Official 2023 Combine Thread

goldfishwars

I do think the bench is useful to bring red or green flags.  If a guy blows it out of the water, you give him a little green flag for being strong and a gym rat.  Those are useful in a prospect.  If it's really low, it is a little red flag, but only of it's way low.

Pickens was the most shocking to me though, I see him bench press OLs as like his go-to move.  He locks up, then just extends his arms to throw them off.  Looking at that it's like "oh, that looks exactly like a bench press," so I thought he'd kill it.  Guess he was really doing more of a clean.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Squats, or maybe thrusters? Honestly, you won't get a feel for a player's play strength until you watch them actually play. There is so much technique involved in olympic lifts, and lifts in general, that you're not really measuring a player's strength, you're measuring how well they do at a given lift, which doesn't matter when you're playing football.

But if they did some Olympic style lifts it would be better though.

21 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Love this.

Stephen Paea benched 225 I think 49 times. Remember him rag-dolling OL his whole career? No, because he couldn't. 

Benching 225 in general is a stupid event that to my knowledge has shown to have no corollary to performance at all.

Remember every laughed at Christian McCaffery because of a weak bench?

Orlando Brown too.

Last I checked those guys were still playing.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Benching 225 in general is a stupid event that to my knowledge has shown to have no corollary to performance at all.

Orlando Brown too.

This is the correct take. It feels like every year there’s a solid prospect with either a questionable bench or small hands that gets blown out of proportion. Two of the dumbest things I’ve seen when evaluating prospects over the years. Still feel bad for the Bengals for drafting small hands Joe Burrow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Orlando Brown too.

Orlando Brown was bad at everything at the combine, so I guess we don't need any combine events, because Orlando Brown.

You usually give guys with 35"+ arms a pass on not benching 225 20+ times, but you'll find most of the good OT's in the NFL can do at least 22 reps. There is some merit to the bench press, particularly for OL who essentially have to bench press the guy across from them, without rotating out like RB's and WR's, every single snap they play.

Edited by Jeezla

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Orlando Brown too.

Pat O'Donnell bench-pressed 225 pounds  more times than Clowney. Ergo, Bears should have put him on EDGE.

Not going to lie, I did get a hell of a kick out of that at the time. Seemed like a Snapple fact for the future.

11 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Orlando Brown was bad at everything at the combine, so I guess we don't need any combine events, because Orlando Brown.

Pretty much.

It's main use for me would be interviews, measurements and medical.

So many guys screw up their boards falling in love with muscle definition or lack thereof or a fast or slow 40 time.

At least I would do different athletic tests.    Short shuttle and broad jump are probably two best they have.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Pretty much.

It's main use for me would be interviews, measurements and medical.

So many guys screw up their boards falling in love with muscle definition or lack thereof or a fast or slow 40 time.

At least I would do different athletic tests.    Short shuttle and broad jump are probably two best they have.  

I’d be interested in seeing 40’s that involve wearing pads and holding a football 

• Like 1