MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

As I Bills fan- I still have a soft spot for the Bengals since Dalton catapulted Buffalo to the playoffs in 2017.

Burrow is awesome. He's closing the gap between himself and Mahomes/Allen. All he needs to do is go nuclear in the playoffs like we've seen from Allen and Mahomes for me to put him in their tier (Mahomes is #1 for me, though). I have little doubt Burrow is going to have a great playoff campaign sooner rather than later. 

Cincy's WR core gives me night terrors! Chase, Higgins, and Boyd just isn't fair. You have two outstanding WRs and one of the best slot receivers. I think they're going to give our CBs fits, though Tre has been trending in the right direction. Hopefully Elam is starting. The secondary just hasn't been nearly as good as years past.

On top of a sick WR core- the Bengals seemingly have a good O line now (according to the stats, but perhaps a Cincy fan can chime in with the deets!), and while Buffalo has a solid pass rush- the loss of Von Miller is noticeable. He was the game wrecker we've needed from the EDGE although Rousseau is having himself a strong season. Ed Oliver is a menace on the interior of the line. I doubt we see the pressure we saw vs CHI or NYJ. It'll probably look more like what we saw from the MIA game, which had some sporadic success, but not enough consistent pressure. 

On offense- Allen has been inconsistent. One week he looks to be on the path of playing like he did earlier in the year (MIA & NE), other games he's fighting it a bit and playing hero ball in terrible weather (CHI). The good news for Bills fans is- he is typically MONEY in high profile games like this, and there's little doubt he'll find his way again. Diggs hasn't been utilized enough, but it seems Allen is trying to find other ways to get the offense going and is working through some things. Cook and Singletary were amazing last week but play calling + run blocking limits their impact at times. The O-line is inconsistent, and a bit banged up. When Morse is out, which seems likely- then the O line is usually a mess with communication. 

So, I think the Bengals have much better personnel on offense with their WRs and O line, but if Buffalo's running game (RBs) is coming alive, then that'll really stress opposing defenses. Should be a good one!

• Like 2

This is supposed to be the Bills year, they were the huge favorite going in. This is supposed to be the best bills team ever, so yeah they should win this game. 

I said pre season no team has more pressure to get to and win the superbowl than Buffalo and it’s still the case. They already beat the chiefs this year so beating the other contender in the afc would be a feather in the cap.

Edited by CP3MVP

19 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Monday January 2nd, 2023
8:30pm EST

I know it's early, but I'm excited about this one: the first meeting between Joe Burrow and Josh Allen. This could potentially be a playoff preview - if either team hopes to get to the Super Bowl, they may well have to take care of the other along the way.

Bengals are one game behind Buffalo and KC for the #1 seed; this is a huge game. Burrow is maybe on the hottest streak of any QB in the league lately. Outside of the QBs, I'm looking forward to seeing the Bills defense matching up against Chase, Boyd, Higgins et al. Bills have allowed huge games to star WRs this season; how will they deal with this group? Cincy's o-line has vastly improved over the course of the year - Buffalo's pass rushing unit has been depleted even as their coverage seems to have gotten better after Tre White returned to the lineup. 

Who takes this bout?

tfqsdfxlhdgqf44qjdof

I've been marking this one down for a few weeks now. 

Last year, I thought Bengals and Bills would have been a great game given what we seen from Bengals V Chiefs and Bills V Chiefs, although last year I think Bengals offensive line was too weak, and much weaker than this season. 

Right now, I think Bengals are better than last season, and Bills are about the same. And with that being said, I think on paper they are the two most evenly matched teams in the league. Home field advantage goes to Bills 33 - 30 

11 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

This is supposed to be the Bills year, they were the huge favorite going in. This is supposed to be the best bills team ever, so yeah they should win this game. 

I said pre season no team has more pressure to get to and win the superbowl than Buffalo and it’s still the case. They already beat the chiefs this year so beating the other contender in the afc would be a feather in the cap.

