MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Because it's not ideal to have the conferences our of sync with eachother?

So you throw both into a spin cycle when you can go tie or no contest and only impact 3-5 teams?

• Like 1

Just now, Calamity_Cometh said:

It feels like there should certainly be an act of god/natural disaster clause somewhere in their damn bylaws but with how silent it is, perhaps not. Although I think they are waiting on a Hamlin update, they can't wait forever.

The NFL did not have a force majeure clause as of 2020.

I cannot find anything that says they added one.

NFLPA acknowledges lack of force majeure clause in CBA - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

42 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That in itself isn't fair though.  Playing 3 games in 10-11 days is absolutely a disadvantage.

It's totally fair enough. Much more fair than anything else. Teams play 4 games in 12 days sometimes. They can make on Wednesday and other Monday even. Two overlapping stretched of 3 games in 11 days is tough but it's not the worst and one team could have the bye anyways.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So the first round bye now turns into two weeks? Teams without a bye now get an extra week to heal players up?

That's hitting teams inconsistenly - as @AFlaccoSeagulls says, that's the difference between Lamar Jackson and Tyler Huntley.

Yes, this is what I was getting at. To me, it makes the most sense. It allows the playoffs to pan out as they should with all the matchups played as they should be. I understand it allows players to heal up. But it allows everybody to heal up. It doesn’t give anybody a leg up, if you will. Yea, it allows Hurts and Lamar an extra week of healing up. The owners of the teams plying them might not like it but us fans should. I WANT the superstars in. I want Lamar and Hurts playing in the playoffs. Who wants to watch Minshew and Huntley??? I just think this option maintains the integrity of the season best. Is there still complications with TV and everything else? Of course

I feel like the NFL is king and can basically dictate what they want don’t and it can be done. Will they? I doubt it. Not because they can’t but because it’s easier to tell the Bills or a few teams that they just have to deal with the consequences of this very unfortunate event and move on. 

To me, canceling the pro bowl and moving everything back a week allows the season to play out as it should. It basically gives all playoff teams a week off to heal and get ready for the big prize. (Except the Bills and Bengals) but it maintains the integrity of the standings/seedlings and gives everyone who worked hard all year their shot at what they deserve. With that being said….. Bills forfeit last 2 and it only affects about 8 teams. 

9 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I still can't believe this is a thing. It sounds like something out of a Bruce Lee movie. In a world where people have survived particle accelerators, nuclear bombs, and plane crashes.

Kill Bill, the one punch to the heart thing (it's been awhile wince I've seen it)

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

"It's not about how hard of a hit it was," said Dr. Comilla Sasson, an emergency medicine physician in Denver and a spokesperson for the American Heart Association. "It’s actually about the timing of when the blow happens."

Normally, the heart pumps oxygen-rich blood throughout the body about every second. There is a rhythm to the process, keeping the blood flowing at a healthy pace. But every time the heart beats, there is a tiny moment — less than a fifth of a second — that makes the heart vulnerable to the force of a projectile, such as a hockey puck or a baseball, that can lead to a chaotic and potentially deadly heart rhythm.

It is in this exact moment, experts say, that a blow to the chest in the exact right place can launch an otherwise healthy person into cardiac arrest. The heart's electrical system malfunctions, and the heart beating rhythm goes haywire.

Seconds after such an injury are critical to the patient's survival, Sasson said.

"For every one minute that you don't have CPR performed, your chances of survival go down by about 10%," she said. In Hamlin's case, medical personnel on the sidelines rushed in to perform CPR until he was stable enough to be taken by ambulance for further treatment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cardiac-arrest-causes-buffalo-bills-damar-hamlin-rcna64020

I would just like to put a caveat to that last paragraph - as a certified CPR/AED instructor CPR itself does not restart a heart it only continues blood circulation - AED shock is the only thing that restarts a heart.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

no, it's just nothing. both teams have 16 games in their record instead of 17. It most certainly is not the same as a tie.

A team who finished 9-7 with a no contest and a team who finished 9-7-1 would be considered to have the EXACT same record in the NFL? 

Call it a tie, call it a no contest, they result in the EXACT same thing.

Personally I don’t think the NFL is going to pull any gymnastics to get this played. We’ll just go ahead with week 18. It’s unfortunate that the villa won’t control their own destiny for the 1 seed, but they’ve got bigger things on their mind. And for the Ravens, they won’t be able to win the division anymore but they might actually be better off being able to rest and get healthy than going all out to win and potentially losing anyway. 

The simplest and easiest solution to me (I mentioned it way back in a longer post) would be to declare a tie but also ignore the Chief's win in the final seedings standings for the top 3.  Is it fair?  No.  Chiefs robbed, Bills robbed of chance to keep the 1 seed, and Bengals definitely robbed of a chance to climb even with Buffalo and claim that tiebreaker.  Ravens robbed if they won Sunday since Bills didn't get a chance to give them one more loss.

But it causes the least disruption to everything else.  The only way I see this game ever resumed from last night is if Cincy and KC both lose on Sunday

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

The NFL did not have a force majeure clause as of 2020.

I cannot find anything that says they added one.

NFLPA acknowledges lack of force majeure clause in CBA - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

They'd have to negotiate that in, I reckon.

I think this means Bengals and Bills players get paid for Monday and everyone gets paid for any cancellations.

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

A team who finished 9-7 with a no contest and a team who finished 9-7-1 would be considered to have the EXACT same record in the NFL? 

Call it a tie, call it a no contest, they result in the EXACT same thing.

Personally I don’t think the NFL is going to pull any gymnastics to get this played. We’ll just go ahead with week 18. It’s unfortunate that the villa won’t control their own destiny for the 1 seed, but they’ve got bigger things on their mind. And for the Ravens, they won’t be able to win the division anymore but they might actually be better off being able to rest and get healthy than going all out to win and potentially losing anyway. 

This isn't baseball. You are wrong. A tie is 9.5/17=0.558823529. No contest is 9/16=0.5625.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

The simplest and easiest solution to me (I mentioned it way back in a longer post) would be to declare a tie but also ignore the Chief's win in the final seedings standings for the top 3.  Is it fair?  No.  Chiefs robbed, Bills robbed of chance to keep the 1 seed, and Bengals definitely robbed of a chance to climb even with Buffalo and claim that tiebreaker.  Ravens robbed if they won Sunday since Bills didn't get a chance to give them one more loss.

But it causes the least disruption to everything else.  The only way I see this game ever resumed from last night is if Cincy and KC both lose on Sunday

I just don’t think you can make a decision that includes teams that didn’t play in this game. UNLESS the decision is to push week 18 back and resume this game next Monday and give all other teams a bye. Is that fair to the Bengals and Bills? Absolutely not, nothing is fair in this situation, but either declare it a tie which only impacts the two teams or make a decision that impacts in the entire league.

But I would also say we we underestimating the impact that this is probably having on every single NFL player - with such a freak incident like this - there has to be a lot of “that could have easily been me” going on.

Edited by Mizter_Clean10
  • Like 3