2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

Just now, .Buzz said:

Dodds has turned down so many opportunities. We’ll see if that changes.

I have the feeling that the entire Chris Ballard ship is starting to teeter, and could capsize if they don’t successfully trade up to get their QB - which in itself could mean a rough future with no picks in the chamber to build around the next QB.

The Texans might be dysfunctional, but it’s a GMs dream job - flush with picks, cap space and no players requiring long term contracts. You can build from the ground up.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I have the feeling that the entire Chris Ballard ship is starting to teeter, and could capsize if they don’t successfully trade up to get their QB - which in itself could mean a rough future with no picks in the chamber to build around the next QB.

The Texans might be dysfunctional, but it’s a GMs dream job - flush with picks, cap space and no players requiring long term contracts. You can build from the ground up.

Tbh think he’d likely have a good shot at being an internal hire if they fired Ballard. 

Ballard had some question marks popping up last year and he seemed to hold firm.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Tbh think he’d likely have a good shot at being an internal hire if they fired Ballard. 

Ballard had some question marks popping up last year and he seemed to hold firm.

Do you really want to hire a product of the tree you just cut down? I’d surmise that a termination would mean a full purge and philosophy change would be on the menu…

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Do you really want to hire a product of the tree you just cut down? I’d surmise that a termination would mean a full purge and philosophy change would be on the menu…

Not sure just because Dodds has worked under Ballard means he’d run it the same way or have the same philosophy on how to build it.

Who knows, but he’s continued turning things down. Think it’d need to be a damn near perfect situation for him to walk. Guess we’ll see if Houston would be that in his eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

An insider here in Houston said Jonathan Gannon is the leader - and the rumor on that is he'll look to chat with Indy personnel guy Ed Dodds as a potential GM (which would effectively sack Nick Caserio).

He (Gannon) interviewed multiple times last year with Houston, right? 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:26 AM, ChazStandard said:

If I’m Lafleur I’m waiting until Stafford’s return is confirmed before signing that contract. Rams O might be messy next year.

Schefter's already confirmed that the Rams plan on picking up his option, which puts him on the books for the next 3 seasons (at least; the out-option potentially comes in 2026)

With Kyler out, Watt retiring, D-Hop traded etc I would assume the Cards are picking high again next year so future 1sts are off limits.  I do not see the Saints turning down two 2nd’s (including #34 this year) if Payton wants AZ.   Hats off to the Saints if they turn that down for a retired coach.  Maybe they wait for Dallas. 

17 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

With Kyler out, Watt retiring, D-Hop traded etc I would assume the Cards are picking high again next year so future 1sts are off limits.  I do not see the Saints turning down two 2nd’s (including #34 this year) if Payton wants AZ.   Hats off to the Saints if they turn that down for a retired coach.  Maybe they wait for Dallas. 

Pass. Future 1st at minimum. Too much interest in Payton right now to settle for 2nd round picks.