2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

47 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

none of those were the fault of Payton. People remember the Beast quake like it was a Marshall Lynch techmo Super Bowl moment…when in reality the Saints were desperately trying to strip the ball from him the entire play. The Saints lose that game if they don’t strip Marshawn Lynch in that play. The Minnesota miracle was the biggest individual choke in NFL history…not exactly sure that one is Payton’s fault…this one is 100% on Marcus Williams. The no-call is among the biggest blunders in NFL officiating history…again, not exactly sure how that’s Payton’s fault. You’ve illustrated three excellent reasons why Payton got burnt out and quit football…three very good examples of how difficult life has been for Saints fans the past decade in spite of some success…but none of that was Payton’s fault. 

And in 2011,if their defense don't collapse at the end vs Alex Smith,I believe they would been super bowl champion that year

9 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

none of those were the fault of Payton. People remember the Beast quake like it was a Marshall Lynch techmo Super Bowl moment…when in reality the Saints were desperately trying to strip the ball from him the entire play. The Saints lose that game if they don’t strip Marshawn Lynch in that play. The Minnesota miracle was the biggest individual choke in NFL history…not exactly sure that one is Payton’s fault…this one is 100% on Marcus Williams. The no-call is among the biggest blunders in NFL officiating history…again, not exactly sure how that’s Payton’s fault. You’ve illustrated three excellent reasons why Payton got burnt out and quit football…three very good examples of how difficult life has been for Saints fans the past decade in spite of some success…but none of that was Payton’s fault. 

I never insinuated that they were "Payton's fault". Just giving examples of some of the crazy ish that's happened under his tenure. You can toss in the let's not cover Vernon Davis game against the Niners as well. Not directly his fault, but more heartbreak during his Saints days.

• Like 1

Probably my top candidate, but I like Steichen too.

My main concern, as it is for most young HCs, is who will he choose to fill out his staff?  DC being the most important.  I'd prefer someone on the younger side.  If Evero isn't retained by the new staff in Denver, then it would be awesome if we could bring him in.  Doesn't look like there will be too much competition for defensive coordinators.  

Looks like they did deny the Falcons a request to interview him for DC (Panthers are interviewing him for HC).  So looks like they expect him to stay with a new staff.  I know Harbaugh has ties to him.

Edited by iknowcool

17 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

My main concern, as it is for most young HCs, is who will he choose to fill out his staff?  DC being the most important.  I'd prefer someone on the younger side.  If Evero isn't retained by the new staff in Denver, then it would be awesome if we could bring him in.  Doesn't look like there will be too much competition for defensive coordinators.  

Looks like they did deny the Falcons a request to interview him for DC (Panthers are interviewing him for HC).  So looks like they expect him to stay with a new staff.  I know Harbaugh has ties to him.

Ben Johnson kicks babies, is he your top candidate now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

My biggest concern with Steichen is he reminds me a bit of Chud. I feel like he might think he's smarter than the league at large and capable of "fixing" any QB, and we'll wind up with Anthony Richardson and spend the next 3-5 years watching us try to turn him into something resembling an NFL QB and likely failing magnificently.

I want Johnson. Badly.

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

An insider here in Houston said Jonathan Gannon is the leader - and the rumor on that is he'll look to chat with Indy personnel guy Ed Dodds as a potential GM (which would effectively sack Nick Caserio).

Dodds has turned down so many opportunities. We’ll see if that changes.