Your 3 worst free agent signings of your favorite team of all-time?

Steelersfan43

Off the top of my head…

OT Langdon Walker. Signed a 5 year $25 million deal in 2007.

OL Derrick Dockery signed a 7 year $49 million deal in 2007.

They each only lasted two seasons.

and then DE Mark Anderson. Signed with less fan fair because it was the same year we got Mario Williams, Anderson was a typical ex Patriot who rebounded his career there, hits free agency, gets over paid and does nothing. Signed a 4 year $20 million deal and only played in 5 games before getting injured then released in the off season. 

On 3/20/2023 at 9:40 PM, NYRaider said:

This is difficult as a Raiders fan, we've had so many terrible FA signings over the years. 

1. Javon Walker

2. Trent Brown

3. Corey Littleton 

1. Javon Walker -- lol yeah, coming off his bad year in Denver still living off his GB hype and paid 40 something mil and immediately wanted to retire. He "played" a year and retired with 20 mil from the Raiders for like 200 yards.

2. Larry Brown -- The year is 1995 Deion Sanders had joined the Dallas Cowboys and played opposite Larry Brown. The Cowboys won the Super Bowl and Larry Brown was awarded Super Bowl MVP. Al paid him to join the Dark Side that 1996 offseason. Larry Brown in 1995 was the 14th highest salary in the NFL at 4.3 mil, higher than the following players:
Steve Young - 4.0 mil
Dan Marino - 3.9 mil
Bruce Smith - 3.9 mil
Troy Aikman - 3.5 mil
John Elway - 3.0 mil
Barry Sanders - 2.9 mil
Brett Farve - 2.9 mil
Jim Kelly - 2.8 mil
Reggie White - 2.8 mil
Junior Seau - 2.8 mil
Thurman Thomas - 2.8 mil
Boomer Esiason - 2.8 mil
Randall Cunningham - 2.8 mil
Warren Sapp - 2.7 mil
Emmitt Smith - 2.4 mil
Jerry Rice - 2.2 mil
Warren Moon - 2.1 mil
Tim Brown - 2.0 mil (the next highest paid Raider)

The following year he was a backup on the Raiders before being cut. Shout out Desmond Howard, Gibril Wilson and Malcolm Smith for being less dramatic versions of SB winners (two more SB MVPs in Howard and Smith's cases) cashing in on the Raiders.

3. Aaron Brooks - Remember him? Signed him from the Saints and then he lost every game for us until he was benched for Andrew Walter (lol). He lost so many games we ended up drafting Jamarcus Russell to replace him. I'm giving him the third slot for butterfly effecting us into Jamarcus. If I remember right he's like Mike Vick's cousin or something like that. Game one he had obiliterated by the Chargers of all teams and we lost 27 - 0, he then dislocated his shoulder the next week and Walter won us a couple games. Then Brooks returned and kept losing finishing with three TDs, eight INTs, and 26 sacks in only 192 passing attempts (a David Carr-ish sack rate that should have inspired Al to draft Joe Thomas instead of Jamarcus if only Brooks had shown anything at all).

On 4/3/2023 at 1:09 AM, Trojan said:

1. Javon Walker -- lol yeah, coming off his bad year in Denver still living off his GB hype and paid 40 something mil and immediately wanted to retire. He "played" a year and retired with 20 mil from the Raiders for like 200 yards.

To be fair, Darrent Williams died in his arms on New Years Eve, 2006. I don't think he was the same after that. 

On 3/18/2023 at 1:28 PM, Danger said:

Nnamdi Asomugha

They didn’t use him correctly. Kept doing off-man coverage and zone coverage. Dude is a physical press-man corner. Every play. Not sure what the Eagles were thinking. Nnamdi was a Top 2 cover corner from 2006-2010. It was him and Champ in 06 as the best. 07 was Nnamdi himself. And 08-10 with Revis. 

On 3/20/2023 at 9:12 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Can we throw Michael Huff into this as well? We signed him, he played a massive part in Peyton Manning's record opening night against us, then was cut a couple weeks later.

Why you would sign Huff as your starter beats me… all of us Raider fans could have told you that was a terrible idea. 

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I was on record as a huge Michael Huff fan at the time so I can't say anything lol

I think I remember warning you on the EA forum ten years ago. Or maybe that was here. All fuzzy. Been posting on here since 2005 (but really got active around 2012). And posted over there pretty actively around 2007-2012 before Madden became a total **** show of a game. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

They didn’t use him correctly. Kept doing off-man coverage and zone coverage. Dude is a physical press-man corner. Every play. Not sure what the Eagles were thinking. Nnamdi was a Top 2 cover corner from 2006-2010. It was him and Champ in 06 as the best. 07 was Nnamdi himself. And 08-10 with Revis. 

The two things are not mutually exclusive. 

Nnamdi also was just an awkward dude and could not fit in with this team.

Dude would eat lunch by himself in the car.

On 4/8/2023 at 11:44 PM, Danger said:

The two things are not mutually exclusive. 

Nnamdi also was just an awkward dude and could not fit in with this team.

Dude would eat lunch by himself in the car.

Nnamdi remains quite literally the most overrated player to ever play in the NFL in the entire NFLs history in existence of football

41 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Nnamdi remains quite literally the most overrated player to ever play in the NFL in the entire NFLs history in existence of football

For someone who was supposed to be the elite corner in the league, he got humiliated by Victor Cruz in week 2 and it had nothing to do with scheme. On the first TD he and Kurt Coleman crashed into each other after biting on a pretty generic juke by Vic, letting him take it to the house. Then he got obliterated on a 1 on 1 jump ball against the smaller Cruz in the exact scenario where a physical press guy was supposed to earn his money.

I think he was one of those guys who got overrated by ancient "advanced" stats that we only understood at a superficial level at the time.

24 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

For someone who was supposed to be the elite corner in the league, he got humiliated by Victor Cruz in week 2 and it had nothing to do with scheme. On the first TD he and Kurt Coleman crashed into each other after biting on a pretty generic juke by Vic, letting him take it to the house. Then he got obliterated on a 1 on 1 jump ball against the smaller Cruz in the exact scenario where a physical press guy was supposed to earn his money.

I think he was one of those guys who got overrated by ancient "advanced" stats that we only understood at a superficial level at the time.

Ive just never seen someone who had 3 good seasons in a otherwise bad career, in which he was never the best at his position at any point in time, still get talked about or even remembered 15 years later like he does.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ive just never seen someone who had 3 good seasons in a otherwise bad career, in which he was never the best at his position at any point in time, still get talked about or even remembered 15 years later like he does.

Oh man the scrabble hype always disgusted me. One of the most overrated players of my generation 

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Oh man the scrabble hype always disgusted me. One of the most overrated players of my generation 

He wasn't that highly rated coming out of college (I think some people had him as a third-round pick). The Raiders must have used him the right way. He was never on Revis's or Champ's level.