What does Sean do now?

AKRNA

7 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Well Payton better be able to make the Broncos offence a top 10 unit - because if we bring in Joseph as DC there is going to be a major drop off on defence.

On the upside - if both Wilson and Joseph are sh*te then we might get a top 5 pick and get a QB.

who would get killed because our OL is trash.

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I would feel like this if it was 2, maybe 3 years. But 6? That's just too long out of the grind of being an NFL Coach. Not to mention he hasn't been a Defensive Coordinator for 15 years. With his personality, being subservient to someone rather than being the Head Coach is a ticking timebomb.

Tough to argue with any of that really. Definitely some circus potential here.

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Surely Payton is decent at something - wasn’t it building an OL?

That's the hope. We just have quite a ways to go, both talent and coaching wise. It won't happen overnight. We keep trying to get it done without a franchise center and that rarely works.

21 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Guess which defensive coordinator Marcus Dixon played for. 

Well, Evero, but we know that. I'm glad we're keeping him. He really took advantage of Kollar as a mentor and did pretty well for a 1st year DL coach.

I feel the same about Parker. Great mentors in Capers and Evero and he took advantage. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Well, Evero, but we know that. I'm glad we're keeping him. He really took advantage of Kollar as a mentor and did pretty well for a 1st year DL coach.

I feel the same about Parker. Great mentors in Capers and Evero and he took advantage. 

Dixon never played for Evero. He did play for Wade Phillips and, more notably in this case, Rex Ryan. 

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Dixon never played for Evero. He did play for Wade Phillips and, more notably in this case, Rex Ryan. 

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Sorry, missed the "played for", was thinking coached for.

We now see the problem with inexperienced owners who don’t empower their GM and are as much, if not more, concerned with PR and “winning the news cycle” than they are about making solid decisions. 

An experienced and competent owner, or one that allows their GM to do GM duties, would ask all potential HC candidates for their top 2-3 (or more) candidates for coordinators and position coaches. It’s clear the Walmarts did not do that with Sean Payton as he is just hiring guys from the Saints, keeping a few guys from Hackett’s staff and going for odd-ball, off-the-wall choices like Ryan and Vance for the most important assistant coach job on the staff. 

I think it’s clear Sean didn’t have a plan when he got the job and it’s even more clear the Walmarts did not care. They’ve got their lackeys out there in the media spinning the talking points about Sean being “diligent” but it’s obvious to the more informed fans that he’s flying by the seat of his pants. 

This could work out, I’m not saying it won’t, but it could also very well crash and burn. 

• Like 2