Keep in mind a big part of that was the addition of Von Miller. 

Right now the Bengals are the team to beat in the AFC given they just went to the SB last year. I think this game is going to come down to whether the Bills defense can get to Joe Burrow often enough. 

20 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

They need to win this game, but the best Bills team ever is a stretch when they aren’t as good as last year lol. It’s the same team

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Keep in mind a big part of that was the addition of Von Miller. 

Right now the Bengals are the team to beat in the AFC given they just went to the SB last year. I think this game is going to come down to whether the Bills defense can get to Joe Burrow often enough. 

This is a Josh Allen game. This is a game when our premier QB needs to go win us one, he’s done it on prime time time and time again

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I mean they are the #1 seed in the AFC right now and pretty much have been all season long, there's a lot of supposed to's in your comment like they haven't been the best team in the AFC all season long. It's almost flipped to where before the Bills were the media darlings and now if they don't blow out a team by 14-21 they don't look great and they're in trouble; while KC barely squeaks by the Texans and Broncos and that makes them a resilient bunch. I guess when you're the favorite those are the expectations you receive. 

As for the huge favorites going in... I think they were huge favorites because they signed the best pass rush closer in the NFL and that's what they were missing (Von Miller). Now that they're without him they're essentially the team they were the past 2-3 years. Still good enough to make it and win it but def not heavy favorites like implied. 

The thing is, if the Bills or Chiefs win the super bowl, one curse/coincidence will be broken:

• No league MVP has won the superbowl in the same season - No Chiefs/Mahomes
  • No odds on preseason favorite for the super bowl has gone on to win the superbowl - No Bills/Allen

Looking like an NFC team or the Bengals! Lol.

Edited by The BILLievers
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

This is a Josh Allen game. This is a game when our premier QB needs to go win us one, he’s done it on prime time time and time again

Agreed 100x. If this is a typical Josh Allen primetime big stage game and he goes for 300+ passing yards, 50+ rushing yards and 2-4 TDs, the Bills should win it. 

9 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The Bills were the SB favorite before this year but no one thought it was going to be easy with very few regular season and playoff adversity like the 1989 49ers!

Yeah,  it’s actually fun. The Bills were the favorite, have 3 one score game losses. Best point differential in the NFL. Have beaten every AFC playoff team they have played so far (split with Miami). Josh Allen Sprained his elbow in November, and they’ve played in crazy weather, and lost a home game due to said weather. Von Miller has been out the last month with an ACL tear, and they are still the 1 seed.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Do the Bills become the 3-seed if they lose? 

If that’s the case I hope they win, because I think the Bills are the team we match up the worst against of KC/Cin/Buffalo.

They would be the 3 going into the final week (assuming KC beats Den). But a win over NE in the final week and a Chief or Bengal loss could get them the 2nd seed

18 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Yeah,  it’s actually fun. The Bills were the favorite, have 3 one score game losses. Best point differential in the NFL. Have beaten every AFC playoff team they have played so far (split with Miami). Josh Allen Sprained his elbow in November, and they’ve played in crazy weather, and lost a home game due to said weather. Von Miller has been out the last month with an ACL tear, and they are still the 1 seed.

The narrative has been hilarious to follow. Omg 3 loses all by 3 points or less, how are they still the favorites?!?!

3 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

The narrative has been hilarious to follow. Omg 3 loses all by 3 points or less, how are they still the favorites?!?!

National media quite frankly got bored with the team after the Miami loss in 110 degree heat and have been chomping at the bit for another team to top them since, same thing with the Colts game last year.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 5:46 PM, INbengalfan said:

Not really.  The Bills have clinched the East, and the Ravens are a game back of the Bengals.  While the Bengals can get in simply by winning the Week 18 game against the Ravens, they still have just as much to play for, seeing as the winner has the inside track for the second seed, and if the Chiefs lose, the winner gets the 1 seed.

The Bills already have the 1 seed. The only way they drop to 2 seed is if they lose a game