Week 18: San Francisco 49ers vs Arizona Cardinals

J-ALL-DAY

Ideally this is a controlling win where we can rest a lot of our key players in the 2nd half

In particular, would like to see Josh Johnson, TDP, Kroft, Gray, McKivitz or Moore, Jackson, Burks, Womack etc get some reps in the 2nd half

So Justin Fields isn't playing, that likely means Vikings beat the Bears. 13-4 for Vikings

Giants likely will play their starters a series or two then make way for the backups. If Hurts is playing this likely is an easy win for the Eagles. If Minshew is playing there's still a shot

I guess we likely end up at the 2 seed and face the Packers which is my least favourite matchup in the NFC smh 

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Ideally this is a controlling win where we can rest a lot of our key players in the 2nd half

In particular, would like to see Josh Johnson, TDP, Kroft, Gray, McKivitz or Moore, Jackson, Burks, Womack etc get some reps in the 2nd half

So Justin Fields isn't playing, that likely means Vikings beat the Bears. 13-4 for Vikings

Giants likely will play their starters a series or two then make way for the backups. If Hurts is playing this likely is an easy win for the Eagles. If Minshew is playing there's still a shot

I guess we likely end up at the 2 seed and face the Packers which is my least favourite matchup in the NFC smh 

Well how about just resting all the starters this week to drop to the #3 seed and face the Giants instead of the Packers. Eagles are winning & Vikings are most likely winning so might as well take #3 b/c I want nothing to do with the Packers!

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Dance Dancing GIF by The .GIFYS

Seems like hopkins has a case of Mooney-Ward-itis 

I really think we should sit Mooney Ward this week. Lenior's ball skills are being exposed and we need to see what we have behind him. Give Ambry Thomas and the jackrabbit a shot to prove their worth. I know a lot gets settled in practice, but Ambry thrived in real game action last year and I would like to see him get another shot.

CMC needs to be inactive. Greenlaw should be too. 

If the eagles get up big on NYG, then more guys should get pulled. If NYG pulls their starters, then we probably should too. 

Ironically, it may actually be best if the niners lose this game. Being the 3 seed and playing the giants is probably better than playing the packers or lions. I would rather play Seattle over the giants, but I think the packers make it. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I really think we should sit Mooney Ward this week. Lenior's ball skills are being exposed and we need to see what we have behind him. Give Ambry Thomas and the jackrabbit a shot to prove their worth. I know a lot gets settled in practice, but Ambry thrived in real game action last year and I would like to see him get another shot.

If the eagles get up big on NYG, then more guys should get pulled. If NYG pulls their starters, then we probably should too. 

Ironically, it may actually be best if the niners lose this game. Being the 3 seed and playing the giants is probably better than playing the packers or lions. I would rather play Seattle over the giants, but I think the packers make it. 

We won't do this. We may pull them at half if we are in control, but I'd be willing to wager that dropping down to the 3 seed is not even remotely in Shanny's eyesight. I think he wants the 2 seed. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

We won't do this. We may pull them at half if we are in control, but I'd be willing to wager that dropping down to the 3 seed is not even remotely in Shanny's eyesight. I think he wants the 2 seed. 

I can understand that. The eagles are very vulnerable, and they could be one and done even if Hurts comes back. In that case we would take over HFA. 

I really think we can sit a few guys and still beat this garbage cardinals team. Jordan Mason needs to get his opportunity to be more than a change of pace guy. EM should be back for the playoffs so there really is no reason not to ride JM this week. 

Lets get some of these backups in at positions like S, LB, and WR. Danny Gray should get some work in this game. Lets use this as a tune up game. 

• Like 2

I was worried that the Bears game would cost us a shot at the playoffs. Instead, it probably cost us a chance at the #1 seed. Brutal

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/04/jalen-hurts-officially-limited-in-wednesdays-practice/

The Eagles list quarterback Jalen Hurts as limited in Wednesday’s practice, the third consecutive limited practice he has had. He missed the past two games with his right shoulder injury, and the Eagles lost both games.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Hurts took first-team reps in the walkthrough. So, despite Nick Sirianni not revealing anything about Hurts’ availability for Sunday, it appears the quarterback is moving closer to a return.

