Official 2023 Combine Thread

goldfishwars

18 minutes ago, nixa said:

Not the first time I've seen this sentiment, but I really struggle to understand this thinking. Nolan Smith was the #1 recruit in his class (#20 all time per 247) in large part due to his freakish testing. He ran a 4.55 with a 42" vertical and a 4.08 shuttle at 225 pounds 5 years ago. What's changed since then that makes you think he won't test well now?

He's going to be small and I'm not sure he will be that fast. I was going to guess he runs a 4.7. I could very well be wrong, but I just don't see that elite athleticism on tape.

That said, I have a mid 1st round grade on Smith. I absolutely love him, but with his size and athleticism (at least, what I'm guessing), I think he drops on some boards. We shall see. Again, one of my favorite players in the class & I don't care at all about his times. He's an absolute stud on the field.

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He's going to be small and I'm not sure he will be that fast. I was going to guess he runs a 4.7. I could very well be wrong, but I just don't see that elite athleticism on tape.

That said, I have a mid 1st round grade on Smith. I absolutely love him, but with his size and athleticism (at least, what I'm guessing), I think he drops on some boards. We shall see. Again, one of my favorite players in the class & I don't care at all about his times. He's an absolute stud on the field.

He's my guy I hope "falls" for selfish reasons to the Browns in the 2nd.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Surprised Anthony Richardson isn't listed on either. I'd venture to say he's the most freakish athlete at QB this year and probably top 3 in the draft as well. Haven't watched much of Abanikanda film yet, but it's wild to think that Abanikanda probably has one of the faster 100m dash times in this draft class, yet Achane is over a half second faster than him in a 100m dash. Can't wait to see what Achane runs this week.

But who cares if a QB has a good 40 time?  Can he throw the out routes with accuracy and zip.  How accurate is he in crossing routes.  Literally all that matters for QBs in the combine at this point. 

9 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Oops. I missed Richardson somehow.

Abanikanda is supremely fast and significantly bigger than Achane. Achane may time well, but he's also pint-sized. Abanikanda is rocked up and looks to be around the 6'0 215-220 range. I think that's what will make his 40 time more impressive. I think Abanikanda hits a 4.3.

I get that Abanikanda is much bigger and an excellent athlete. Was just highlighting how ridiculously fast Achane is lol.

• Like 1

Just now, jebrick said:

But who cares if a QB has a good 40 time?  Can he throw the out routes with accuracy and zip.  How accurate is he in crossing routes.  Literally all that matters for QBs in the combine at this point. 

Listing most freakish athletes at the combine really has nothing to do with who can hit crossing routes better. It has everything to do with testing numbers at the combine. Nothing more nothing less. Nobody is claiming Richardson isn’t raw as a passer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jebrick said:

People who like statistical things like that.

I'm still annoyed that Malik Willis didn't run.

• Like 2