Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

13 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You just did the same mental exercise and realized I was right didn't you.

Yeah it wasn’t as debatable as I wanted. In this event, trade dead cap doesn’t count in figuring. 
-Falcons Ridder yeah. Ridder is a backup at best

-Cowboys Dak maybe, leaning towards no. 
-Cardinals Kyler maybe. Fields is more mature, less injured, more of a leader. 
-Lions Goff yeah. I’m higher on Goff than some, at least higher on how the lions perceive him. But they 100% take this trade imo, especially after fields ran for 800 on them 

-Panthers Dalton yes lol 

-Giants Daniel Jones maybe. The $45/year they just gave shows tremendous faith and Jones has shown more potential and ability in the passing game than fields and is competent himself in running. Leaning towards no on this one. 
-Rams Stafford yeah. They’re clearly on the verge of tanking and rebuilding. A young fields would figure in. 
-Packers Love yeah. Most packers fans hate on fields cause they’re scared of what he has to offer. 
-Saints Carr maybe. Not sure if they’d prefer fields over him 
-Eagles Hurts no

-49ers Purdy yes. Even if you take away Purdy’s health uncertainty right now, the chance to rectify taking Lance over Fields only makes sense

-Vikings Cousins yes. Cousins is now in his last year as a Viking and they’re going to need to address the spot 

-Bucs Mayfield yes. 
-Commanders Howell yes. That defense with a QB of Fields caliber in regards to ability and leadership is scary. 
-Seahawks Smith yeah. Smith had a hell of a comeback but his window of high level play isn’t going to last long. 

So for me 10-12 out of 15 would 

33 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Bears website ran a poll asking if Jay Cutler was the best qb in bears history and the result was a resounding no. Who’s the best qb to these guys then? Cade McNown?

Sid Luckman.  

Then McMahon.

Then Cutler.

Jim McMahon has the super bowl win but in no way was the reason for the win.  In his career, he never eclipsed 15 passing TDs or even hit 2500 passing yards, not to mention he never started a whole a season.  I get that being part of the 85 bears team sort of elevates people's view of him, but there's no way in hell I'm taking McMahon over Cutler.  Luckman is a HOFer, but played so long ago that its a very hard comparison to make, I don't think you can say one is better than the other because its impossible to fully account for the differences in the era of football that was played.  Of QBs in the Super Bowl era, Cutler is undoubtedly the best the Bears have had IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

And Luckman was good for his time, but he played before the NFL-AFL merger and super bowl era so I don’t see how he’d even qualify 

If you are taking a QB to play in 2023 in their prime (not named Fields) it would be Cutler of course.   

But IMO you judge players by the era they played in.

Luckman is by far best Bear QB ever, arguably best Bear ever.   He had 4 titles and played for 12 years.  5x First Team All pro.  Etc. Etc.  

McMahon, but for injuries, being a head case and coaching would have been way better.   Charles Martin ruined his career with biggest cheap shot in NFL history.  

McMahon went 36-4 as the starting QB from 1984 to 1988 with a Super Bowl win.   He had a 25 game winning streak. That is pretty good.   Not a joke.

When he wasn't playing those seasons Bears and it was back up, Bears were way worse.   Those were first 4 seasons I watched of Bears.   This was after Walter Payton's prime.   

He just couldn't stay healthy through a full season.   He played hurt a lot.   

Remember in that era they could destroy QBs and hit with crown of helmet and they did.  McMahon started out crazy and then got a million concussions.

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

McMahon went 36-4 as the starting QB from 1984 to 1988 with a Super Bowl win.   He had a 25 game winning streak. That is pretty good.   Not a joke.

He literally had the best defense of all time and I would argue the best RB of all time on his team, and a run heavy era.  He literally just had to NOT be the reason they lose on that team.  

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

He literally had the best defense of all time and I would argue the best RB of all time on his team, and a run heavy era.  He literally just had to NOT be the reason they lose on that team.  

And he was injured most of that span anyway lmao. He very much was one of the most significant reasons the bears didn’t win more than one 

16 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Thats not entirely true Tank. Yes the 85 bears were the best defense ever. But McMahon was the leader and lighting rod of that offense. It was never the same without him. And imo if he would not have gotten hurt early in 86 and 87 and if he would have drank a hellava lot less ,the Bears would own 2 more SB trophies. BTW the Bears defense was better statistically in 86 than 85.

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

He also never won 25 games in a row, stuff like this is why he gets overrated.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McMaJi00/gamelog/