Should we keep Tannehill?

deeluxx3

Should we keep Tannehill?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Tannehill as our starting qb in 2023?

• Yes
    • No (cut or trade him)

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just saying... lol

What if Tannehill's limitations hinder growth of the offense?

or

Henry for that matter. 

If Tanny's washed, he's washed.  I don't think he's there yet, though, so shouldn't be an issue.  Unless you're just saying we'll be limited by how good our QB is, which is always true.  If Tanny just isn't a fit for the offensive scheme, like, at all, then you have to wonder why the team would hire such a bad fit at OC when they aren't fully committing to a rebuild.  That would just be a bad hire.

And Henry, I don't see how a very good RB would hinder an offense at all.  The only way I could see him hindering the team is monetarily.  Henry needs to remain a feature of the offense, and I don't think that's going away any time soon, but we can absolutely make good use of Henry without him being the entire offense.  Especially since he's probably already started to decline physically.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If Tanny's washed, he's washed.  I don't think he's there yet, though, so shouldn't be an issue.  Unless you're just saying we'll be limited by how good our QB is, which is always true.  If Tanny just isn't a fit for the offensive scheme, like, at all, then you have to wonder why the team would hire such a bad fit at OC when they aren't fully committing to a rebuild.  That would just be a bad hire.

And Henry, I don't see how a very good RB would hinder an offense at all.  The only way I could see him hindering the team is monetarily.  Henry needs to remain a feature of the offense, and I don't think that's going away any time soon, but we can absolutely make good use of Henry without him being the entire offense.  Especially since he's probably already started to decline physically.

Just think it's something to consider. 
Hire Kelly, very likely to keep Tannehill.
Hire someone outside the building, chances decrease.

I think the OC hire will be a good indicator of where they view Tannehill.

29 minutes ago, Daniel said:

When the very good running back has to be taken out on passing downs/3rd downs, because he’s virtually useless as a pass catcher or pass protector. 

The franchise, even back to Arthur Smith, have routinely taken Henry out in crucial moments if they have to pass. Tell me another elite back that this happens to?

Just now, Chocolateman78 said:

When the very good running back has to be taken out on passing downs/3rd downs, because he’s virtually useless as a pass catcher or pass protector. 

The franchise, even back to Arthur Smith, have routinely taken Henry out in crucial moments if they have to pass. Tell me another elite back that this happens to?

he had over 400 yards receiving this year. he’s not a great pass protector but he’s steadily improved as a receiving option out of the backfield, and could likely play more 3rd downs if we had an offensive line that didn’t need a RB in to block every single play.

also, it’s extremely easy to find elite running backs who weren’t good pass protectors. adrian peterson got a ton of flack for his struggles in pass pro.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Don't think it's possible to completely wipe it clean.

Willis for sure gonna be given a chance to show if he improved or not, Dobbs proven to be a good backup.  Tannehill might be just a necessity to keep from bottoming out. 

Sigh.....likely running it back with same group..lol

Well if so lets go draft Quentin Johnston at 11 cause we need playmaking. Burks Johnston Phillips is a perfect trio of young WRs to work with or LT and get Rice in the 2nd.. Hell LT and trade back up and snag Zay flowers cause that dude is what we really need on this team. Speed and shiftiness 

I kinda want the bears to trade Justin fields to us and watch us run for 10000000 yards haha. Idk fun off season for sure

2 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

Well if so lets go draft Quentin Johnston at 11 cause we need playmaking. Burks Johnston Phillips is a perfect trio of young WRs to work with or LT and get Rice in the 2nd.. Hell LT and trade back up and snag Zay flowers cause that dude is what we really need on this team. Speed and shiftiness 

I kinda want the bears to trade Justin fields to us and watch us run for 10000000 yards haha. Idk fun off season for sure

I would take Fields in a second. He’s gonna be good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Also something to keep in mind. We saw what Tannehill looked like without a heavy play action scheme. 
If we bring in an OC that doesn't fit that mold, are we sure Tannehill is the guy to keep?

Are we going to hire an OC that fits Tannehill or one to modernize the offense?

That was 2 dominant Tackles & 2 dogs at WR. RT BEST days are over too many holes to be addressed 

2 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

An often injured Taylor Lewan and Dennis Kelly. Dominant tackles.

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

And Lewan only started 5 games in 2020 and Tannehill was still great in 2020 when he was standing up. Pass pro was turrible in the playoffs.

Not saying we'll ever see a season like that again out of Tannehill, but we're not getting a better QB than him without a trade involved.

The topic of this thread is asking the wrong question. It's not should we keep Tannehill. It's what are our options for replacing him.

We all know we should replace him at some point in the next couple of years, he's going to be 35 soon, but is there a viable option for the upcoming season?

We should try to get a franchise QB as soon as possible, but it's just not that easy.