Your 3 worst free agent signings of your favorite team of all-time?

Steelersfan43

Easy one for the Bengals...

1.  Antonio Bryant.  Signed for nearly 30 mill.  Somehow passed the signing physical, but "injured" twenty minutes into the first camp practice.  never played a down.  Mike Brown avoided free agency for a few years following, as if every FA somehow was injured or something stupid.

2.  Trae Waynes  Agreed to terms during COVID, but since his agent advised him to not even work out until the ink met paper, he did nothing.  Then tore his pec during an after practice lifting session.  Became injured the whole time he was here.

3.  Preston Brown   Brought the hometown kid home for a three year deal.  Was an out of date player here.  Marvin never seemed to adjust his prototype.  Needless to say, it didn't work out.  He got cut mid year two.

Honorable Mention  Gus Frerotte  Anyone trying to throw left handed to avoid a sack, only to turn it into a pick six should vbe barred permanently from the league.  After he left, his play did it anyway.

Laverneus Coles   We are great at drafting WRs.  We suck at bringing them in as top end free agents.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:40 PM, AngusMcFife said:

Off the top of my head, for Ravens I'll go:

Elvis Grbac
Earl Thomas (he did play well for 1 year) 
Joe Flacco 

At first I thought you were thoroughly confused, but I suppose you’re commenting on him signing his record deal and crippling the team to mediocrity?

I don’t disagree, but I think the spirit of the thread is free agents that weren’t home grown.

Your first two certainly came to mind for me as well. I’ll go:

1. Elvis Grbac- Sucked and was hyped to be the guy to finally solve our QB woes.

2. Lee Evans- No durability and then dropped a crucial TD that would’ve put our “destiny team” above the Pats with little time left in the game. Might’ve completed the run a year early.

3. Earl Thomas- Was a prick, talked a big game, embarrassed the squad, cost a penny, and then got used as Henry’s FB come playoff time.

HM: Billy Cundiff- Wide left, only reason he’s not higher is he’s a kicker, he was actually pretty good the year prior, and as a kicker the mistake didn’t cost much monetarily.

• Like 1

Kenny Golladay, Nate Solder, Lavar Arrington.

HMs to the other 2018 disasters who Dave Gettleman signed for way more money than they'd ever get anywhere else. Kareem Martin (3 years, $21 mill in 2018; played in 21 games over 2 years and had 1.5 sacks), Patrick Omameh (3 years, $15 mill in 2018; started 6 awful games before getting hurt and cut in the same season he was signed), and a washed Jonathan Stewart (2 years, $7 mill in 2018; played in 3 games and had 6 carries for 17 yards).

Browns:

1. LeCharles Bentley
“Injuries killed him. No fault on him or the organization—just bad luck.”

2. Gary Baxter
“Kinda same. Blew out both knees in 1 play. Sucks to be him.”

3. Dwayne Bowe
“Garbage. Didn’t try. Wasn’t good. Total and utter bust of a roster spot.”

HM:

1. Kenny Britt
2. Robert Griffin The Turd
3. Andre Rison (apparently…b4 my time)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

At first I thought you were thoroughly confused, but I suppose you’re commenting on him signing his record deal and crippling the team to mediocrity?

I don’t disagree, but I think the spirit of the thread is free agents that weren’t home grown.

Your first two certainly came to mind for me as well. I’ll go:

1. Elvis Grbac- Sucked and was hyped to be the guy to finally solve our QB woes.

2. Lee Evans- No durability and then dropped a crucial TD that would’ve put our “destiny team” above the Pats with little time left in the game. Might’ve completed the run a year early.

3. Earl Thomas- Was a prick, talked a big game, embarrassed the squad, cost a penny, and then got used as Henry’s FB come playoff time.

HM: Billy Cundiff- Wide left, only reason he’s not higher is he’s a kicker, he was actually pretty good the year prior, and as a kicker the mistake didn’t cost much monetarily.

Can we throw Michael Huff into this as well? We signed him, he played a massive part in Peyton Manning's record opening night against us, then was cut a couple weeks later.

On 3/18/2023 at 5:52 PM, INbengalfan said:

Easy one for the Bengals...

1.  Antonio Bryant.  Signed for nearly 30 mill.  Somehow passed the signing physical, but "injured" twenty minutes into the first camp practice.  never played a down.  Mike Brown avoided free agency for a few years following, as if every FA somehow was injured or something stupid.

2.  Trae Waynes  Agreed to terms during COVID, but since his agent advised him to not even work out until the ink met paper, he did nothing.  Then tore his pec during an after practice lifting session.  Became injured the whole time he was here.

3.  Preston Brown   Brought the hometown kid home for a three year deal.  Was an out of date player here.  Marvin never seemed to adjust his prototype.  Needless to say, it didn't work out.  He got cut mid year two.

Honorable Mention  Gus Frerotte  Anyone trying to throw left handed to avoid a sack, only to turn it into a pick six should vbe barred permanently from the league.  After he left, his play did it anyway.

Laverneus Coles   We are great at drafting WRs.  We suck at bringing them in as top end free agents.

oh man. I had washed that from my memory some how, now it's back in there.. Worst thing ever

• Like 1

1. Dale Carter (1999): Brought over from the Chiefs, he was a huge disappointment, and lasted only one year.

2. Daryl Gardener (2003): DT only played a handful of games, and got trouble getting in a fight at IHOP.

3. Case Keenum (2018): Another dumb Elway signing that was bad from the start.

Matt Kalil is the worst for us. I've seen my fair share of bad OTs being a Panthers fan... but Kalil is right up there with the worst of them

Panthers don't really have that many that stick out though.  Mainly because we aren't usually big players in free agency.  Even Bridgewater wasn't THAT bad in the grand scheme of things.  Now top 5 worst contract extensions... could definitely make a big list out of that.  Jake Delhomme for starters.

• Like 1