What does Sean do now?

AKRNA

What a sh*t show 

It’s looking more and more like the hiring of Payton was a panic move and that there was zero plan in place - either by the Walmarts or Payton - to fill out the coaching staff.

If Payton was planning on taking a HC job you would have expected that he would have had at least some of his coaching staff lined up - at the very least his OC and DC positions.

I wonder what media personality we'll look at for OC?

Hiring Rex Ryan would be an absolute joke. Hasn't coached in seven years. SEVEN! It would be different if he was out of the league for a year, but this is just mind-numbingly stupid. It's weird that the whole Desai thing went cold. Wonder what happened there.

I'm not going to panic about the pace of hiring, but suffice it to say, I would be extremely critical of a Rex Ryan hire for so many reasons.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Klis is the Broncos’ mouthpiece. If he wrote an article about the team requesting to interview VJ, it’s because they requested to interview VJ. 

Used to be the mouthpiece. He’s close with Elway going back to his playing days and became close to Ellis. Now that neither one of them are running the show, Klis is just another reporter. Must be devastating for him. To quote the play Hamilton, all he ever wanted was “to be in the room where it happens.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I wonder what media personality we'll look at for OC?

Hiring Rex Ryan would be an absolute joke. Hasn't coached in seven years. SEVEN! It would be different if he was out of the league for a year, but this is just mind-numbingly stupid. It's weird that the whole Desai thing went cold. Wonder what happened there.

I'm not going to panic about the pace of hiring, but suffice it to say, I would be extremely critical of a Rex Ryan hire for so many reasons.

I guess stranger things have happened, but I can't recall a time in the cap era where a coach/coordinator was out of the game for 5+ years, came back, and succeeded right away.    Guys who go to college still are actively planning, keeping up with new schemes and trends.   Color TV guys?   Geez.

Sean Desai must have really whiffed the interview to not get consideration.    Man, when Evero made it clear he didn't want to return, I figured, OK, we've got a great young D core, no problem, we'll get good talent.    One reason why I think Payton's taking a longer time is that our D is clearly suited for the 3-4 personnel wise.   NO was predominantly 4-3, so his DC connections aren't so obvious.     But Rex Ryan?   Man....

I'm not nearly as worried about who we get at OC, since it's Payton who runs the show there - the OC is the details guy (which matters, but you don't need as much to succeed).   I'd frankly be OK if we went with an untested guy who can learn under Payton.   A guy like Ronald Curry is fine on the O side.  

If it takes another week to find the right guy at DC - all for it.   Just don't see how taking a name with almost no room for future growth, who's been out of the league coaching-wise for so long, is the answer here.

Edited by Broncofan

52 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Used to be the mouthpiece. He’s close with Elway going back to his playing days and became close to Ellis. Now that neither one of them are running the show, Klis is just another reporter. Must be devastating for him. To quote the play Hamilton, all he ever wanted was “to be in the room where it happens.”

Maybe I’m wrong but I still get the sense he’s the approved team fluffer. He never goes off the reservation with speculation, the stuff he writes is still pretty much always either in real-time or reactive and never getting ahead of a story. He also broke the news of the TE coach and quality control hires this week so he definitely has access. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Feels like everyone is talking about Rex like it’s a done deal but the strongest language used in the reporting was that Rex is a top candidate. 

Feels like that’s the new vernacular reporters use when trying to make an almost declarative statement w/o getting egg on their face if the tides turn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Feels like everyone is talking about Rex like it’s a done deal but the strongest language used in the reporting was that Rex is a top candidate. 

8 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Feels like that’s the new vernacular reporters use when trying to make an almost declarative statement w/o getting egg on their face if the tides turn. 

I read that as well - but to me, I'm just not thrilled with the idea Rex Ryan would be anything but a courtesy candidate, given they worked in the same TV circle.   If we don't hire him, great....but to seriously consider him, let alone hire him, it does raise eyebrows.

Again, I'm not worried about the hires on the O side, or ST side - but our 3-4 scheme / personnel do put Payton in an unfamiliar area.   And we're not in a position to switch to 4-3 for 2023.   So his DC choice has more impact this year, than in future years.

Edited by Broncofan