MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Just now, Calamity_Cometh said:

On one hand, that low effort performance art garbage they call a sports show doesn't deserve an ounce of attention.

On the other hand, allowing that to go unanswered really rubs me wrong, as Higgins doesn't deserve to endure that trash.

I know someone that works on one of those shows and a majority of the time those takes are written by researchers and things like that.  And producers tell them what to research and what to pull up for an argument.  But I was told its most often the former players that go off script and creates a “oh crap” moment behind the scenes where usually the producer is in peoples ears telling them to ‘get out’.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Punish probably isn't the right word but I can't see the NFL doing this scenario because it ultimately punishes the Chiefs for no reason and to a lesser extent the Bengals and Ravens.

I really don't know what the solution is. No matter what happens people won't like it or will disagree with it.

I don't see it as punishment though.  The Bills were the one seed going into the weekend.  They would still be in this scenario.  We are also "hurt" as we lose the ability to jump up to one if the Chiefs lose.  And after sitting there watching it unfold, I don't give two ***** either.  A human life hangs in the balance and his teammates are in disarray.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

So the options are now:

1. Don't count the game against the teams record
  2. Both get a tie
  3. They replay it and move things back a week?

In this scenario, Buffalo loses the 1 seed/home field/bye, KC overtakes the 1 seed, Bengals can no longer get the 2 seed instead of Buffalo (unless Bills lose to NE next week) but the Bengals are guaranteed the AFC North title, and Ravens don't have a shot at the division and are now a wild card team. 

There is a third option--declare the game a no-contest. This happens annually in baseball.

It is different from a tie in that it is not figured into the standings at all, but the effect is almost the same. If this is what they choose to do then the Bills will lose the top seed because they have not matched the Chiefs' win total. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I know this sounds ultracallused but - this is the right call.  Not like they can put the entire season on hold until he’s out of the hospital or passes away (I certainly hope not).  But the best they can do is say they plan on waiting out the week and see how this progresses.  

I do not think it is a callous statement on your part. Perfectly reasonable answer and I agree that they should try their utmost to adhere to the week 18 schedule.

Just now, INbengalfan said:

I don't see it as punishment though.  The Bills were the one seed going into the weekend.  They would still be in this scenario.  We are also "hurt" as we lose the ability to jump up to one if the Chiefs lose.  And after sitting there watching it unfold, I don't give two ***** either.  A human life hangs in the balance and his teammates are in disarray.

I get it. But going into last night the Chiefs were the one seed. So erasing their earned win doesn't seem right.

At the end of the day, I like you, don't care right now. Whatever happens happens in regards to the seeding and playoffs. I just hope Hamlin is okay and the teams can move past this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

There is a third option--declare the game a no-contest. This happens annually in baseball.

It is different from a tie in that it is not figured into the standings at all, but the effect is almost the same. If this is what they choose to do then the Bills will lose the top seed because they have not matched the Chiefs' win total. 

Yeah a no contest was bullet point 1 - they don't count the game against the record so the Bills would lose their 1 seed due to the fact they had one less game to get the W even though they beat the Chiefs. Such a sad sad tragedy and now puts the NFL in such a weird spot before the playoffs begin. 

1 minute ago, The BILLievers said:

Yeah a no contest was bullet point 1 - they don't count the game against the record so the Bills would lose their 1 seed due to the fact they had one less game to get the W even though they beat the Chiefs. Such a sad sad tragedy and now puts the NFL in such a weird spot before the playoffs begin. 

There are no winners here. No one really comes out of this whole and that is just what it is. Damn shame.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

I agree. And I think most players probably do to. If there are players who won't or don't want to play this weekend, that is their prerogative.

Same for the Bills themselves. If the team can't practice this week or play, then so be it. I know a lot of fans would be upset but it should be there call whether to play or not as scheduled.  

Amen.  There’s a lot that still needing to play out on the field and it’s hard to just toss that out the window.  The best thing they can do is let players themselves decide.

• Like 1