What if

fattlipp

Where would the franchise be right now if we traded ARod to Denver and got the haul Seattle did?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Where would the franchise be right now if we traded ARod to Denver and got the haul Seattle did?

• Better off than we are now
    • Worse off than we are now

15 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

No chance.  Love would have been under siege all year and unable to handle the defenses.  The 4 time MVP had a bad year, Love would have been a disaster.  

Better fix that OL, because if Rodgers is getting swamped in pressure with all of his experience, Love would have been crushed.  5 wins tops.

Counterpoint.

Rodgers got himself into trouble by refusing to throw to the open guy early in the play.  He tried extending stuff....again....and he just doesn't have "it" anymore to do that.

Love would have taken the easy stuff and allowed us to full a full MLF offense under center.  Which includes bootlegs that were really troubling to watch from a QB speed perspective.

Love may have struggled, but I also think that he could have thrived taking what was there.  Rodgers played a whole lot of hero ball this past season.  And it showed.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Counterpoint.

Rodgers got himself into trouble by refusing to throw to the open guy early in the play.  He tried extending stuff....again....and he just doesn't have "it" anymore to do that.

Love would have taken the easy stuff and allowed us to full a full MLF offense under center.  Which includes bootlegs that were really troubling to watch from a QB speed perspective.

Love may have struggled, but I also think that he could have thrived taking what was there.  Rodgers played a whole lot of hero ball this past season.  And it showed.  

Agree on the hero ball stuff.   Your probably right on Love taking the easy stuff, but the most nervous man in the building is MLF.  He's going to beg Rodgers to come back, because he'll then be tied to Love.  His job will likely depend on Loves performance.  Can MLF afford a 5 or 6 win season next year????

If you can't win with a 4 time MVP (drink), Jordan Love is going to save the day????  I dont think so. JMO.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree on the hero ball stuff.   Your probably right on Love taking the easy stuff, but the most nervous man in the building is MLF.  He's going to beg Rodgers to come back, because he'll then be tied to Love.  His job will likely depend on Loves performance.  Can MLF afford a 5 or 6 win season next year????

If you can't win with a 4 time MVP (drink), Jordan Love is going to save the day????  I dont think so. JMO.

It's always been a given that Love replacing Rodgers would lead to a rough season.  Barring something like 2-15, MLF would have been safe with 2022 being year 1 of the transition away from Rodgers. In my mind, a 5-12 season with Love at QB would have been preferable to the 8-9 season the team just got with Rodgers, and the team would not be burdened with the albatross of the Rodgers contract going fwd.  As it stands now, moving on from Rodgers is going to be a mess regardless of what path is taken.

To me, your mistake is assuming the pro-Love crowd views Love as some kind of savior or sure thing.  I certainly do not.  I still have no idea what he is, but I want to find out.  The pro-Rodgers crowd seems to focus on Rodgers giving the team their best chance to win games right now.  Nobody disputes that.  What I dispute is the idea that Rodgers is still a player the team should view as central to their plans.  IMO he isn't, and the FO made a bad mistake when they decided that that he is.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's always been a given that Love replacing Rodgers would lead to a rough season.  Barring something like 2-15, MLF would have been safe with 2022 being year 1 of the transition away from Rodgers. In my mind, a 5-12 season with Love at QB would have been preferable to the 8-9 season the team just got with Rodgers, and the team would not be burdened with the albatross of the Rodgers contract going fwd.  As it stands now, moving on from Rodgers is going to be a mess regardless of what path is taken.

To me, your mistake is assuming the pro-Love crowd views Love as some kind of savior or sure thing.  I certainly do not.  I still have no idea what he is, but I want to find out.  The pro-Rodgers crowd seems to focus on Rodgers giving the team their best chance to win games right now.  Nobody disputes that.  What I dispute is the idea that Rodgers is still a player the team should view as central to their plans.  IMO he isn't, and the FO made a bad mistake when they decided that that he is.

Agree with the Rodger shouldnt be  central to their future plans, but what are you transitioning to????  A big mystery who is prone to throwing interceptions???

