Vikings release WR Adam Thielen

SteelKing728

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He's a mediocre possession guy now. He's not anything more than a #3 anymore.

#3 is still incredibly valuable though. 

The Roaders were running a #4/5 as the defacto #2 last year. Been that way for a while, and has bitten us a few times. 

• Like 1

I'm not too shocked by this move. He is a very good #3 WR and someone I'd have liked to keep around. But two things likely kept that from happening. Firstly, the WR FA market is thin, so there was less need for him to take a paycut. And his number compared to his role are just too far off for the Vikings. Maybe some teams could have swung it, but Vikings couldn't.

Also, it's worth  noting I'm seeing that it wasn't with a Post 6/1 designation which would have freed up more cap space, but later.

• Like 2

He's bad now. He doesn't get open as much/as well as he used to, and he offers absolutely nothing after the catch. KJ Osborn overtook Thielen as the 3rd/4th receiving option on the Vikings last year.

He's a good guy and he had an awesome, out of nowhere career, but I think he is just about done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

...to go to Baltimore? Why would any WR want to go there...before or after a Lamar Jackson trade?

Is he in a position to be choosy? It’s a good place to get playtime at least. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Is he in a position to be choosy? It’s a good place to get playtime at least. 

Actually, I think he is. He's by far the best available FA WR. I'd love him in Baltimore, but I doubt we can afford him / I doubt he'd want to come here without knowing who the QB is going to be.

• Like 3