2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

LOL the picks would be sweet, no doubt.   I'm sure that factors into wishing him well to other orgs lol.

(FWIW, I'm in same boat next year with Evero provided he stays with us this year).

Well, part of why I want it to happen is hoping that if a team hires Raheem, we get the picks and Evero returns home.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If ppl wondered how much quid pro quo happens between teams need for PR & reporters, look no further.  Politics didn’t get Hackett fired - that’s a lot of org water Breer’s carrying.  😳

I love how it’s become “poor wittle Hackett” all of sudden.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I love how it’s become “poor wittle Hackett” all of sudden.

It shouldn't be understated that Russell Wilson has his problems.   Hackett wasn't the only problem on O - the OL was bottom 5-10 with the injuries (after Bolles went down and both our G's missed 3-4 games each in staggered succession, it was a gong show), and Wilson cost us at least 2 games with his play, and wasn't a good fit in the pocket-style reads Hackett envisioned.

But the dude was so overmatched, even as an OC, not just game management as a HC.   From play-calling, game-prep, and analyzing the O's problems (saying RZ O needed to be better the one game at halftime when we had 0 RZ opps was the alltime classic; same with 3rd down O when our 1st/2nd down O was literally worst in league).   Terrible personnel decisions (MG3 over Javonte Williams in RZ/GL, not deploying Jerry Jeudy as anything but static, etc.).  It goes on and on.

And it matters when ppl realize that in GB, Lafleur & A-Rod were ahead of him on gameday.   But even before gameday - our O plans sucked hard.   It would be one thing if he was the mastermind in GB - then DEN's 2022 looks like an aberration.  But when you look at GB understanding he was the #3, and then BUF/JAX - where the one successful year was with the league's #1 DST that had 55 sacks and 31 takeaways, leading to the most O-friendly environment around (short fields, playing with leads), and a 4th place schedule - that's a lot of context.   When they couldn't replicate in 2018, and it led to his firing.....well, if A-Rod joins the Jets, it could work - but even with him, and definitely without him, man, I wouldn't wish Hackett on any fanbase.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Side note - while Hackett is the talking point for OC's from yesterday - it shouldn't be overlooked that there are a lot of iffy, recycled-choice OC's lurking around.   From Darrell Bevell (who did go to MIA, so I suppose he could have learned a trick or 2 from McDaniel, but otherwise...man), Pat Shurmur (the guy who literally spent a practice working on incompletions <downing the ball>), and Anthony Lynn (who established a very good run game with Rex Ryan, and basically struggled hard since going to the Chargers, and then with DET)...man, talk about uninspiring.  

At this point, other than a few guys, you're probably better off going with an untested guy who's learned under solid O minds.   There's risk for sure, but the established names.   Ironically, one of the guys fired (Scott Turner) is probably a top hire right now - when you look at the WAS production for the QB talent given, and watching the game calling, he seems more like the fall guy.   WAS hiring a guy like Bevell or Shurmur to replace Turner...man, don't see that ending well (although going with Sam Howell is far more likely to succeed than Taylor Heinecke / Carson Wentz, but it's tough with a new system next year).

Edited by Broncofan