Pro Day Talk

nicfre2011

44 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

LB Ben VanSumeren is a freak from MSU 42.5 vert and apparently high 4.3’s in the 40 at 237 pounds. 

42.5 must be an all time? Impressive numbers but is this guy any good? Could I say the Richardson of LBS? All the athleticism in the world but not necessarily a good player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lark25 said:

42.5 must be an all time? Impressive numbers but is this guy any good? Could I say the Richardson of LBS? All the athleticism in the world but not necessarily a good player.

One year of production and the production wasn’t even that great. I just see someone taking him maybe in the 7th as a developmental guy and to be a special teamer to fly down the field on punt/kick coverage and get after it.

40 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

One year of production and the production wasn’t even that great. I just see someone taking him maybe in the 7th as a developmental guy and to be a special teamer to fly down the field on punt/kick coverage and get after it.

Bingo, this is exactly the type of guy you take in the 7th or as an UDFA.

13 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Serious question, how do you justify saying a guy is top 1% if you don't have a shuttle or 3 cone?  Thats way more important than a 40.

Yeah that Mathbomb dude admitted every segment is weighted equally, and bypassed over if you don’t do it. It’s then averaged as the score. It basically means you don’t have to do an element which might negatively impact your score. As a result, dudes with below averages bench presses, for example, are getting negatively impacted scores.

22 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Serious question, how do you justify saying a guy is top 1% if you don't have a shuttle or 3 cone?  Thats way more important than a 40.

40 is almost irrelevant for offensive line, unless you are bottom tier bad.  Somebody who doesn't do a test when they are healthy is an instant red flag for me.

16 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

40 is almost irrelevant for offensive line, unless you are bottom tier bad.  Somebody who doesn't do a test when they are healthy is an instant red flag for me.

I only care about 40 for WRs and CBs, a little for TEs, RBs, and LBs.  OL and DL should only do 10 yard splits.

Just now, goldfishwars said:

It’s massively overblown for WRs imo 

Don't disagree.  In fact, I've gotten to where I knock a WR who has an elite 40 time cause they tend to have only used speed to get open in college and have no clue how to actually run a route and separate.

There's a goldilocks zone for WRs imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Don't disagree.  In fact, I've gotten to where I knock a WR who has an elite 40 time cause they tend to have only used speed to get open in college and have no clue how to actually run a route and separate.

Yeah. I kind of like it to see how easy they move and to ensure they can hit certain thresholds. But if a receiver has been a very good possession receiver in college, he’s doing that with skills other than running fast in a straight line. Equally, if a player has been a deep threat throughout college - that’s confirmation enough of what he is in pads. I think fast or slow forties mess with heads too much. WR’s with no resume and fast forties are the biggest fool’s gold out there.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Yeah, CBs too.  I struggle to think of a crazy fast WR or CB that wasn't already an elite prospect who turned into a good player in the NFL.

Bad 40 times make people underrate the tape too.  Remember how pre-cobine, Deandre Hopkins was an obvious top 10 pick, then he had a bad 40 and went all the way to the 20s because of it?  And instead, super elite 40 time Tavon Austin went first at WR.

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, CBs too.  I struggle to think of a crazy fast WR or CB that wasn't already an elite prospect who turned into a good player in the NFL.

Bad 40 times make people underrate the tape too.  Remember how pre-cobine, Deandre Hopkins was an obvious top 10 pick, then he had a bad 40 and went all the way to the 20s because of it?  And instead, super elite 40 time Tavon Austin went first at WR.

Tyreek Hill and Tariq Woolen come to mind