Broncos requested and received permission to interview Sean Payton

TheRealMcCoy

7 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Makes sense for the Broncos to go all in on Sean Payton. They have a solid roster, but invested everything in Russell Wilson. If any available coach can get the most out of Wilson at this point in his career, it’s Sean Payton.

It seems the Broncos are stuck with a massive dead cap hit with Wilson the next few years, so why not swing for the fences with Sean Payton. I could see them sending the Saints several high draft picks over the next couple years because of this Wilson situation. 

Except it doesn't. Broncos biggest asset is George Paton who has, for his broncos history, 2 drafts that are A to A+. Giving up even more assets in this area will all but guarantee George is fired within 2023. I love me some Sean Payton but he's not playing 3 OL positions that the broncos need to draft this year

9 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Except it doesn't. Broncos biggest asset is George Paton who has, for his broncos history, 2 drafts that are A to A+. Giving up even more assets in this area will all but guarantee George is fired within 2023. I love me some Sean Payton but he's not playing 3 OL positions that the broncos need to draft this year

Would you agree though that unless the Broncos get lucky as hell or Wilson pans out, they have no shot at a title in the next 3 or so years?

I agree with you that I don't know how good of a move it would be to trade whatever high picks they do have for Payton. However if you think that the Wilson contract has you caught up for some years and that you can't win a title unless you maximize to the best of your ability his talent (or again getting very lucky)? Then I think it is worth making the trade for the best proven offensive mind on the market.  I think it would be worth it.  Broncos are going nowhere otherwise.  Either they strike gold in the draft or they are left with either a bad QB or a bad cap hit for the next few years.  I'm not writing Russ off completely, but the next coach matters. Payton would be an encouraging hire.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Would you agree though that unless the Broncos get lucky as hell or Wilson pans out, they have no shot at a title in the next 3 or so years?

I agree with you that I don't know how good of a move it would be to trade whatever high picks they do have for Payton. However if you think that the Wilson contract has you caught up for some years and that you can't win a title unless you maximize to the best of your ability his talent (or again getting very lucky)? Then I think it is worth making the trade for the best proven offensive mind on the market.  I think it would be worth it.  Broncos are going nowhere otherwise.  Either they strike gold in the draft or they are left with either a bad QB or a bad cap hit for the next few years.  I'm not writing Russ off completely, but the next coach matters. Payton would be an encouraging hire.

Tbh I think even if russ pans out to be...let's say a top12 qb with sean (after giving up 2 first round draft picks), broncos still ain't winning a sb in 3 years. 

Conversely, broncos own their own pick next year so let's say they go with Dan Quinn for no picks lost (and beef up offensive line this year). Let's also say they suck again with him and get a top 3 pick...the 2024 draft has some good young QBs. Broncos can draft one high and either play em behind russ for a year or straight cut russ for a massive cap hit in 2024 and be in for a quick rebuild assuming the young qb pans out. 

That imo has a significantly better chance of getting the Broncos to the sb

Edited by Dbrog24

4 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Not sure that the Broncos job is as unattractive as everyone thinks for a guy like Payton. Wouldn't the Broncos have had a really great record this year if they could've just scored 20 points a game in regulation? I'm sure Payton likes his chances of turning the offense around both because of his ego and because of his resume saying exactly that. 

I can only hope that our defense can repeat that type of season. It is difficult to carry that kind of play consistently from one year to the next.

5 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Without that horrible Wilson contract sure, the draft would be a viable option to correct things. In their current position, they are absolutely screwed by Wilson’s cap figure unless they can bring in a coach that can salvage the Wilson situation the next few years. The Broncos clearly understand this as they’ve already essentially agreed to whatever the Saints compensation demands are for Payton (at least 1 first round pick).

Edited by tyler735

7 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

3 OL don’t matter if you don’t have a HC and QB. Payton is one of the few people on this planet that could fix both of those issues

On 1/8/2023 at 2:50 AM, iknowcool said:

Maybe me being an optimist but they seem to be fixable as most of their issues are related to system/continuity as opposed to talent. I know its fun for the lolz, but Im not buying into the narrative that Wilson just forgot how to play football seemingly overnight and I think people undersell how important coaching/system matters to team success. No player, I dont care how good, is capable of overcoming coaching incompetence and poor play design. Tom Brady included.

To the bigger picture, Wilson still led the NFL this year in passes 50+ yards. So when they went to his bread and butter, it is still there. Problem is the other 80% of the time they were asking him to run a short rhythm and timing offense which is clearly not his strength and after having 6 RBs get put on IR and 90% of the OL injured, they had no Running game to fall back on or take the weight off of the passing games shoulders.

The defense finished top 10 in nearly every category, many in the top 5--so thats nothing to worry about. All of that makes me believe if they can get their players back healthy, invest their assets in improving the OL and get a system from a established HC that fits the offensive personnel--they can be a dangerous team next year with a short turn around. The talent is clearly there, they just need somebody that knows what they are doing to steer the ship. Hackett wasnt that guy, Payton could be.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

Sean Payton has been very clear from the jump that roster is not his biggest concern. He wants an ownership and management team he feels he can work with, and who will give him the control he wants. He came to New Orleans when it was one of the least attractive jobs in the NFL and had no QB in place.