2023 Draft

THE DUKE

He was listed at 180 in college but weighed 166 at the combine. So maybe the college weight was exaggerated, the way most prospects come in shorter than their college listed heights. Or maybe he just dropped weight to run faster and jump higher for the combine. But even at 180 he'd be among the smallest players in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Good article here from John Sheeran. Analyzes history of the Bengals thresholds/targets at RB. Some interesting names in and out.

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-identifying-likely-nfl-draft-targets-at-running-back/

I really like the work some of these twitter analysts are doing in this segment.  They're building up a nice trend history of guys the Bengals will and won't target, and where they've succeeded and where they've failed.  

Mock of what I think they would do more so than what I would do.  I'm not sure Wright makes it to 28, but he was there.  I could very much see us trading down into the mid to late 30's to pick up an extra 3.  We have a lot of targets in that 30-45 range that would be a little rich at 28.

• CIN
    Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee

• CIN
    Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State

• CIN
    Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa

• CIN
    Roschon Johnson
    RB Texas

• CIN
    Jalen Redmond
    DT Oklahoma

• CIN
    Aidan O'Connell
    QB Purdue

• CIN
    Xazavian Valladay
    RB Arizona State

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Mock of what I think they would do more so than what I would do.  I'm not sure Wright makes it to 28, but he was there.  I could very much see us trading down into the mid to late 30's to pick up an extra 3.  We have a lot of targets in that 30-45 range that would be a little rich at 28.

• CIN
    Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee

• CIN
    Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State

• CIN
    Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa

• CIN
    Roschon Johnson
    RB Texas

• CIN
    Jalen Redmond
    DT Oklahoma

• CIN
    Aidan O'Connell
    QB Purdue

• CIN
    Xazavian Valladay
    RB Arizona State

I'd be happy with that overall. But doubt Wright is still on the board at 28. If we took Dawand Jones instead, it would still be a good draft and hit our needs with value. Though we don't really need a QB as much as a third TE. 

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'd be happy with that overall. But doubt Wright is still on the board at 28. If we took Dawand Jones instead, it would still be a good draft and hit our needs with value. Though we don't really need a QB as much as a third TE. 

We met with O'Connell, where there's smoke...

Looking at the roster as it is right now, a few things seem quite clearer to me leading into the draft

QB: Joe Burrow, Jake Browning
RB: Joe Mixon, Trayveon Williams, Chris Evans
FB: NA
XWR: JaMarr Chase, Stanley Morgan
YWR: Tee Higgins, Trenton Irwin
ZWR: Tyler Boyd, Trent Taylor, Kwamie Lassiter
TE: Irv Smith Jr, Devin Asiasi, Nick Bowers, Tanner Hudson
LT: Orlando Brown Jr, Jackson Carman, Devin Cochran
LG: Cordell Volson, Hakeem Adeniji, Nate Gillam
OC: Ted Karras, Trey Hill, Ben Brown
RG: Alex Cappa, Max Scharping
RT: Jonah Williams, La'el Collins, Cody Ford, D'Ante Smith

LDE: Sam Hubbard, Cam Sample, Jeffrey Gunter, Owen Carney
UDT: BJ Hill, Zach Carter, Jay Tufele
NDT: DJ Reader, Josh Tupou, Domenique Davis
RDE: Trey Hendrickson, Joseph Ossai, Tarell Basham, Raymond Johnson III
WLB: Logan Wilson, Akeem Davis-Gaither, Keandre Jones
MLB: Germaine Pratt, Joe Bachie, Markus Bailey
LCB: Chidobe Awuzie, Sidney Davis
FS: Nick Scott, Michael Thomas, Yusef Corker
SS: Dax Hill, Tycen Anderson
SCB: Mike Hilton, Jalen Davis, Allan George
RCB: Cam Taylor-Britt, Marvin Tell III

