Chiefs vs Eagles in Super Bowl LVII

vike daddy

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure where to put Andy Reid...he and Belichick are far and away the top 2 of the last 25 years, but how do you factor in the earlier ones?  I'm pretty sure Bill Walsh could have adapted to today's QBs...Shula and Landry may have not, but they got in nearly as many playoff games as Reid with less games available (although certainly there was more opportunity to make them)...and Chuck Noll may have taken advantage of getting into the playoffs more than anyone.    Reid is clearly in the top 10 of all-time coaches, but where you rank him is up for debate.  I was around for all of them (at least in their later years in the case of Noll, Landry and Shula).

I think you basically need to categorize coaches in a pre free agency era and a post free agency era. 

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Not calling a penalty IS influencing the outcome. Why let one team not play by the rules? That IS LITERALLY influencing the outcome.

Not when they haven’t called it all game, and both teams have been benefiting from it. 

You can’t take a black and white approach to calling a penalty when the rule isn’t written in a black or white way. It’s a subjective rule. 

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

The DB also could have not committed a foul and the pass as thrown wouldn't have been complete. Don't blame the refs for the DB deciding to commit a penalty because he was going to get cooked on that route.

I fully appreciate the game flow and consistency argument, but to say "titanic influence" is so overly dramatic.

Not really. Just tag me so we can discuss

My “Titanic influence” sentiment, paired with less than two minutes of Super Bowl left to go, fit together fine. I don’t see how I’m being dramatic. Most people believe this…. I’m just explaining it the way I view it. 

Edited by Morlee

Just now, Morlee said:

Not really. Just tag me so we can discuss

My “Titanic influence” sentiment, paired with less than two minutes of Super Bowl left to go, fit together fine. I don’t see how I’m being dramatic. Most people believe this…. I’m just explaining it the way I view it. 

It's an easy cop out excuse for Philly - they had plenty of other opportunities to stop KC, like not letting Pat Mahomes scramble up the middle on a bum leg. Or trying to stop McKinnon rather than thinking that KC was going to try to score a TD and not run out the clock.

I said it earlier - I think Pat Mahomes saw the hold and threw the ball where no one could get it intentionally to make sure that flag was there. He knew what he was doing in that scenario, and it was a foul. I don't love that they threw the flag (except for wanting Philly to lose), but it wasn't an egregious call at all. Certainly not worth the conversation it's generating.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Or trying to stop McKinnon rather than thinking that KC was going to try to score a TD and not run out the clock.

If the Eagles had shoved him out of bounds, rather than trying to let him score, they would have had over 50 seconds to try and get into field goal range. 

Situational awareness. 

• Like 3

Like I said earlier, I didn't have a dog in the fight. I have a lot of respect for Jalen Hurts. He was the best QB on the field for 3 quarters. And it wasn't close. We all knew Mahomes would be on fire in the 4th quarter, even if he had his leg amputated. Hurts shouldn't hang his head. He's a baller with a dinged up passing arm...and played great.

1 minute ago, Captain Relax said:

Like I said earlier, I didn't have a dog in the fight. I have a lot of respect for Jalen Hurts. He was the best QB on the field for 3 quarters. And it wasn't close. We all knew Mahomes would be on fire in the 4th quarter, even if he had his leg amputated. Hurts shouldn't hang his head. He's a baller with a dinged up passing arm...and played great.

And we get to face both of them again next year!  Fun times!  😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Eagles had shoved him out of bounds, rather than trying to let him score, they would have had over 50 seconds to try and get into field goal range. 

Situational awareness. 

Situational awareness was one of the first thoughts I had when JuJu caught a pass, went out of bounds (willingly IIRC) which stopped the clock with 4:37. Pacheco run play and injury was the following play. Chiefs could've burned another 30+ seconds if JuJu stays in bounds.

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

The dude literally admitted he held, but was hoping the refs wouldn't call it......

I agree that it was a penalty. I’m just surprised that they called it when they did. It certainly was not the most egregious, defensive holding I have ever seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Situational awareness was one of the first thoughts I had when JuJu caught a pass, went out of bounds (willingly IIRC) which stopped the clock with 4:37. Pacheco run play and injury was the following play. Chiefs could've burned another 30+ seconds if JuJu stays in bounds.

They weren’t even in FG range at the point. It seems like it would be premature for them to be thinking about burning clock.

Eagles blew it, and both they and the Chiefs could lose some big time players.  Chiefs could lose Orlando Brown Jr, Wylie, Dunlap, Nnadi, McKinnon, JuJu, Sanders etc.  Eagles lose possibly Cox, Hargrave, Kelce, Bradbury, White, Edwards, Gardner-Johnson, B. Graham, Suh, Miles Sanders, L. Joseph etc

Eagles go by on playing their QB rookie money and spending it other places and Chiefs got by with three DBs in the secondary who were rookies and played pretty well along with paying Humphrey and Trey Smith two very good OL rookie contracts as well.

17 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

They weren’t even in FG range at the point. It seems like it would be premature for them to be thinking about burning clock.

True, the play ended at the KC 38 yard line. I believe KC had 2 TO's at the time.

I would like to think the gameplan was for them to be in their 4-minute offense. It all worked out in the end and there of course could be the butterfly effect if he stays in-bonds. Was just something I observed, I would've been telling my guys to stay in bounds if possible.