Would it be fair to say that Eli Manning has been below average for 75% of his career?

patriotsheatyan

22 hours ago, 808 said:

No player has ever needed two Super Bowl rings more than Eli to get a chance at a Hall of Fame induction.

He'll get in at some point. 

Eli Manning did earn those rings, you can say other HOF players needed rings as well. It's not the HOF of stats, I'll take Eli over Tony Romo any day of the week.

Here's my thing. 

Ben imo is a much better QB than Eli. I don't think most people would argue that. Ben is basically getting in off two Super Bowls. He's the minimum requirement imo. 

Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers ALL have very good cases without Super Bowls. 

• Ken Anderson
  • Matt Hasselbeck
  • Donovan McNabb
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • Steve McNair

Question for Eli to the Hall of Fame: All of these guys roughly played at or on a higher level of Eli Manning for their careers. If they were lucky enough to win the Super Bowl that they starter in do all of these guys become Hall of Famers?

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

If he is just average or slightly above should such a player be considered for the HOF?  Shouldn't it be reserved for more than slightly above average?  His 2 rings are nice but not definitive. We have 7 QBs in there now who are ringless who could be argued were better than Eli.

Ive said quite a few times that I dont think Eli was consistently a good enough QB throughout his career to be in the HOF.   However, its Hall of FAME....not Hall of ELITE PLAYERS.    He has bulk stats, rings and moments, so that will be enough to get him in.

6 hours ago, Malik said:
  • Ken Anderson
  • Matt Hasselbeck
  • Donovan McNabb
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • Steve McNair

Question for Eli to the Hall of Fame: All of these guys roughly played at or on a higher level of Eli Manning for their careers. If they were lucky enough to win the Super Bowl that they starter in do all of these guys become Hall of Famers?

Like it or not, SBs go a long way.    Eli has the memorable moments and he was pretty damn good in his playoff runs....which will give him a leg up on QBs who were consistently better QBs but dont have said moments or rings.    Not saying its right, but it is what it is.

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Like it or not, SBs go a long way.    Eli has the memorable moments and he was pretty damn good in his playoff runs....which will give him a leg up on QBs who were consistently better QBs but dont have said moments or rings.    Not saying its right, but it is what it is.

But do you personally believe any of those players are now Hall of Fame worthy if they win their Super Bowl. I understand (and agree) that championships and overall playoff performances should matter. But I think I disagree with a lot of people to what degree.

13 minutes ago, Malik said:

But do you personally believe any of those players are now Hall of Fame worthy if they win their Super Bowl. I understand (and agree) that championships and overall playoff performances should matter. But I think I disagree with a lot of people to what degree.

Not really, but if they won 2 rings as starting QBs, I think they would at least have a chance, whereas they have no shot otherwise.   Same with Eli....not taking away what he did, but if you were to take away those two SB runs, would anyone even remotely think of him as a HOF QB? 

Investment doesn't matter, it's the return on investment.  You could invest five first round picks in receiver and tight end.  If they all suck, they all suck.  Beckham Jr. is a great receiver, but BMac is a bad head coach and his offense is stupid.  Eli was an above average QB.  If you think otherwise, do yourself a favor and find out how many quarterbacks started a game from the time Eli started to now. 

Archived