What if

fattlipp

Where would the franchise be right now if we traded ARod to Denver and got the haul Seattle did?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Where would the franchise be right now if we traded ARod to Denver and got the haul Seattle did?

• Better off than we are now
    • Worse off than we are now

We wouldn't have been in contention, but we would've had better long-term prospects and maybe a young QB coming into his own. I'd say better just for that.

It would've been a mixed bag, and I can see people say we'd have been worse off just going with the end results- think of the '08 Season when the team went 6-10 in AR's first season as a starter for a proper reference.

2 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

We wouldn't have been in contention, but we would've had better long-term prospects and maybe a young QB coming into his own. I'd say better just for that.

It would've been a mixed bag, and I can see people say we'd have been worse off just going with the end results- think of the '08 Season when the team went 6-10 in AR's first season as a starter for a proper reference.

On the contrary, we would have defended our division title instead of letting a Vikings team that scored 3 less than their opponents despite winning 13 games win it.

We would be better off, mostly due to the added picks and the refreshing youth movement which I do feel is needed in the locker room and which Rodgers kind of ices.  

It doesn't feel possible that we could have had a much worse record than 8-9. And who knows, there may have been a game or two where a more deliberately run MLF offense may have netted us the win. This year "Aaron Rodgers" did not carry us to a 8-9 record. Any average QB could have done what he did. Not reflecting on any other prior seasons where he may have carried us more, but THIS SEASON, he did not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

This is where I am at as well.  Nothing that I have seen from Jordan Love, so far, makes me say, "oh we definitely would have won that game." So, I don't think we would have been in playoff contention this season.  Is more cap space and better draft picks better?  I mean, maybe.  But the Bears have the number 1 pick, and a ton of cap space.  Are they in a great position? 

• Like 1

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

This is where I am at as well.  Nothing that I have seen from Jordan Love, so far, makes me say, "oh we definitely would have won that game." So, I don't think we would have been in playoff contention this season.  Is more cap space and better draft picks better?  I mean, maybe.  But the Bears have the number 1 pick, and a ton of cap space.  Are they in a great position? 

They are not, but they are the Bears, and they are in the clutches of a Lolcow family. 'Better off' is their Wet Dream.

That said, Cap Space and better draft picks can only go so far. Without good stable leadership at the helm, that just equates to yearly 'better' draft picks and cap space due to FAs not wanting to touch us with a ten-foot-pole. We just haven't proven fully whether our leadership is truly inadequate for the task, and we won't know until #12 hangs em up.

• Like 1

We'd be in the playoffs.

You go back and watch how many plays break open across the middle in this offense only to be entirely ignored by Rodgers is just...

His final pass as a Packer was an interception when he had Lazard breaking very extremely wide open across the middle.

He has the greatest ability of all time, yet he handicapped himself by removing the middle of the field.

• Like 2

So, I was against trading Rodgers last year.  Only from the perspective of it never being done before (trading a reigning MVP).

But, if we are playing in never-never land.  Yes.  He should have been traded.

Love showed in the Eagles game that his arm is there.  Footwork is there.  Leadership is there.  And the guys did not quit when he went in there.

We would have finished with around this same record, maybe one game better, but we would be a team on the rise.

Now?  We aren't on the rise.  We also aren't in full rebuild.  We are in NFL purgatory.  We have a QB that can't get over the hump and costs a lot of money.  Vegas just sent theirs homes.  Atlanta did that earlier.  Hopefully Rodgers flat out retires.

We’d be better off because for a similar outcome this season we’d already be 1 year into the rebuild, and well on our way to clearing the dead cap Rodgers will leave.

Edit:  I should add that if this is a wake up call for Rodgers, and he decides he doesn’t want to go out this way and commits to next season the team could be relevant again.

Reminds me of the end of the 2006 season when we didn’t know if Favre would be back after 8-8 record, the went 13-3 for the second seed in 2007.

The foundation is there if 12 decides to commit to it.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Obviously the packers brass screwed up.  They should have dealt Rodgers to Denver for the lode.  Instead they doubled down and paid the guy 50 mil per and missed the playoffs.  They should have started Love all season.  We'd actually know whether Love can play game, and also whether LaFleur can coach without #12.  Now we are at another crossroads and I've got a feeling they will bow to Rodgers once again and bring him back.  Love will be wasted for yet another season, or worse yet they will trade him and we will have to watch him be successful with some other franchise.  What a mess!

34 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Could Love have led this team to 8-9? I think so, but I'm just another optimistic Packers fan.

No chance.  Love would have been under siege all year and unable to handle the defenses.  The 4 time MVP had a bad year, Love would have been a disaster.  

Better fix that OL, because if Rodgers is getting swamped in pressure with all of his experience, Love would have been crushed.  5 wins tops this past year.

Edited by NFLGURU