Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

2 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Carr gets a large sum of money guaranteed 3 days after the Super Bowl and Carr has to approve any trade destination. I highly doubt the Raiders will get any compensation and will cut him. There just isn’t enough time/leverage for them to ask for really anything in return. Carr can just wait and force them to pay him or cut him. 

What? He has a 7.5mil signing bonus that's been paid out and no guaranteed money beyond this year? The guarantees would be injury guarantees and he isn't playing and isn't hurt. Why would there be a 3 day after the SB window to move on?

5 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Carr gets a large sum of money guaranteed 3 days after the Super Bowl and Carr has to approve any trade destination. I highly doubt the Raiders will get any compensation and will cut him. There just isn’t enough time/leverage for them to ask for really anything in return. Carr can just wait and force them to pay him or cut him. 

The problem with this is no one is going to pay Carr what he is currently making, so waiving his trade clause and going to his team of choice works out for everyone. He may come around eventually. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The problem with this is no one is going to pay Carr what he is currently making, so waiving his trade clause and going to his team of choice works out for everyone. He may come around eventually. 

No one would pay 33 mil with no strings attached next year for Carr? Then basically two free option years at 42mil? The Cap is like 220mil next year a 33mil deal for a QB is 15%. The Titans pay Tannehill 18% of their cap this year. The Lions 14% for Goff. The Vikings 15% for Cousins. Commanders 13% for Wentz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

What? He has a 7.5mil signing bonus that's been paid out and no guaranteed money beyond this year? The guarantees would be injury guarantees and he isn't playing and isn't hurt. Why would there be a 3 day after the SB window to move on?

Carrs 2023 (34m) & 7.5m of 2024’s salary becomes fully guaranteed if he is still on the roster on 2/15. You’re welcome to check the info on Spotrac but that doesn’t give a ton of time for the Raiders to find compensation.

Carr has no motivation to remove the no trade clause. He is a better option than Tannehill and would likely receive more money on the open market. In fact I’d bet apples to Oranges Carr won’t approve any trade unless he is also getting a new contract. 

12 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Carrs 2023 (34m) & 7.5m of 2024’s salary becomes fully guaranteed if he is still on the roster on 2/15. You’re welcome to check the info on Spotrac but that doesn’t give a ton of time for the Raiders to find compensation.

Carr has no motivation to remove the no trade clause. He is a better option than Tannehill and would likely receive more money on the open market. In fact I’d bet apples to Oranges Carr won’t approve any trade unless he is also getting a new contract. 

Our Raiders are legitimately terrible. If his 25mil for 2023 guarantees he becomes a 7 or 8mil QB for some team. I eat that dead cap eat with pride if it's a first round pick in the pocket over cutting him for no value. If he doesn't want to go to another team, I would keep him regardless of being benched. He can compete with Anthony Richardson, which very likely is Carr is the better chance to win and bridge. Then you can trade in 2024. Cutting for nothing is such a waste. It's amazing how poorly our team is ran. We have nothing to show from having insane resources.

Edited by Trojan

Congrats to Stiddy today. This is why I’ve been asking Carr to be gone for years. Carr plays with so much panic and conservativeness, especially in the redzone. Carr’s production is so easily replaceable. 

I guarantee if Carr played today, he is sacked 5 times (Stidham 0), and we score 17 points MAX. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

That’s why looking at stat lines is not a good way to evaluate play quality. 

Especially over a single game. The bigger the sample, the better stats get. Over a single game/drive/play, context begins to matter so much more. 

I didn't mean to come off as disparaging Stidham, but rather that it looked like he stepped in and played as well as prime Carr (who I think was certainly solid on his best days). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Good thing most around here are better than just reading stat lines. 

Are you thinking 350yds 3:2 is a bad line or are you just getting defensive about comparing him to Carr?

Stepping in day 1 and playing as well as the QB you replaced on his better days is a complement, not an insult. 

44 minutes ago, Soggust said:

The irony is that Stidham's 300+ yard 3td 2int (in a loss) performance reads like a Carr statline imo lol. 

You're forgetting this is against the #1 defense in the NFL. Carr is horrible against elite defenses. Also, Stidham escaped pressure multiple times and took no sacks. Carr is one of the worst play extenders in the NFL. The guy needs a Top 3 Pass Protection to have any resemblance of a good season. Carr would have taken 5 sacks today AT LEAST.