Which teams are farthest away from contention?

notthatbluestuff

Without looking at any replies in the thread to avoid bias: 

Bears.

Honestly, I feel like any other team can be a playoff contender by 2024... but the Bears holes are very gaping. I can't see the Bears making the playoffs in the 2023 or 2024 season no matter how hard I try. 

7 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Agreed, if only because these are the only three teams who are not within a franchise QB of contending for a 2023 playoff spot.

7 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think Arizona could get a playoff spot if Murray balls out hard.

They literally made the playoffs last year with Kliff as the coach...

Im not joking when I say this but its the Cowboys.

Every season people buy into them like they are finally going to break through. They constantly relive the glory days of when Jimmy Johnson was coach and they had Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin. People actually try at times to compare the current Cowboys teams at the time to those championship teams. The results always end up the same. The Cowboys dont make it to the NFCCG let alone win a Superbowl. Its been 28yrs and counting. They have the worst playoff percentage in that 28yr span than any team in the NFL.

I think people are looking hard at Dak saying the Cowboys wont win a title with him at QB. Im sure people said the same thing with Romo too. Then people will look at the coach. They blamed Garrett and now McCarthy. Yes it can be a combo of both but I think we need to look at Jerry Jones. Stephen A made a joke about saying there is a black cat running around that franchise. Honestly I dont believe he is joking. Jerry Jones is that black cat. Call it the curse of Jimmy Johnson or whatever you want to call it. Jerry gets in the way of the Cowboys too much for them to ever be taken seriously as a Superbowl caliber team. Yes they have some pieces that make you believe they arent too far away but trust me they are. But hey as long as the Cowboys are constantly talked about and the ratings are sky high and the stadium is packed and Jerry is getting all his money worth plus some it doesnt matter if the Cowboys truly win another Superbowl. It just is wild how Cowboys fans still get sad and upset by breaking tvs when they know what was going to happen every season.

Edited by stl4life07

Thanks to Jon Robinson, I'm actually going to say the Titans are stealth pretty far. Henry's near the end most likely unless he has the Gore DNA and Tannehill is one more injury/decline due to age from falling below the Dalton line. Otherwise their offensive talent is barren. Their defense is better with legit pieces like Simmons, Autry, Byard and Landry but they lack depth and the good players are all pretty expensive and Vrabel is too good of a coach to bottom out unless they move Tannehill. Unless they hit in the draft it'll be hard to build their roster to real contender status. I was stunned when they extended Robinson and was seemingly proven correct mere months later.

• Like 1

This topic is hilarious 

@notthatbluestuff

I’ve never seen this question posed like this 😂 so congrats on that. My Browns would’ve won this plenty of times. 

I’m actually going to say Atlanta 

because at least Houston is about to get Stroud or Young 

Idk What Atlanta thinks they’re gonna do with Ridder. He ain’t it 

Tennessee is a sleeper too. I see their downturn coming soon. 

• Like 1

I'd say the Broncos. Every other team that isn't good or even the middling teams could improve at QB in some way. Denver is locked into Russ so unless you think he turns into prime Russ they aren't doing anything until at least 2026 when they can get out from the contract and even then you are looking at at least a year or 2 to build.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

So? They were a better team last year. And they have lost a lot since then.

Like what? Watt and Kirk? Watt only played 6 gms that year. And Hollywood is just as good if not better than Kirk. What they lost was prob the most gms due to injury on the offense out of any team in the lg this year. 

11 hours ago, mse326 said:

I'd say the Broncos. Every other team that isn't good or even the middling teams could improve at QB in some way. Denver is locked into Russ so unless you think he turns into prime Russ they aren't doing anything until at least 2026 when they can get out from the contract and even then you are looking at at least a year or 2 to build.

This is how I looked at it as well. Being awful is often a great way to get really good quickly. So who are the middling teams that won't get premium draft capital and are somehow "stuck" with QB play that isn't going to cut it.

I think Denver, Minnesota, Chicago and Arizona fit that mold. The Rams might too at this point.

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The Ravens are a dark horse if they let Lamar go this offseason

I can't really list a team where the QB position is wide open. It's the biggest variable, and the team is motivated to address it. And they might nail it.

The teams that aren't super motivated to address that position AND still kinda suck, are the clearest answers I believe.

• Like 1