 2-9 in one-score games; this season’s team was 0-4. No Texans team played in fewer one-score games than this season’s Texans, despite this being the longest season in Texans history.

- But in both of those victories (LAC, Tenn) as well as the Texans’ Week 1 win over the Jaguars, Houston finished plus-3 or better in turnover margin. In other words, turnover luck bounced the Texans’ way in a significant way, and that’s not a sustainable way to win or a smart way to evaluate the team’s overall performance.

- He’s made elementary game-management errors and offered head-scratching explanations. Among them:

He declined a penalty to punt a play early against the Browns out of frustration.

He did not understand Caserio’s in-game advice on the headset to let the Patriots score late in a close loss.

In that same Patriots game, he thought the clock stopped on New England’s final drive because of an incomplete pass, but it stopped because Culley called a timeout.

Down 11 early in the fourth quarter against the Dolphins, in a game in which his team failed to score a touchdown in its three prior red zone trips, Culley opted for a field goal from the Miami 1-yard line.

He said after losing to the Dolphins that his team would never win while turning the ball over four times, despite the Texans defense recording five takeaways that day.

After seeing the Texans’ up-tempo passing game have success in a failed comeback against the Titans, Culley said he shouldn’t have relied so heavily on one of the least efficient running games of this century. It took him 16.5 games to come to that revelation.

Let's level set here - the Texans are bad, sure. David Culley was part of the reason they were bad.

He was never qualified for the position to begin with, made mistakes with basic gamecalling (he once forgot *he* called a timeout). This doesn’t even go into the post game press conferences, where he’d make comments on Deshaun Watson - who was under criminal investigation at the time. Culley was saying things that could incriminate the Texans organization and interfere with this investigation; Nick Caserio had to start sitting in on HC press conferences to redirect these questions and prevent any further implications.

David Culley was a car wreck of a HC. Don’t let wins against Urban Meyer, Darrell Bevel, Brandon Staley and Mike Vrabel tell you otherwise.

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He’s 28-76 as a head coach since leaving Chicago. That includes Tampa, Illinois and Houston. Do you want that guy coaching your team? Caserio didn’t pick them. Easterby did and he was fired already. 

I wouldn't have hired him at all my point is his previous tenures have nothing to do with it. If the Texans went 9-8 would you bring up the University of Illinois? No. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I wouldn't have hired him at all my point is his previous tenures have nothing to do with it. If the Texans went 9-8 would you bring up the University of Illinois? No. 

Did the Texans go 9-8 or was it more of the same for Lovie Smith? Do you think if you suck at one job but another place of employment gives you a chance at the offshoot that it was outside forces impacting your situation and you end up still sucking at your job that they’ll keep you around? Do you genuinely believe a place of employment does not look at the history of your working career?

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You mean, like a résumé? Literally how pretty much everyone applies for a job. Yeah, places hiring you look at your past when doing so. The Texans settled on a coach they didn’t want and it ended up pretty much how the rest of Lovie’s stops ended up. 

It would be as dumb as the Raiders continuing on with Josh McDaniels or my team continuing to employ Ron Rivera even though he’s had 3 winning seasons in 12 years. Making a mistake is one thing. Doubling down on it so you don’t hurt peoples feelings is even worse. The Texans made the right move. 

A Resume? You’re talking about getting hired not fired. Not the same. Getting fired for performance on your previous job from your current is asinine 

15 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The Texans really had no choice in hiring him. Remember - the Texans advertised that Brian Flores, Jonathan Gannon and Josh McCown as the finalists for the job. Shortly afterward, Brian Flores’ discrimination lawsuit hit the news wire - the weekend comes and goes, and suddenly the Texans are introducing Lovie as HC.

The prevailing theory is that the Texans were going to announce Josh McCown as HC, which would have provided Flores with significant ammunition on his discrimination case; Flores would have now lost a job to a guy with zero coaching experience at ANY level. The Texans had to redirect fast, and Lovie was still in the building - so he be another choice you’re not tied to, so in the NEXT hiring cycle, you could get your guy. 

So, here we are - and the exec who wanted McCown is no longer with the organization - but Lovie was a placeholder to begin with, so what now?

I can't imagine being a Saints fan if Dennis Allen & Pete Carmichael kept for another season.     The Saints deserved far better than what Allen / Carmichael gave them on O - that's a 9-10 win team this year without the O gameplans and game management blunders by Allen.

Hackett / Kingsbury were no-brainers, but man, Allen did more than enough to merit a "no thanks" on year 2...realizing that year 1 firings are rarely called for, but this fits.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

You shouldn’t keep a HC just for the sake of giving them another year. If they demonstrate that they’re clearly not the guy, then you move on as soon as possible. Culley sucked and deserved to be moved on from. Lovie sucked and deserved to be moved on from (and we all know the politics that were involved in that hire in the first place). It’s really simple, honestly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You shouldn’t keep a HC just for the sake of giving them another year. If they demonstrate that they’re clearly not the guy, then you move on as soon as possible. Culley sucked and deserved to be moved on from. Lovie sucked and deserved to be moved on from (and we all know the politics that were involved in that hire in the first place). It’s really simple, honestly.

I get this - bit i would understand the trepidation from other candidates related to organizational stability. The Texans are dysfunctional, but I think they're acknowledging this dysfunction and addressing it internally (or not...)

Honestly? If I'm a HC candidate, I'm probably looking at this job thinking I'll get an extra 2-3 years that I shouldn't get, because the Texans are going to be gunshy in firing another HC quickly.