Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

Before the Saints get too ridiculed for trading a draft pick for a guy that is about to be cut. I get the logic behind the draft pick. I just am not particularly thrilled about the QB. By trading a pick for Carr, we can have the Raiders agree to take on a portion of his contract. For a team that is very cap challenged in 2023 (should be in a better cap situation after 2023), we would need to do something like this to make a deal with Carr work.

If he were to become a free agent it’s possible we get into a bidding war with one of the many teams needing a QB this offseason, which would potentially be worse long term than investing a draft pick on him (depending on what that pick is). I personally would rather roll with Dalton and draft a QB high this year or next year (tank for Caleb Williams). I don’t think Carr will ever be the guy to lead us into a deep playoff run.

7 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Before the Saints get too ridiculed for trading a draft pick for a guy that is about to be cut. I get the logic behind the draft pick. I just am not particularly thrilled about the QB. By trading a pick for Carr, we can have the Raiders agree to take on a portion of his contract. For a team that is very cap challenged in 2023 (should be in a better cap situation after 2023), we would need to do something like this to make a deal with Carr work.

If he were to become a free agent it’s possible we get into a bidding war with one of the many teams needing a QB this offseason, which would potentially be worse long term than investing a draft pick on him (depending on what that pick is). I personally would rather roll with Dalton and draft a QB high this year or next year (tank for Caleb Williams). I don’t think Carr will ever be the guy to lead us into a deep playoff run.

Just now, tyler735 said:

Yep this pretty much sums up what I was saying

Not sure how much it'd change if the deal is reworked but the one benefit of trading for Carr is that it's not really a long term commitment on his current deal. The Saints could move on with almost 0 dead money in 2024 or 2025.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Not sure how much it'd change if the deal is reworked but the one benefit of trading for Carr is that it's not really a long term commitment on his current deal. The Saints could move on with almost 0 dead money in 2024 or 2025.

That definitely is a massive perk that I didn’t think about. If we sent a mid round pick for him, I could get behind giving him a 1 year trial. If for some reason a change of scenery gets his career back on track we have him on a decent contract. If he has an another year like this past season, we can easily move on from him.

4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

That definitely is a massive perk that I didn’t think about. If we sent a mid round pick for him, I could get behind giving him a 1 year trial. If for some reason a change of scenery gets his career back on track we have him on a decent contract. If he has an another year like this past season, we can easily move on from him.

I'm praying we get at least #40.

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Carr would honestly be dumb not to say yes to the Saints in my opinion. That's one of the best situations in the NFL for a new QB. Dome, elite D, great RB, good OL...

What, you wanna sign for less with the Jets? Lol.

Connection to their head coach from his rookie season, Carr said earlier in the year that he and Dennis Allen still talk all of the time. The Saints are one of the best ran franchises in all of professional sports. I think it will come down to two things: 1.) Does his family want to move to New Orleans 2.) Is Carr comfortable with the adjustments that have to be made to his contract to get a deal done. 

The Saints are apparently the only team that wants Carr enough to agree to trade for him as well, that has to mean something to him.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1