Raiders to release QB Derek Carr (Page 73)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don't know. Teams pay stupid money for QBs.

Carr’s current deal was set to be the 7th largest in the league over the next three years. I think the Feb 15 deadline hurt a potential trade significantly more than the NTC. Teams like Washington, Indy, Tampa didn’t even have offensive staffs in place. The Saints would’ve had to jump through a million hoops to get it done. The Jets weren’t going to commit this early when Rodgers / Lamar are also potentially going to be available. 

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr’s current deal was set to be the 7th largest in the league over the next three years. I think the Feb 15 deadline hurt a potential trade significantly more than the NTC. Teams like Washington, Indy, Tampa didn’t even have offensive staffs in place. The Saints would’ve had to jump through a million hoops to get it done. The Jets weren’t going to commit this early when Rodgers / Lamar are also potentially going to be available. 

But you said the Saints were the only team that showed any interest in Carr, so teams like Washington, Indy, and Tampa don't count. 

13 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yup we got finessed by Derek mf carr hugest L ever

epic failure 

No, no, no………. just no. 😁

We did this to ourselves, absolutely self inflicted, though you’re correct it is an epic failure.

Failing to get any draft capital back for a starting calibre QB when that is the most sought after and valuable position in Football is gross incompetence regardless your stance on Carr and his skills.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

We did this to ourselves, absolutely self inflicted, though you’re correct it is an epic failure.

Failing to get any draft capital back for a starting calibre QB when that is the most sought after and valuable position in Football is gross incompetence regardless your stance on Carr and his skills.

Carr didn’t even need a new contract 

I don’t understand what this fo is doing or why they would draw up a contract like that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

The bigger question is if you are not sure about a guy to the point you want a 1 year out, why not just trade him before the new deal to the Colts for 2 x 1st round picks that was allegedly on the table? The only way I am turning down that deal is if Carr is "my guy" and I wouldn't trade him for anything. All very curious.

• Like 2

Also, every report I see is a "All signs point to the Raiders cutting him" and "When the Raiders cut him". If it is so obvious that we will have to cut him as he won't accept a trade with any team...what are we waiting for? Anyone else feel like we will keep him and then try to trade him with his contract (or large part thereof), it just doesn't make much sense not to have cut him already and just make the story go away and move on.

Just now, Heart of Oak said:

Also, every report I see is a "All signs point to the Raiders cutting him" and "When the Raiders cut him". If it is so obvious that we will have to cut him as he won't accept a trade with any team...what are we waiting for? Anyone else feel like we will keep him and then try to trade him with his contract (or large part thereof), it just doesn't make much sense not to have cut him already and just make the story go away and move on.

It does seem weird why they didn't file the paperwork yesterday. But oh well.  It's been reported by everyone that we will release him, there's no reason to believe we're trying something tricksy. Just have to wait for the news. I would be we have until midnight tonight to get the paperwork sent off. 

6 minutes ago, NickButera said:

It does seem weird why they didn't file the paperwork yesterday. But oh well.  It's been reported by everyone that we will release him, there's no reason to believe we're trying something tricksy. Just have to wait for the news. I would be we have until midnight tonight to get the paperwork sent off. 

I am sure we probably will cut him but as time goes on I just keep asking...why not just get on with it?

Edited by Heart of Oak
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I want to see Carr go to the Jets. I want to see him against that division in the cold and try to compete in the AFC.

Truth be told, he's soft and will 100% choose an NFC team. Likely the NFC South with little competition for the division. A situation where he's pretty much a shoe in for the playoffs and can feel like he proved something. 

Then we can watch when a team like the Eagles, Cowboy or 49ers fold him like a lawn chair in the playoffs.

To be fair, that seems the sensible option and one I’d choose if I was him. Seems a little bitter to post this, but out of character for you BP?

I’m thankful for the effort he gave us but it’s time to move on, wish him the best and hope (rather than expect) we can make lemonade out of the lemons were left with.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

The bigger question is if you are not sure about a guy to the point you want a 1 year out, why not just trade him before the new deal to the Colts for 2 x 1st round picks that was allegedly on the table? The only way I am turning down that deal is if Carr is "my guy" and I wouldn't trade him for anything. All very curious.

Good point, I guess they wanted to see him in their system with what they tried to surround him with before signing in blood. Having said that, the draft capital is very hard to turn down given we know Carr is who he is, it’s a very curious turn of events. 

12 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

How much does it hurt us financially to keep him until during/after the Draft to try and change his mind on a trade? 

One has to expect he wants to sign with a contending team, and those will eventually start drying up once guys get drafted/sign elsewhere. 

Would it wreck us financially to hold off on a straight up release and call his bluff via "If you want to go anywhere in contention, you're going to need to play ball with us before it's too late"? 

2 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Al Davis would have kept him and forced him to either

A. Compete for the job with a Rookie/low priced FA 
B. Waive the NTC 
C. Retire

I miss old Al right about now 

I want to see that overhead projector again 😄 good times!!!

• Like 2