Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

Big Cat’s schtick as a dumb fan I feel like makes him a good interviewer (partially from pft commenter balancing him out like Abbott and Costello) and makes guests more comfortable. Gives you a different take on the people that arent quite as guarded as they would be talking to an actual football guy. This didn’t give any extra intel on what we already know about future trades or intentions, but gives a more inside scoop on who they are and how they do things. Also commented on the Claypool trade and showed the disparity between guys that do it for a living and idiot fans that think he sucks cause he didn’t have 1k yards last year. Extenuating factors like lack of familiarity with playbook, players, etc affecting everything. I am a known detractor of Claypool but it is for what I saw and didn’t like when he was succeeding in PIT, not the stuff I observed this year. I’ll happily be wrong about him though. 

50 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Big Cat’s schtick as a dumb fan I feel like makes him a good interviewer (partially from pft commenter balancing him out like Abbott and Costello) and makes guests more comfortable. Gives you a different take on the people that arent quite as guarded as they would be talking to an actual football guy. This didn’t give any extra intel on what we already know about future trades or intentions, but gives a more inside scoop on who they are and how they do things. Also commented on the Claypool trade and showed the disparity between guys that do it for a living and idiot fans that think he sucks cause he didn’t have 1k yards last year. Extenuating factors like lack of familiarity with playbook, players, etc affecting everything. I am a known detractor of Claypool but it is for what I saw and didn’t like when he was succeeding in PIT, not the stuff I observed this year. I’ll happily be wrong about him though. 

He asked what was the #1 trait the team looks for in players and Poles immediately said "Yeah its passion for the game."  Might be just a generic answer, but sounds like if the rumors about Jalen Carter not really being that passionate about playing football might be as much of a red flag to the team as the racing stuff.

15 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

He asked what was the #1 trait the team looks for in players and Poles immediately said "Yeah its passion for the game."  Might be just a generic answer, but sounds like if the rumors about Jalen Carter not really being that passionate about playing football might be as much of a red flag to the team as the racing stuff.

I didn’t really pick up on the passion comment having anything to do with Carter and his lack of it, but that’s a great observation 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Also, best comment, Poles better hire this guy.

EN4uf2A.png

4 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

Cut Whitehair and Vildor

Sign an OG, OT, and WR

Sign Hargrave or D'M Jones

Trade the 1stOverall and Draft defense..

We are a playoff team😁🤣

One of the more toxic assumptions bears fans have is that any draft and free agency moves we make this off-season will make us a playoff team this year. We have so many holes that at best, this season just shows we’ve made a step in the right direction. I think GB is descending, making their ensuing rebuild inevitable and success is contingent on Love being their guy, which I don’t think he is. Vikings are winning now but think they’re back in QB purgatory soon and without Cook, it’s the JJ show and that’s it, reminiscent of Randy post Carter. Lions are the biggest thing to worry about in the future of the north, which almost makes me laugh to say it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Big Cat’s schtick as a dumb fan I feel like makes him a good interviewer (partially from pft commenter balancing him out like Abbott and Costello) and makes guests more comfortable. Gives you a different take on the people that arent quite as guarded as they would be talking to an actual football guy.

Poles was a little up tight till Big Cat said "were just dumb fans" and "this is what we talk about as idiot fans" a few times. But then he had fun with it.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I am a known detractor of Claypool but it is for what I saw and didn’t like when he was succeeding in PIT, not the stuff I observed this year. I’ll happily be wrong about him though. 

He obviously wasnt expecting to be trading the #32 pick for him at the time. But I think he will take #1 and the trade package hes about to receive for it, if it meant overpaying a bit for Claypool (who could still turn out to be an asset for us)

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

He obviously wasnt expecting to be trading the #32 pick for him at the time. But I think he will take #1 and the trade package hes about to receive for it, if it meant overpaying a bit for Claypool (who could still turn out to be an asset for us)

Exactly. This is a guy who produced in the league at a pretty solid level with the corpse of Roethlisberger throwing to him, then stepped into a situation set up for every receiver to be underwhelming, then got hurt. People just assuming he’s going to be completely useless in 2023 are as ridiculous as anyone who would expect him to be a 1500 yard receiver next year.

The internet doesn’t generally allow for anything but the extremes though - either he’s great or he sucks. If Claypool is 2020-21 Claypool in 2023 then that’s a pretty effective player. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Claypool is 2020-21 Claypool in 2023 then that’s a pretty effective player. 

This. I remember a Claypool who was showing up on the highlight reel and consistently picking up first downs and chunk yardage. That's a guy who can be useful. I think he can still be that guy, and have high hopes for him this year after a full offseason in the system. I think the WR position is especially one where deficiencies at other positions on offense are amplified. If we shore up the OL and get some improved receiving production from the TE position, then our WRs will have more opportunities this year. That's not to say that the group doesn't still need more talent--it absolutely does.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

This. I remember a Claypool who was showing up on the highlight reel and consistently picking up first downs and chunk yardage. That's a guy who can be useful. I think he can still be that guy, and have high hopes for him this year after a full offseason in the system. I think the WR position is especially one where deficiencies at other positions on offense are amplified. If we shore up the OL and get some improved receiving production from the TE position, then our WRs will have more opportunities this year. That's not to say that the group doesn't still need more talent--it absolutely does.

Also just giving him snaps. There wasn't a single game for Chicago that he had 40 snaps on offense but in PIT he only had one game under 50.

The more I look at it the more obvious there seems to have been a tank from the staff. Fields not using his legs after they were VERY effective with his legs early in the game, keeping guys like Pettis on the field while Claypool was on the sidelines, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

I have now arrived at the conclusion that David Haugh's voice and just about everything that he says incites violence in me. I probably need to talk to someone about this.

I constantly have to remind myself why he’s (probably) saying what he’s saying. His job is to drive content, and making polarizing statements is certainly one way to do that. One absurd comment at 6:30am might give them 45 minutes worth of calls. In that regard, it’s working for him. It’s just the the Howard Stern radio show model (which became the Bayless/SAS model for sports). People who love them or hate them continue to listen for the same reason - they want to hear what they’ll say next. For the station it doesn’t matter why they listen as long as they do. 

For me though, most of what comes out of his and Mully’s mouths in the morning is completely without value. Ever since the morning show canned Hanley a few years ago I can barely listen to it.