1. 1. Which Rocky should Adam watch

• Rocky - the original underdog story
    • Rocky 2
    • I pity the fool who don't watch Rocky 3
    • The greatest training montage in history with Rocky 4
    • LOL Rocky 5...you guys are just mean
    • Rocky Balboa

8 hours ago, adamq said:

Not going to watch because spoiler and I love me some Chevy Chase. Is this the first Rocky?

6 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

No, it’s from Dirty Work with Norm Mac, and it contains a Rocky 3 spoiler.

Honestly, you'd probably be better off watching Dirty Work over any of the Rocky movies IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adamq said:

I think we can call it.. Saturday I will be watching Rocky 1. 

I have added Dirty Work to my list as well, I had heard it mentioned in interviews with Norm but never saw it

Dirty Work is hilarious.    Really juvenile and Norm cant really act, but there still parts that make me bust out laughing, especially the parts with Chris Farley.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 5:20 PM, Forge said:

Prior to the Eagles / Niners game, Adam said he had never seen a Rocky movie, but would watch one if Philly won. 

Philly has won. 

So what single Rocky movie should @adamq watch? I'm not including Creed movies. 

This doesn't necessarily have to be the best one...vote based on however you want. Watchability, quality...punishment. 

Rocky 1-4, skip Rocky V because it's not a part of the cannon and doesn't actually exist.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 5:33 PM, Forge said:

Rocky 4 is so enjoyable for me that I voted it. 

It's arguably my favorite...I once wrote a synopsis on the entire movie:

Rocky IV Plot Holes

It’s worth noting that I absolutely love almost everything about Rocky IV. However, the skeptic in me had to take some time to ponder some fairly egregious things about the movie that rational thought simply wouldn’t allow me to get over:

Ø  Apollo decides to come out of retirement, and fight someone virtually “unknown” in an exhibition fight. A few things are problematic here. First, Drago was a GOLD MEDALIST, which means that he was, at worst, internationally known and a clear-cut young  “up and comer”. Secondly, he was scientifically proven to punch 4 times harder than an average heavyweight boxer. Also…he’s 6’5 265.

Ø  Since when is it Rocky’s sole responsibility to stop a fight? Apollo is helpless and taking unprotected head shot after head shot, profusely bleeding, and unable to move or put his hands up to defend himself. Besides, Rocky clearly throws in the towel before the final punch. Where was the referee in the Drago vs. Creed match? This brings me to my next point:

Ø  Boxers are not suspended or even disqualified for flinging referees aside like rag dolls and continuing to strike a helpless, defeated opponent like Drago did to Creed.

Ø   Rocky agrees to fight Drago…IN Moscow…on CHRISTMAS…for FREE.

Ø  Rocky’s car on his drive to “clear his head” and think has at least 17 gears on his transmission.

Ø  Rocky arrives in the middle of what we can only assume to be Siberia…in the middle of winter…in a shack…without anything more than a fireplace for warmth and a barn to train in. Also, he arrives without his wife Adrian, who told him that he CAN’T WIN and would probably die…right before he left.

Ø  A good way to pass the time while in Russia is to play chess while listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Ø  Training without proper equipment will still render good results. When it comes to preparing for a top-level boxing match, sparring, pad work, bag work, speedballs, shadowboxing, skipping, cardio circuits, springs, other boxing-related training in a well-equipped modern gym, and actual game plan. Bonus points for portraying the evil Soviet killer Drago for using steroids and not our hero Rocky…the irony isn’t lost on me or Sylvester Stallone here.

o   NOTE: This training montage is epic and phenomenal. I love every second of it.

Ø  Rocky can not only climb a mountain, but full sprint up this mountain, in the middle of winter, with a beanie, a pair of gloves, and some snow boots

Ø  Rocky shows up for the fight nice and tan, despite living in complete isolation during the winter.

Ø  Apollo died within a few punches, but Rocky took a far worse beating and still ends up defeating Drago.

Ø  Russian fans have little American flags on standby in case they decide to cheer for Rocky, and are willing to forsake their national pride in favor of a winner…from an old enemy…because their best countryman lose…especially in front of their Soviet government officials, who over the past 40-50 years has systematically murdered anyone who has remotely resembled to go against, speak out against, or act out against their government out of sheer paranoia.

Ø  Drago choke-slams the head of the Soviet regime without being as much as being rebuked. Stalin had people killed for “not clapping” during his speeches.