Looks like Hurts will return Week 18

Edited by 49ersfan

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Absolutely right. Kittle said it well a few weeks ago. Home playoff games are best and avoid late season travel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The fear of playing the Packers is a bit....weird? Especially at home? I just don't see it.

Anyways, get the #2 seed and potentially not have to travel until the SB. Get Mitchell, Givens, Deebo etc healthy and then see what this team can do. 

I think any time you play a former MVP QB there will be a bit of fear in the fan base. We’ve had the Packers numbers in the playoffs in the 2000s though, and I don’t feel like they’re a strong matchup  against us.

Part of me wants to play them because my mom and sister are both Packers fans lol, but you never count out a QB like Rodgers. 

I think if we do end up playing them again then Rodgers will be under pressure all game long like we’ve seen in the past and we come out on top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The fear of playing the Packers is a bit....weird? Especially at home? I just don't see it.

Anyways, get the #2 seed and potentially not have to travel until the SB. Get Mitchell, Givens, Deebo etc healthy and then see what this team can do. 

Because the difference between them now and the beginning of the season is pretty sizeable. Out of the Giants, Lions, Seahawks, Packers, Green Bay is probably the toughest out. Aaron Rodgers is still Aaron Rodgers and while he has struggled against the 49ers (especially in SF), Goff has a long and horrible history against SF, Geno has not been good this year at all against SF (the offense simply looks outmatched), and Daniel Jones has the least amount to work with around him. Their defense has a level that the Lions and Seahawks simply can't match and the passing offense has gotten better, but still not great. Christian Watson taking a step forward has been big for them to open it up a little more. It's still not a great offense, but better than it was and the defense is playing considerably better, particularly against the pass (you can still run on them and Shanny will certainly do just that). 

The niners should beat any team they play in round one, but a packers win would be the least surprising upset of the 4. I don't know that anyone should be "afraid", but it does kind of suck that it's likely them in the 2-7 matchup 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

Because the difference between them now and the beginning of the season is pretty sizeable. Out of the Giants, Lions, Seahawks, Packers, Green Bay is probably the toughest out. Aaron Rodgers is still Aaron Rodgers and while he has struggled against the 49ers (especially in SF), Goff has a long and horrible history against SF, Geno has not been good this year at all, and Daniel Jones has the least amount to work with around him. Their defense has a level that the Lions and Seahawks simply can't match and the passing offense has gotten better, but still not great. Christian Watson taking a step forward has been big for them to open it up a little more. It's still not a great offense, but better than it was and the defense is playing considerably better, particularly against the pass (you can still run on them and Shanny will certainly do just that). 

The niners should beat any team they play in round one, but a packers win would be the least surprising upset of the 4. I don't know that anyone should be "afraid", but it does kind of suck that it's likely them in the 2-7 matchup 

I mean they looked great against the Vikings but overall they have just been okay. They aren't on the level of the Niners. Only the Cowboys and Eagles can match the talent or come close to matching the talent. I don't see how they will be able to stop our run game and we will be able to contain their offense as we often do when healthy. Are they good against the pass? Absolutely, but they are not good at stopping the run and Deebo/Mitchell will be returning soon. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean they looked great against the Vikings but overall they have just been okay. They aren't on the level of the Niners. Only the Cowboys and Eagles can match the talent or come close to matching the talent. I don't see how they will be able to stop our run game and we will be able to contain their offense as we often do when healthy. Are they good against the pass? Absolutely, but they are not good at stopping the run and Deebo/Mitchell will be returning soon. 

I would expect in the first round, that we open as 6.5 favorites against the Packers, which is pretty large. If we played the game ten times, I think they'd win maybe 3 times? I'm not afraid, but I'm more nervous playing them than any of the other three.

• Like 2

The Giants with the way Jones runs the ball and how good they are in close games would actually be a super annoying game. 

I hope it rains on Sunday because we need to see how Purdy plays in those conditions as the playoffs is likely going to be similar. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

I would like Womack to get some additional playtime due to Lenoir’s suspect cover skills. 

• Like 1