I have confidence the Packers having seen Love for 3 years will make the right call.   Im not impressed with what I've seen from Love, but perhaps they are, they see him every day.   We'll see.

27 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree with the Rodger shouldnt be  central to their future plans, but what are you transitioning to????  A big mystery who is prone to throwing interceptions???

I have confidence the Packers having seen Love for 3 years will make the right call.   Im not impressed with what I've seen from Love, but perhaps they are, they see him every day.   We'll see.

Bottom line is that you can't pay Aaron Rodgers 50 million to perform like he did this year.  They paid him to be an MVP candidate.  He was at best a mediocre starter.  Sure, he had some injuries and was saddled with some young wideouts, but his level of play was pretty far off from expectations.  

I think we need to see Love so both he and LaFleur can be adequately judged.  We'll just be spinning our wheels if we stay with the status quo.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

This is where I am at as well.  Nothing that I have seen from Jordan Love, so far, makes me say, "oh we definitely would have won that game." So, I don't think we would have been in playoff contention this season.  Is more cap space and better draft picks better?  I mean, maybe.  But the Bears have the number 1 pick, and a ton of cap space.  Are they in a great position? 

That's a fair take, but this qas more 18-19 lazy Rodgers than the 20-21 "bug up his are MVP" version.

Love mightve cost us a couple games early but I feel like him not blowing chances with dopey sacks or hero ball probably wins us a few of the close losses.

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I your mistake is assuming the pro-Love crowd views Love as some kind of savior or sure thing.  I certainly do not.  I still have no idea what he is, but I want to find out.  The pro-Rodgers crowd seems to focus on Rodgers giving the team their best chance to win games right now.  Nobody disputes that.  What I dispute is the idea that Rodgers is still a player the team should view as central to their plans.  IMO he isn't, and the FO made a bad mistake when they decided that that he is.

Well said.

I know what we get from Rodgers. He isn't taking it seriously and being undisciplined with his mechanics, overly risk averse, and as said by others, not taking the easy layups. Rodgers can't carry a team over the hump (and arguably only did that over decade ago). 

We weren't winning the SB this year for myriad reasons but is being 8-9 and stuck with a declining Rodgers REALLY better than being 6-11 with an ascending Love and ton of draft picks OR the draft capital to grab a rookie QB and a bunch of cap room*?

* readers may feel free to pick whichever outcome they think is more likely from a Rodgers-less 2022

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

No chance.  Love would have been under siege all year and unable to handle the defenses.  The 4 time MVP had a bad year, Love would have been a disaster.  

Better fix that OL, because if Rodgers is getting swamped in pressure with all of his experience, Love would have been crushed.  5 wins tops this past year.

Love could've put up the same numbers Rodgers did.

I think we would've competed for a playoff spot. Love was there for all those 'optional' practices and just might have had better rapport with the WR room. Plus, he has some wheels.

I think LaFleur dropped the ball when Rodgers broke his thumb.  That was a golden opportunity to get an audition for Love with live action.  Get Love 3 or maybe 4 starts against:  Jets, Commanders, Bills, and maybe Lions.  Captain Hindsight tells me we lost those games anyway.  Then when Rodgers hand is healed up, you can go back to him.  And they really should have seen that Rodgers was less than full strength the week leading up to the Jets game.  But what do I know? I am just some jerk on the internet.

• Like 3

It is very alarming that of the teams the 49ers faced in the playoffs last year, only Dallas is back in, and even they failed to defend their division title (it has been a long time since the NFC East had a repeat winner). Meanwhile the 49ers themselves won the NFC West, even though recent history dictated they would miss the playoffs this year because they beat the Packers last year (like in 2014 and 2020).

Edited by pf9

Lol, I created this to be a sarcastic *** and say we told you so, should have trade ARod to Denver, see.

Never in a million years did I think people would defend keeping him was the right decision after the fact,  best or the bad is an awful place to be, even without the cap hell.

It’s not unreasonable to expect MLF to expect Rodgers to be involved in ETA’s “should” AR be back.  If MLF can’t make that happen, then I’ve lost all confidence that things will be better or that MLF has the stones to do the job.  Unless it’s in AR’s contract that he can skip all pre-season activities, then fook Gute.