WR Talk

nicfre2011

On 4/4/2023 at 4:33 AM, MWil23 said:

I just don’t get the hype. He had an incredible amount of drops, he’s super tiny, and he’s got mediocre athletic skills aside from his tiny for high school stature. I think he’s a late D3 guy that you hope can develop into a slot and gadget guy considering his struggles consistently catching the ball. Given his stone hands he has zero value on special teams either as a returner, nor is he going to be a gunner. Hard pass from me personally.

Idk I think I’ll listen to Steve Smiths opinion on the guy 😂🤷

On 4/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, MWil23 said:

He has 21 drops the last 2 seasons, that’s more than a 10% drop rate

Not unless he had 210 targets on those 200 catches. You have to do drops/targets to get drop rate.

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Idk I think I’ll listen to Steve Smiths opinion on the guy 😂🤷

I love and respect Steve Smith. That said, he is an outlier and was still 184 lbs as opposed to under 170. Throw in Steve’s soft spot for small guys and the fact that they both went to Utah, and I’m going to take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soko said:

Not unless he had 210 targets on those 200 catches. You have to do drops/targets to get drop rate.

4 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Dell had an 8.3% drop rate this season.

Flowers had 9.9% and Johnston 10.7%

8.3% is close enough for me 

12 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

What are the issues with Rashee Rice?  The more I see of him the more I like.

I think he's better than he realises. He does this weird thing, where he gets beyond a defender and then randomly seeks out contact rather than focussing on the delivery of the ball. 

Just now, goldfishwars said:

I think he's better than he realises. He does this weird thing, where he gets beyond a defender and then randomly seeks out contact rather than focussing on the delivery of the ball. 

That seems very fixable with NFL coaching vs SMU coaches.  I haven't done as deep a dive into this draft as I have in years past, but from what i've seen I like Rice more than some of these guys with Rd 1 buzz.

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

What are the issues with Rashee Rice?  The more I see of him the more I like.

His overall week at the Senior Bowl I think hurt his stock a ton as well...

"Rashee Rice, Wide Receiver, SMU

The skill position player with the highest stock heading into the Senior Bowl was Rashee Rice. Rice was considered a top-50 player by many and had a chance to move his way up into first round consideration. He struggled at times at beating press coverage and getting separation, especially at the beginning of the week. He finished off the week on a much stronger note but was still outshined by other receivers. Rice still projects as a solid possession receiver, but he underwhelmed for someone who was supposed to be the best pass catcher there."

https://twsn.net/2023/02/2023-senior-bowl-risers-and-fallers

Zay Flowers is the best WR prospect in the class. Can threaten horizontally, vertically and after the catch. He plays bigger than he is and is a natural downfield receiver with slot WR COD. 

Not a top-5 guy because of his size and inconsistent hands so far. I bet a lot of today's play-callers would like to add a triple threat like him. Can't see him getting past pick 14.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 12:34 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Addison and Flowers uncover like Devonta did in college, but he has better ball skills & is a much more nuanced route runner. Devonta Smith had the same grade as Trevor Lawrence did for me. I don't factor in positional importance, for what that's worth. I thought Devonta was as close to "generational" as you could get for WR's. He is insanely good at setting up defenders and has enough athleticism to take advantage of that.

I don't think Addison and Flowers are in the same realm as Smith, but those are the most similar, if you're trying to force a comparison (I know you're not).

I think Zay looks pretty sneaky natural at those things. He looks smooth, comfortable out on the field even in traffic. He looks like a high-processor to me. He has the raw ability as well and think of his hands become a plus for him and he becomes a technician he could be truly elite. 

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think Zay looks pretty sneaky natural at those things. He looks smooth, comfortable out on the field even in traffic. He looks like a high-processor to me. He has the raw ability as well and think of his hands become a plus for him and he becomes a technician he could be truly elite. 

He definitely doesn’t have the ball skills of Devonta. Yeah Zay has a crazy high ceiling because of the way he moves, but Devonta was as polished of a prospect as I’ve ever seen from a WR. Literally a perfect prospect from a technical standpoint—just didn’t have the size or freak speed to be considered the GOAT prospect. 

11 hours ago, Epyon said:

His overall week at the Senior Bowl I think hurt his stock a ton as well...

"Rashee Rice, Wide Receiver, SMU

The skill position player with the highest stock heading into the Senior Bowl was Rashee Rice. Rice was considered a top-50 player by many and had a chance to move his way up into first round consideration. He struggled at times at beating press coverage and getting separation, especially at the beginning of the week. He finished off the week on a much stronger note but was still outshined by other receivers. Rice still projects as a solid possession receiver, but he underwhelmed for someone who was supposed to be the best pass catcher there."

https://twsn.net/2023/02/2023-senior-bowl-risers-and-fallers

I barely saw any of Senior Bowl week and didn't see the game at all, but I think people might be over reacting to what could have just been an off week.  His work in the season was really good.  I'd love the Bengals to take a hard look at 60 or 92 if he makes it there, I think he could be a great Boyd replacement with a year to learn behind him.