K: Evan McPherson
P: Drue Chirsman
LS: Cal Admoitis

• While I can very much see us drafting an OT, I think it will be Rd1, Rd2, or not at all.  I don't think they are interested in another young body there that isn't a premium prospect to be starting this year or next.  We have some depth, even if it is questionable.
  • I absolutely think we take an Interior Offensive Lineman at some point, ideally a center, most likely someone with C/G flexibility.
  • We're going to take a CB on Day 1 or Day 2, I virtually guarantee it.  We might take two CB in this draft.
  • I won't be shocked if we take zero defenisve linemen.  We fall into the same category as OT.  It's going to be early or not at all.  A day 3 edge or DT most likely isn't beating out Cam Sample or Zach Carter for reps.  It'd help depth I guess, but I can absolutely see Tufele as DT5 heading into this year.  The top 4 edges are pretty much written in cement, any draftee has to beat out Basham.
  • We won't be taking a LB, especially if the plan is to extend Logan Wilson, which seems to be what most people think we will do.
  • I do think a TE is in play at any point in this draft, however, I don't think we take 2.  I think they are ok with Asiasi at TE3, and a rookie as TE2.  Other positions are just going to be valued higher.
  • I'll be pretty surprised if we don't take at least one WR.
  • We're most likely taking a backup QB on day 3.  Signs now point to Aiden O'Connell or Dorian Thompson-Robinson, i'm guessing one of those at 206.
  • Unless there is a guy they see as a top 15 guy in the draft at 28, I think we trade back into the 36-42 range to pick up another 3rd rd pick.  I think the trade back is more likely than drafting someone at 28.
  • They want a RB for the next 4 years, but I don't think they will reach for a guy either.  Even with the legal trouble popping up again, I don't think Mixon being RB1 in 2023 is off the table.  If we can get a guy in rds 2-4 they like (Charbonet, Abanikanda, Roschon, Bigsby, etc...) then I can see Mixon cut.  Even think there is an outside shot they take 2 RB and move on from Chris Evans.

We have 7 picks, here is how I think they rank need more so than what rd they will go in

1. CB
  2. OT/Edge/DT - One of these, and the other two not at all
  3. TE
  4. RB
  5. IOL
  6. WR
  7. Backup QB
  8. If we can trade down for an extra pick, that is when maybe a 2nd CB or 2nd RB comes into play
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

What's up with Bryan Bresee? I thought he was ticketed in the top 15, but I see him available around us in draft simulator and Kiper sent him to us in his most recent mock. Why's he falling?

I don't think he is falling, I think back end of round one was where he has been.  He was a mega hyped prospect going into Clemson, and he was good, but was not consistent.  When he's on, he looks like a monster, but there were games he just disappeared as well and not always against top competition.  End of the day, he only had 9 sacks and 15 TFL in 3 years at Clemson in 25 games played.  With Breese you are banking on athletic upside (9.61 RAS) more so than college production.  If he was some random 3 star prospect at a mid level B1G school, he'd probably be viewed as more of a rd2/rd3 pick with upside.

Three trade downs, and a trade of Jonah for a mid third round pick, this would be an A+ draft for me if it were reality (and yes, I realize that some of these guys probably won't be available where I get them, but a man can dream, can't he????!!!???)

• CIN
    Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State

• CIN
    Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Zacch Pickens
    DT South Carolina

• CIN
    Dontayvion Wicks
    WR Virginia

• CIN
    Tyjae Spears
    RB Tulane

• CIN
    Chandler Zavala
    OG NC State
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Michael Turk
    P Oklahoma

• CIN
    Josh Whyle
    TE Cincinnati

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Three trade downs, and a trade of Jonah for a mid third round pick, this would be an A+ draft for me if it were reality (and yes, I realize that some of these guys probably won't be available where I get them, but a man can dream, can't he????!!!???)

• CIN
    Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State

• CIN
    Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Zacch Pickens
    DT South Carolina

• CIN
    Dontayvion Wicks
    WR Virginia

• CIN
    Tyjae Spears
    RB Tulane

• CIN
    Chandler Zavala
    OG NC State
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Michael Turk
    P Oklahoma

• CIN
    Josh Whyle
    TE Cincinnati

Even if you had to "settle" for Jones instead of Wright, that would be a massive haul.  RB solved for awhile.  Depth at other spots.  Multiple TEs and Brents.

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Even if you had to "settle" for Jones instead of Wright, that would be a massive haul.  RB solved for awhile.  Depth at other spots.  Multiple TEs and Brents.

Oddly enough, Jones went at 32, I traded down with him in mind, or possibly Forbes.