Your 3 worst free agent signings of your favorite team of all-time?

Steelersfan43

Chargers:
1. Derek Cox: The modern incarnation of Toast Patterson. Just absolute garbage.

2. Chris Harris Jr.: Too old and slow to keep up anymore, and would cry and moan after every single completion that he gave up and blame it on someone else. Hilarious to see Derwin explode on him once.

3. David Boston: Bodybuilder diva who couldn't catch. One of the first huge FA Busts.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:25 AM, MikeT14 said:

Albert Haynesworth

Adam Archuleta

Jeff George

(plenty more to pick, but those are my 3)

I don’t see how one can be limited to three, because I would immediately consider Deion Sanders for this list too.  Jeff George has to be on it, because he took over for Brad Johnson who won the Super Bowl the next year in Tampa.  Fat Albert is, well, Fat Albert.  Brandon Lloyd got paid $31 million ($10 guaranteed) to catch 25 passes for 379 yards and no touchdowns.  

Then, you also have Jeremiah Trotter and Bruce Smith (though to be fair, Smith was still an effective pass-rusher just not worth the contract) and one can also likely include Alex Smith in this as well.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don’t see how one can be limited to three, because I would immediately consider Deion Sanders for this list too.  Jeff George has to be on it, because he took over for Brad Johnson who won the Super Bowl the next year in Tampa.  Fat Albert is, well, Fat Albert.  Brandon Lloyd got paid $31 million ($10 guaranteed) to catch 25 passes for 379 yards and no touchdowns.  

Then, you also have Jeremiah Trotter and Bruce Smith (though to be fair, Smith was still an effective pass-rusher just not worth the contract) and one can also likely include Alex Smith in this as well.  

It was hard. The only reason why I didn't have Deion was ... he played well in the one year lol. 

1. Brock Osweiler 4y/$72m (2016) to play 15 games and throw 16 picks.

2. Ahman Green 4y/$23m (2007) to play a dozen games and retire 2 years later.

3. Ed Reed 3y/$15m (2013) played badly for a few games, pissed off the entire staff and retired the next off-season.

2 major wastes of money and then just a waste of time.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 9:05 AM, iknowcool said:

Matt Kalil is the worst for us. I've seen my fair share of bad OTs being a Panthers fan... but Kalil is right up there with the worst of them

Panthers don't really have that many that stick out though.  Mainly because we aren't usually big players in free agency.  Even Bridgewater wasn't THAT bad in the grand scheme of things.  Now top 5 worst contract extensions... could definitely make a big list out of that.  Jake Delhomme for starters.

Keyshawn?

Steelers dont typically make big money FA acquisitions, so when ours fail, its not as devastating as guys like Albert Haynsworth and Nnamdi Asomugha.

Sean Mahan always comes to mind from 2007.    He was signed to a 5 year deal, and even though it wasn't crazy money, we traded him after 1 year of what was some of the worst center play Ive ever seen.

Jonathan Scott was horrible, but the expectations were lower for him.

Most recently, Melvin Ingram was a bust for us.    Sucks, because most Steeler fans were excited by the signing, including myself.   He looked pretty good in preseason, but as soon as the season started, he couldn't get off a block to save his life.   Then he complained he wasnt getting more play time and we traded him to the Chiefs, where he actually played much better.   Not sure what the issue was, but he was still a free agent bust for Pittsburgh.

9 hours ago, UKTexans said:

1. Brock Osweiler 4y/$72m (2016) to play 15 games and throw 16 picks.

2. Ahman Green 4y/$23m (2007) to play a dozen games and retire 2 years later.

3. Ed Reed 3y/$15m (2013) played badly for a few games, pissed off the entire staff and retired the next off-season.

2 major wastes of money and then just a waste of time.

Reed was SOOOO washed on the Texans lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bears - just going off 2000 on.

1. Ray McDonald - dude was signed with a history of domestic violence and was arrested right after for assaulting someone holding a baby. Ive been a prety well established fan of second chances but sometimes you know they're going to blow up and man this dude did. Complete POS.

2. Mike Glennon - Pace wanted to throw people off his scent that he was going for a QB, most of us knew he was making a terrible bluff or tanking for the year.

3. Double Doink - dude folded like a lawn chair underrated pressure and was one of the highest paid kickers in the league. Pace bid against himself - which was a repeat.issue for him - but this one really cost the franchise.

Wanted to put Jared Allen (Terrible scheme fit) or Orlando Pace (overpaid the corpse of a HOF great), or Jay "I'm the devil" Ratliff.