2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Carolina is a good situation. Some good foundational pieces, lots of cap space and picks. Also a weak division to play in at least initially

Risky move for Ben Johnson. Have 1 bad year and your stock tanks 

But their QB situation is not good right now,who can be very important for a coach.I think this is a good gamble by him

10 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Carolina is a good situation. Some good foundational pieces, lots of cap space and picks. Also a weak division to play in at least initially

Nah, he's tied himself to Goff. Worst case scenario the offense tanks and Goff is blamed. 

28 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

This is always a good decision for a good young coach to wait the ideal situation to become a head coach

How often does the “ideal situation” happen lol. 

The jobs are usually available for a reason 

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

They're projected $7.6M over the cap right now.

Not much beyond 2023, though. They can create room, but they’re not like the Bears with $92M or Giants/Falcons with $50M+.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

Ben Johnson probably would have liked the Panthers position, with his family ties to the area. I think the team interviewing coordinators without a head coach might have played a factor in his decision. Lions are building something special. A playoff win in Detroit would put everyone on the team in a better light. I'm so freaking excited. 

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Just nakes you wonder just how GD poor, he is at interviewing?

EB: "I was Adrian Peterson's running back coach."

Interviewer: "Can you give us some examples of how you help with Patrick Mahomes' development?"

Interviewer: "Well, then why did Clyde Edwards-Helaire's development stagnate during your tenure at Kansas City."

EB: "You don't seem to understand.  I. was. Adiran. Peterson's. running. back. coach."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

This is always a good decision for a good young coach to wait the ideal situation to become a head coach

At the very least, to put this in context, for an offensive-minded coach who has found success with a limited QB (I'm choosing to remain neutral on an assessment with Goff here; he wasn't without fault this season, but Johnson did a good job papering over a number of his cracks) to at minimum wait for a situation wherein the team he's going to either has a player on the roster established or believed-capable of being a franchise QB or are in a position to acquire said franchise QB.  For the moment, that isn't Carolina - and I wouldn't blame Johnson for wanting to hitch his wagon to Sam Darnold or Matt Corral.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

You’re never in a good situation if you don’t have a QB in place.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Interviewer: "Can you give us some examples of how you help with Patrick Mahomes' development?"

Interviewer: "Well, then why did Clyde Edwards-Helaire's development stagnate during your tenure at Kansas City."

EB: "You don't seem to understand.  I. was. Adiran. Peterson's. running. back. coach."

Eric DeCosta looking to bring back his former MVP running back:

youre-hired.gif

• Like 1