WR Talk

nicfre2011

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

No. And I am a pretty big/early fan of his. He is a 3rd rounder at best. Way too limited as a WR right now. Doesn’t play as fast as he timed either, to be honest. He is gonna be fun after the catch though. 

I could see him going in the 2nd round.

Why did LSU wr Boutte drop so far in rankings, mid October everywhere I looked he was slated as top 3 in this class now he is 15-20. I know injury slowed his production this year but he didn't suffer anything he cant come back on. I still have him pretty high on my rankings and just curious what you guys know or what game I should watch that doesn't make him WR 1 potential in the nfl?

On 4/11/2023 at 7:54 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

Short area quicks? He’s elite. Long speed? No. Fast is different than quick. 6’1 and sub 200 pounds is not “the total package” at WR.

Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Randy Moss, Julio Jones, and Andre Johnson were the “total packages.” JSN is a very good prospect for sure, but he’s not in that realm.

Maybe we have different views on what that phrase means. To me, it means you have every skill at your disposal. JSN does not. He lacks the great size to be a jump ball threat on the outside & lacks the track speed to run past everyone. 

agree and yet he is still wr 1 in this class as there is no prospect that is the total package this year imo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikes635 said:

Why did LSU wr Boutte drop so far in rankings, mid October everywhere I looked he was slated as top 3 in this class now he is 15-20. I know injury slowed his production this year but he didn't suffer anything he cant come back on. I still have him pretty high on my rankings and just curious what you guys know or what game I should watch that doesn't make him WR 1 potential in the nfl?

I’d like to know this too.

Looking through the RAS scores the other day, it was notable he was like 2nd from bottom or something. Maybe he just hasn’t got it anymore/never had?

4 hours ago, vikes635 said:

The few times I watched him last year he had undoubtedly the worst body language I have ever seen from a collegiate player. He didn’t care. It really looked like a three year throwing a tantrum. He was dropping a ton of passes and couldn’t separate. Then he goes out and bombs this workouts. He looked like the same frumpy and disinterested guy. He broke out during the COVID season, which at this point needs to be in question. That was a weird year. He doesn’t have a ton of height, speed, or size. He only reminders me of Treadwell, if only Treadwell had more injury concerns and didn’t give two poops. 

What are the concerns with Cedric Tillman? I am still trying to figure out what WR prospect could end up getting selected late 1st that could be considered a surprise by draft pundits fans.

Doesn't Tillman seem like a much more natural all around receiver than Quentin Johnston?

6 hours ago, vikes635 said:

Any game. He never looked like an impressive receiver this season, and stayed highly ranked just because people don’t update prospect rankings in any meaningful way until the season is over.

Add in an abysmal postseason and no one wants him.

1 hour ago, nicfre2011 said:

What are the concerns with Cedric Tillman? I am still trying to figure out what WR prospect could end up getting selected late 1st that could be considered a surprise by draft pundits fans.

Doesn't Tillman seem like a much more natural all around receiver than Quentin Johnston?

I have him as WR3 in the class, and above Johnston. Sample size, probably. He was injured most of the season and Jalin Hyatt got most of the spotlight, even though for my money, Tillman is the better receiver.

He doesn’t have the most reliable hands though.

17 hours ago, vikes635 said:

It was largely based on what Boutte did in the 6 games in 2021.  The problem is the numbers are fairly similar to what he did in 2022 as what he did in 2021, except it was over 11 games where in 2021 he played in 6 games.  And his athletic testing was pretty unimpressive.  And then there was how the end of the season went for him.  He's just another WR prospect.  Would it surprise me if he ended up as one of the best WRs?  No.  Would it surprise me if he flamed out quickly?  Nope.

• Like 1

I posted this in a Chiefs forum, wanted to get some opinions on Tillman vs. Johnston:

As crazy as this might sound....I am actually more on board with the idea of Cedric Tillman being a better NFL prospect than Quentin Johnston from an all around WR prospect. Size, athleticism, physicality, strong at the catch point, tenacity and willingness as a blocker....he just seems to have the natural wide receiver talent, while Johnston seems to have the inconsistencies that make me wonder if the nuances and natural feel for the position just isn't there. Also, it's not like Johnston blew up the combine and shows elite athletic ability that will allow him to get by until he hopefully "gets it".

Am I way off base?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

I posted this in a Chiefs forum, wanted to get some opinions on Tillman vs. Johnston:

As crazy as this might sound....I am actually more on board with the idea of Cedric Tillman being a better NFL prospect than Quentin Johnston from an all around WR prospect. Size, athleticism, physicality, strong at the catch point, tenacity and willingness as a blocker....he just seems to have the natural wide receiver talent, while Johnston seems to have the inconsistencies that make me wonder if the nuances and natural feel for the position just isn't there. Also, it's not like Johnston blew up the combine and shows elite athletic ability that will allow him to get by until he hopefully "gets it".

Am I way off base?

Nah. Tillman has been a riser during the process and given that he's one of the few WRs with size, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the first round/above other highly touted prospects.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I’m ready for the Dog that is Josh Downs to play bigger than he is and provide an NFL offense some bite.

The more I watch from him the higher he climbs on my board. Was initially put off by his size but he does play bigger and remind me a bit of Tyler Lockett. Where do you think he's getting drafted? Top 50 pick?

• Like 1