Ø  Rocky single handedly ends the 40+ year Cold War…in Moscow…on Christmas Day…during a boxing match…in front of the Soviet government…using broken English…because “WE ALL CAN CHANGE”.

But the first Rocky is the true classic for a reason. 

I'd argue it's the greatest love story/romance movie ever written

Rocky 2 probably has my favorite rocky moment not involving rocky (where Creed is having a meeting with his people on how to get to Rockey  and Duke is pleading with him to let it go...it's a really nice scene from Tony Burton). 

What an absolutely fantastic scene...and Apollo kills it as well with the chip on his shoulder/have to prove himself for the knockout here. The Sly "Don't ask me to not be a man..." monologue is just epic as well.

Rocky 4 is just easy to love. I think it helps if you're old enough to remember the world at the time.

Rocky Balboa is really a decent sequel all those years later. 

Rocky Balboa, Creed, and Creed 2 are all very good films.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's arguably my favorite...I once wrote a synopsis on the entire movie:

Rocky IV Plot Holes

It’s worth noting that I absolutely love almost everything about Rocky IV. However, the skeptic in me had to take some time to ponder some fairly egregious things about the movie that rational thought simply wouldn’t allow me to get over:

Ø  Apollo decides to come out of retirement, and fight someone virtually “unknown” in an exhibition fight. A few things are problematic here. First, Drago was a GOLD MEDALIST, which means that he was, at worst, internationally known and a clear-cut young  “up and comer”. Secondly, he was scientifically proven to punch 4 times harder than an average heavyweight boxer. Also…he’s 6’5 265.

Ø  Since when is it Rocky’s sole responsibility to stop a fight? Apollo is helpless and taking unprotected head shot after head shot, profusely bleeding, and unable to move or put his hands up to defend himself. Besides, Rocky clearly throws in the towel before the final punch. Where was the referee in the Drago vs. Creed match? This brings me to my next point:

Ø  Boxers are not suspended or even disqualified for flinging referees aside like rag dolls and continuing to strike a helpless, defeated opponent like Drago did to Creed.

Ø   Rocky agrees to fight Drago…IN Moscow…on CHRISTMAS…for FREE.

Ø  Rocky’s car on his drive to “clear his head” and think has at least 17 gears on his transmission.

Ø  Rocky arrives in the middle of what we can only assume to be Siberia…in the middle of winter…in a shack…without anything more than a fireplace for warmth and a barn to train in. Also, he arrives without his wife Adrian, who told him that he CAN’T WIN and would probably die…right before he left.

Ø  A good way to pass the time while in Russia is to play chess while listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Ø  Training without proper equipment will still render good results. When it comes to preparing for a top-level boxing match, sparring, pad work, bag work, speedballs, shadowboxing, skipping, cardio circuits, springs, other boxing-related training in a well-equipped modern gym, and actual game plan. Bonus points for portraying the evil Soviet killer Drago for using steroids and not our hero Rocky…the irony isn’t lost on me or Sylvester Stallone here.

o   NOTE: This training montage is epic and phenomenal. I love every second of it.

Ø  Rocky can not only climb a mountain, but full sprint up this mountain, in the middle of winter, with a beanie, a pair of gloves, and some snow boots

Ø  Rocky shows up for the fight nice and tan, despite living in complete isolation during the winter.

Ø  Apollo died within a few punches, but Rocky took a far worse beating and still ends up defeating Drago.

Ø  Russian fans have little American flags on standby in case they decide to cheer for Rocky, and are willing to forsake their national pride in favor of a winner…from an old enemy…because their best countryman lose…especially in front of their Soviet government officials, who over the past 40-50 years has systematically murdered anyone who has remotely resembled to go against, speak out against, or act out against their government out of sheer paranoia.

Ø  Drago choke-slams the head of the Soviet regime without being as much as being rebuked. Stalin had people killed for “not clapping” during his speeches.

Ø  Rocky single handedly ends the 40+ year Cold War…in Moscow…on Christmas Day…during a boxing match…in front of the Soviet government…using broken English…because “WE ALL CAN CHANGE”.

I'd argue it's the greatest love story/romance movie ever written

What an absolutely fantastic scene...and Apollo kills it as well with the chip on his shoulder/have to prove himself for the knockout here. The Sly "Don't ask me to not be a man..." monologue is just epic as well.

Rocky Balboa, Creed, and Creed 2 are all very good films.

As you said...I acknowledge these plot holes. Then I  say the movie is stronger because of them 😂

• Like 1