Broncos requested and received permission to interview Sean Payton

TheRealMcCoy

On 1/8/2023 at 4:35 AM, SteelKing728 said:

They own Miami's first after the Bradley Chubb trade.

Just being technical here but the Broncos get the 49ers pick (almost a 2nd rounder) that Miami previously traded for. Even still, would be a poor trade for the broncos as they don't have another pick until the start of the 3rd

21 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

That pick would go to the saints for sean payton though.

But wouldn't that be true for almost any team? If a team has to trade a first round pick for Payton his team won't have a first round pick, whether that is the broncos or someone else.

14 minutes ago, sportcourt7 said:

But wouldn't that be true for almost any team? If a team has to trade a first round pick for Payton his team won't have a first round pick, whether that is the broncos or someone else.

True I imagine the saints will gouge any team that wants him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

True I imagine the saints will gouge any team that wants him.

As long as they don't drag it out expecting ridiculous compensation. No reason they shouldn't still fleece an organization this year. 

Now if they go straight stupid, holding out for more and turn this venture into a 2 team race, all bets are off. 

Trade that pick as soon as possible once the bidding war begins.  

42 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Payton would drive his price up for $$$? 

Makes more sense for him to try to save his team some value in a trade.

Payton left NO after the butcher's bill finally came due.   I'm not sure Payton is in it for anyone but himself.   Now, of course he stands to benefit from lowering his draft pick price to the team he's joining, so sure...but otherwise everything says Payton is going to be as mercenary about $ & control for his benefit alone.

The first thing you need to know about Sean Payton is that he’s a narcissist. But yeah…dude is a HOF caliber coach and among the great offensive minds of all time. You add him to one of these QBs like Murray, Bryce Young, and Russell Wilson? I can guarantee that they get their best possible chance for success. 

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Payton left NO after the butcher's bill finally came due.   I'm not sure Payton is in it for anyone but himself.   Now, of course he stands to benefit from lowering his draft pick price to the team he's joining, so sure...but otherwise everything says Payton is going to be as mercenary about $ & control for his benefit alone.

Why do people think Payton has a say in draft pick compensation? He doesn't. He's at the mercy of the Saints FO. Not the other way around. 

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why do people think Payton has a say in draft pick compensation? He doesn't. He's at the mercy of the Saints FO. Not the other way around. 

If he becomes the de facto GM on the other team in principle, he then has a say from the other side as the last hurdle to get this done.    But given the deal can’t happen without the Saints agreement - yes, he’s at their mercy.   My point is he won’t take any position that hurts himself more than it hurts the new team regardless.  

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If he becomes the de facto GM on the other team in principle, he then has a say from the other side as the last hurdle to get this done.    But given the deal can’t happen without the Saints agreement - yes, he’s at their mercy.   My point is he won’t take any position that hurts himself more than it hurts the new team regardless.  

Payton is going to be the highest paid HC in the NFL, he's to Egotistical not to demand that. 

I just hope the Saints don't cower, stand strong with whatever compensation they deem fit. Either the Organization pays the piper or Sean sits another year. Oh well. Payton knew exactly what he was doing when he retired and it wasn't about taking a sabbatical. 

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Payton is going to be the highest paid HC in the NFL, he's to Egotistical not to demand that. 

I just hope the Saints don't cower, stand strong with whatever compensation they deem fit. Either the Organization pays the piper or Sean sits another year. Oh well. Payton knew exactly what he was doing when he retired and it wasn't about taking a sabbatical. 

FWIW if the org gets too greedy - the flip side is they don’t get draft picks next year that can help them too.   So there is a flip side.   The current GM / coaches won’t care the org benefits if it doesn’t help them.  It becomes a lose - lose vs win - win scenario.  

I say the above as someone who wants zero part of Payton with any significant pick package.  So it’s not projecting wishful thinking.   Just there are downsides to being too greedy.   Recognizing the leverage is still titled to NO side.  It’s just not quite all NO. 

A future 1st from LAR / ARI plus some other comp would be my guess.  

Edited by Broncofan