General Offseason Discussion

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ziegler is doing a decent job so far. His approach to research allocation is very thoughtful. This draft will be very telling. With Champ Kelly in the building, they should hit a home run.

I think his biggest mistake was letting Quinton Jefferson go for a pretty modest deal and signing Bilal Nichols in his place. If Jefferson was on the team, some of those 4th quarter losses could have gone the other way.

Jefferson was a Gus Bradley guy that returned to Seattle to play in a scheme he's familiar with, who knows if he  wanted to come back.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Andre James holds a 6.9 million cap number and a savings of 5 million if they cut him. Don’t see how he’s on this team for the 23 season. 

His whole contract was such a weird, weird ordeal by our previous regime. They loved him so much to commit a big figure to an absolute unknown with little to no experience.

Still so shocked. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

His whole contract was such a weird, weird ordeal by our previous regime. They loved him so much to commit a big figure to an absolute unknown with little to no experience.

Still so shocked. 

And, AND traded away one of the best Centers in the game to do so.

I guess Hudson is pretty much done now and we were shipping him out while we could still get something for him, but the succession plan was definitely not in place.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2023/1/16/23556729/las-vegas-raiders-news-nfl-offseason-resources

a study by Pro Football Focus’ Arjun Menon found that the Raiders have the fourth-most resources to improve their roster heading into the offseason.

Menon quantified each team’s resources using the amount of draft capital, effective cap space and prorateable money each team has, placing a greater weight on each category in that order. Las Vegas currently has 11 draft picks, putting them in the 90th percentile of the study, about $11.8 million in effective cap space, per OverTheCap.com, which is in the 70th percentile, and their prorateable money is just shy of the 70th percentile.

All of that gave the Silver and Black a 90.3 composite score, behind the Houston Texans (100.0), Chicago Bears (96.8) and Seattle Seahawks (93.6). However, the study includes Derek Carr’s contract, so the Raiders could potentially leapfrog the Seahawks after getting a boost in effective cap space once Carr comes off the books.

Interesting study. Raiders have a lot to work with before they do anything with Carr.

Up to DZ to maximize these resources now and build something. Won't be perfect next season, but should expect to see a major step in the right direction. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2023/1/16/23556729/las-vegas-raiders-news-nfl-offseason-resources

Interesting study. Raiders have a lot to work with before they do anything with Carr.

Up to DZ to maximize these resources now and build something. Won't be perfect next season, but should expect to see a major step in the right direction. 

We already have our core of stud players on the roster. Just need to add the right pieces around them. I'm praying for the TB12 effect.

14 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Andre James holds a 6.9 million cap number and a savings of 5 million if they cut him. Don’t see how he’s on this team for the 23 season. 

James has a $5.5M cap hit and we'd save $3.5M if we cut him. Bolden ($2.2M savings) and Nichols ($3.2M savings) are both obvious cut candidates as well. If we cut those three and trade Derek Carr we'll start the offseason with around $73M in cap space and we can create even more space with restructures. 

On 1/15/2023 at 8:57 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

We should have tried harder regardless. He was definitely our best interior pass rusher by far.

I don’t recall him being anything special, a flash here and there maybe best of a bad bunch. I though Solomon Thomas was decent too. What has he done this year though, is it substantially more than Nichols? I’ve only seen the Seahawks once or twice and I don’t think he was starting, maybe rotating in. Genuinely curious.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t recall him being anything special, a flash here and there maybe best of a bad bunch. I though Solomon Thomas was decent too. What has he done this year though, is it substantially more than Nichols? I’ve only seen the Seahawks once or twice and I don’t think he was starting, maybe rotating in. Genuinely curious.

Agreed. Only player I can point to that I'd like to have seen back is Morrow. He did well in Chicago and the LB depth was atrocious. 

Nixon turned into a hell of a KR. I question why Bisaccia didn't have him returning kicks in Vegas only to have him in Green Bay. 

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed. Only player I can point to that I'd like to have seen back is Morrow. He did well in Chicago and the LB depth was atrocious. 

Nixon turned into a hell of a KR. I question why Bisaccia didn't have him returning kicks in Vegas only to have him in Green Bay. 

Jefferson had 5.5 sacks at DT and you didn’t want him back?

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

He had 4 more sacks than Nichols and 40–50 pressures total. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 9:39 PM, NYRaider said:

Our opponents for next season… 

Home: Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Patriots, Jets, Packers, Vikings, Steelers, Giants 

Away: Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Bears, Lions, Dolphins, Bills, Colts 

Pretty favorable schedule, we’ll have 12 games in domes and only 4/17 games are in cold weather cities. (Denver, KC, Buffalo, and Chicago)

Should keep DC one more season