Which teams are farthest away from contention?

notthatbluestuff

As we've seen with the Bengals and Jaguars, the fortunes of NFL teams can turn around seemingly overnight. As we've seen with the Browns, a seemingly bright future can also turn out to be a mirage. Which teams still have a long way to go before they're seriously contending for titles? Would you simply choose the teams at the bottom of the standings (Bears, Texans) or a team that appears to be on the downswing?

34 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If Carr is gone, maybe the Raiders. 

If Carr is replaced by Brady or Rodgers, then that would probably put them closer to contention - at least for a short period of time.

If the QB this year is a downgrade on Carr, then yeah, things could get messy.

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

If Carr is replaced by Brady or Rodgers, then that would probably put them closer to contention - at least for a short period of time.

If the QB this year is a downgrade on Carr, then yeah, things could get messy.

To your first point, that's fair. My guess is that neither is on the team. But you are correct. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If Carr is gone, maybe the Raiders. 

Raiders roster is full of holes outside of some pass catchers and like 3-4 talented defenders so accurate

1. Buccaneers post brady 

2. Las Vegas Raiders pending Derek Carr leaving/forcing them to cut him.

3. Cleveland Browns because Browns.

4. New York Giants.

5. Colts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Agreed, if only because these are the only three teams who are not within a franchise QB of contending for a 2023 playoff spot.

I think Arizona could get a playoff spot if Murray balls out hard.

The Texans are probably closer to a SB than some of the mid-tier teams that won’t get significantly better. Like Pittsburgh. They’ll never suck with their current regime and HC, but they’re still nowhere near contenders & likely won’t have the resources to bolster the roster with a franchise QB any time soon.

If Deshaun continues to suck nards, Cleveland has to be considered due to their lack of assets and the fact that the rest of the roster is good enough to keep them out of range for the franchise guy. That said, I don’t think he will. 

• Like 2

When I think of contending teams, I expect to know at least an identity of that team and what they are trying to accomplish. When I look at teams like Houston, Arizona, Chicago and Carolina, I don't know exactly what their team identity is. They have a few individual good players, but as a whole, their identity is lacking from the outside looking in. 

I think a middling team without a real shot at a franchise QB at the top of the draft is probably further off than a top 5 picking team. Like you said Jags and Bengals were terrible and turned around quickly because of their franchise QBs.

Because of that i’d go with a team like the Falcons or Titans or something. 

• Like 2

Saints
Bears
Colts
Falcons
Buccaneers
Broncos

Some of these teams not because of the sheer amount of talent they have on their team right now but just because they're window is closed and it's going to be some time before their window is open again.