Your top 3 fan favorite FA signings ever.

TecmoSuperJoe

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

What about Steve Hutchinson? :)

That would be up there, but in response to his signing (with the poison pill), Seattle used similar tactics to poach Nate Burleson (merely a good player, but a fan favorite), so I was a little soured on it.

14 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I was 19 when Reggie signed with GB.  I'll never forget the exact moment when I heard he signed.  Good times.

1) Reggie White

All others are a distant, distant second and third.

Woodson and Z were great signings, but also neither were necessarily a slam-dunk "HOLY CRAP" moment, I remember discussion that we overpaid both times (Woodson was, by the end, UNDERpaid and Z was fair compensation) 

When Reggie signed, we knew that 90s team was legit. 

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Woodson and Z were great signings, but also neither were necessarily a slam-dunk "HOLY CRAP" moment, I remember discussion that we overpaid both times (Woodson was, by the end, UNDERpaid and Z was fair compensation) 

Reggie was and still might be the greatest free agent signing in the history of the NFL.  And if he is not, he's clearly the best Packers FA signing ever.

All those other guys?  I remember being happy, but not elated like when we got Reggie.  

The other signings that I remember loving at the time...Sean Jones and Santana Dotson.  Great compliments to Reggie.

The other pickup that had me thrilled?  Andre Rison.  We really needed a receiver at the time.  And while he didn't put up huge numbers, he was one of the better mid season pickups (without a trade).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Won't count Reggie White because I was 2 when that happened.

1. Charles Woodson

2. Julius Peppers

3. Za'Darius Smith

You were only 2??  You are making me feel ancient.  I was 39 at the time.  lol

1.  Reggie

2. Charles 

3. Santana Dotson in 1996.  His presence along with Reggie made the Packers' D the best in the league.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

But in hindsight we don't get into SB XLV without Charles.  His leadership on and off the field were as vital as Reggie's was in 1996.

46 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Reggie was and still might be the greatest free agent signing in the history of the NFL.  And if he is not, he's clearly the best Packers FA signing ever.

All those other guys?  I remember being happy, but not elated like when we got Reggie.  

The other signings that I remember loving at the time...Sean Jones and Santana Dotson.  Great compliments to Reggie.

The other pickup that had me thrilled?  Andre Rison.  We really needed a receiver at the time.  And while he didn't put up huge numbers, he was one of the better mid season pickups (without a trade).

I was sorry Rison wasn't resigned in 1997.

29 minutes ago, Pugger said:

But in hindsight we don't get into SB XLV without Charles.  His leadership on and off the field were as vital as Reggie's was in 1996.

Yeah, but...he didn't want to come to GB.  He was seen as a declining or unhappy talent for the Raiders at the time.  His signing happened because no one else wanted him.

He turned into something much more than that with time in GB.  But at the time of the signing, it was pretty "meh" for me.

Joe Montana - basically how I became a Chiefs fan, felt like the chip was coming (close but no cigar) 

Priest Holmes - I was a big horns fan so I had a feeling he'd be something if he got a shot. I used to always trade with the Ravens to get him in Madden haha

Andre Rison - Spiderman himself 😉 just stoked about his talent and he did pretty well considering. Side note: I met him during training camp and dude was kind of a prick lol

On 3/18/2023 at 4:26 PM, Chiefs_5627 said:

Joe Montana - basically how I became a Chiefs fan, felt like the chip was coming (close but no cigar) 

Priest Holmes - I was a big horns fan so I had a feeling he'd be something if he got a shot. I used to always trade with the Ravens to get him in Madden haha

Andre Rison - Spiderman himself 😉 just stoked about his talent and he did pretty well considering. Side note: I met him during training camp and dude was kind of a prick lol

This does not surprise me in the least. Never met him but watching some of his interactions on NFL Films, this seemed like the most likely case.

• Like 2

1. Steve Smith Sr. - Dude brought such an edge to the team and it was amazing
  2. Mark Ingram - Same with Smitty, Mark brought a great clubhouse vibe and was a great player for the 2019 Lamar MVP team
  3. Eric Weddle - Instantly came in and elevated our defense and to this day is a true Ravens homie

HM: Brandon Carr, Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Woodson, Matt Birk, Jacoby Jones

Bear in mind the Lions have never attracted too many star players to sign with them, or if they did, who stayed and contributed for long.

Kyle Vanden Bosch, 2010: Rebuilding from their 0-16 season, he was a solid professional who helped stabilize the team for a few years

Glover Quin, 2013: Rare established quality player who came to the Lions, he gave them six very good years and was key to a couple of playoff teams

Golden Tate, 2014: Like Quin, was an established player but had his best career stretch with the Lions, including a few 90-catch seasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Bear in mind the Lions have never attracted too many star players to sign with them, or if they did, who stayed and contributed for long.

Kyle Vanden Bosch, 2010: Rebuilding from their 0-16 season, he was a solid professional who helped stabilize the team for a few years

Glover Quin, 2013: Rare established quality player who came to the Lions, he gave them six very good years and was key to a couple of playoff teams

Golden Tate, 2014: Like Quin, was an established player but had his best career stretch with the Lions, including a few 90-catch seasons.

Only other good ones that come to mind are Nate Burleson and Reggie Bush. Both came as established guys and contributed to our offense significantly. I think CJGJ can be added to this list once he plays. 

Lions don’t normally get free agents that aren’t on their last legs or massively overpaid.